Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anything need to be changed software side to enable a DIY added OEM trailer wiring module for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tow hitch receiver bracket has finally arrived from Poland, albeit almost a week late due to customs delays. So, hopefully I'll be fitting it this weekend. @doats1 , when you removed the rear crash beam and replaced it with the tow hitch receiver bracket, did you fit nylon washers between it and the body? There's no mention of the in the procedure, so I'm guessing it's just metal to metal right? I see almost all aftermarket tow hitch's use them, what's your opinion please?

The tow hitch receiver bracket has finally arrived from Poland, albeit almost a week late due to customs delays. So, hopefully I'll be fitting it this weekend. @doats1 , when you removed the rear crash beam and replaced it with the tow hitch receiver bracket, did you fit nylon washers between it and the body? There's no mention of the in the procedure, so I'm guessing it's just metal to metal right? I see almost all aftermarket tow hitch's use them, what's your opinion please?
I didn’t install washers, the Tesla manual doesn’t mention it for securing the receiver onto the body:

But you do need one for securing the ECU to the receiver. I believe it comes with the ECU.

I should add that the crash beam is secured against a pair of brackets. Both the beam and the brackets need to be removed to install the receiver. I don’t think either of them have washers.

Reactions: Garethrn
People that have the OEM Tesla trailer lighting module for the Model 3, does the Tesla model 3 module have populated and active pinouts for the Low Voltage DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11, typically used for things like charging a trailer mounted battery, brake controllers, etc?

Specifically for the older FLA 12Vdc system on Model 3? And curious was LV output changed/omitted with newer Li Ion 16Vdc LV system as with the newer Model Y?

Did any iteration of the Model 3 OEM Tesla trailer lighting module support DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11?

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 1.10.20 PM.png

People that have the OEM Tesla trailer lighting module for the Model 3, does the Tesla model 3 module have populated and active pinouts for the Low Voltage DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11, typically used for things like charging a trailer mounted battery, brake controllers, etc?

Specifically for the older FLA 12Vdc system on Model 3? And curious was LV output changed/omitted with newer Li Ion 16Vdc LV system as with the newer Model Y?

Did any iteration of the Model 3 OEM Tesla trailer lighting module support DC output on Pins 9/13 and 10/11?

View attachment 1051396
Pins 9-13 are not active for current Model 3's and I doubt they ever will be given the limited towing capacity.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-BD9A38D5-4410-45A3-8337-BDF7342750F3.html

Reactions: rotarypower101
I finally got round to fitting the tow hitch today, so a big thank you to everyone that chipped in, especially @doats1 I simply couldn't have done it without you. The hardware fitting process took around 1 hr 30 mins (I was genuinely surprised how quickly it went on) and the toolbox session was done in minutes. This clearly doesn't include the countless hours I've spent researching and watching tutorials 🤣. I thought I'd add a few pics for anyone that's interested. Overall it was very simple and one of the only jobs on a car where I haven't lost any skin off knuckles or sliced my hand on a sharp piece of plastic or metal LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPEG
    IMG_0749.JPEG
    499.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0751.JPEG
    IMG_0751.JPEG
    275.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0758.JPEG
    IMG_0758.JPEG
    340.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0740.JPEG
    IMG_0740.JPEG
    591.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0745.JPEG
    IMG_0745.JPEG
    408.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0747.JPEG
    IMG_0747.JPEG
    554.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0748.JPEG
    IMG_0748.JPEG
    464.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0753.JPEG
    IMG_0753.JPEG
    483.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Love
Reactions: doats1
Nice! I hope you get lots of good use out of it.

Mine is still going strong after hundreds of miles of use:

IMG_8071.jpeg

First few drives were a bit anxious but all good now. It’s been such a great addition for road trips (currently using for the half term holiday); in hindsight I wish I specced it when I ordered.

Nice! I hope you get lots of good use out of it.

Mine is still going strong after hundreds of miles of use:

View attachment 1051983

First few drives were a bit anxious but all good now. It’s been such a great addition for road trips (currently using for the half term holiday); in hindsight I wish I specced it when I ordered.
I think my first few drives will be a little anxious to LOL! Thanks again though mate, you've really been a great help, it's greatly appreciated! Have fun during the half term holiday's. It's a shame the weather's not been better (standard half term weather), my kids are climbing the walls! Although we managed to get to Weymouth yesterday with no torrential down poors 😅.