Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the advice, I've emailed Tesla to ask if I can get the updated tails :) Funny it didn't look 100% new when I received it, it didn't look used but it had finger prints and other markings that suggested it hadn't come off the factory line. The Type 2 cable I got at the same time was clearly brand-new. Thanks again!

Bascially you need a Wifi connection, and after the charger has finished charging, it will then go looking for an update.
You don't need a WiFi connection at the time of the UMC update - the update is contained within the car firmware, if the car is at a new enough version it can update the UMC without further connection to the Tesla servers.

I think you might be on the money with your suggestion that the delivery firmware won't do it.

• Helpful
Reactions: RichardV
There have been a few threads on here about the 8A - 10A upgrade being a crap shoot.

Charging to a limit and leaving it plugged in helps your chances of the update happening, but as many people have reported on here it might take a few goes for the upgrade to proceed.

Quick update, I contacted Tesla and they were happy to swap out the tails for the 10A/15A ones. I think given this is how they're advertised, and Tweeted about, they kind of had too. That said they were very accommodating and didn't mention any issue with my request.

If they have old stock lying around I hope they don't dispose of them. They should wack them up on their store as 8A/12A and a little cheaper. That way customers who don't plan on using them (unlike me) but just want them in the boot as an emergency backup might appreciate the price saving Vs the extra amperage.

All's well that ends well.

My tails say 10/10 and 15/15 and I am still only seeing 8 Amps. It is not a huge deal to me ultimately, but it is interesting that these variations exist.

Tails and Wifi... check. I have done 11 charging sessions, all but one has ended at the charging limit. Still no joy. I think it might take the car firmware to update before this happens. The car firmware has other potential later versions but the Tesla update scheduling algorithm is somewhat opaque.
Just to confirm for future readers.
The as-delivered car firmware (2022.15.102) and charger were limited to 8 Amps on a 10 Amp tail.
Following this morning's update to 2022.24.5 and a charging session the limit is now 10 Amps.

I’m heading to Melbourne on Friday and then doing some touring in the less flooded parts of the wine country
I haven’t got around to buying a type 2 cable, so thinking of ordering one
last minute I know, but are Tesla likely to get one to me within four days?

I’m heading to Melbourne on Friday and then doing some touring in the less flooded parts of the wine country
I haven’t got around to buying a type 2 cable, so thinking of ordering one
If you are a member of TOCA you could borrow one from their adapter loan program. Tesla Owners Club of Australia

Reactions: Hairyman

When I ordered from Jetcharge it was shipped next day. Though they are currently out of stock.

If you are a member of TOCA you could borrow one from their adapter loan program. Tesla Owners Club of Australia
Thanks for the plug Mike, and yes the adaptor loan program is *just* another benefit of being a TOCA Club member.
In fact, I am reliably informed there is a 22kW Type 2 cable currently out on loan returning this week "just in time" to go out again on Friday and "could" be personally delivered to Richard should he do the mandatory Supercharger stop at Camberwell or Richmond on arrival.
Login here and submit the request (you need to be logged in to view).