Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And they are as important as anything. In fact many civil technological advanced came from the military. Are you suggesting DARPA an space exploration aren’t valid defense research? Or that it’s not important to research medicine so we can be the first country to develop and deploy a vaccine to help end a global pandemic?
Really, where do you think the research was done on the first 2 Covid vaccines platforms to get approved?? Think you’ll find it was Germany (BioNTech) and UK (Oxford). The innovation/research stage happened in Europe with Pfizer US coming in to scale up manufacturing and trial work.

The US does great R&D but so do other countries (better in some areas) and global collaboration is needed to deliver to the whole planet.

I was just commenting on some of the pictures. I'm one of those here who think the world has too many people.

Read it. Quite entertaining.

The person you're responding to was advocating building a Dyson sphere (only way to trap all of the sun's energy). That's well beyond where Earth is today.

Building a colony on Mars is a step towards further developments and advancements, but while visiting Mars in the next decade might be possible, establishing a permanent colony is going to be difficult. I think building space stations and building a base on the moon would be better steps.

Mining the asteroid belt has the advantage of being in low gravity where resources could be mined without going into a gravity well.
Mars isn’t really relevant to the future of humanity, or the earth.

Really, where do you think the research was done on the first 2 Covid vaccines platforms to get approved?? Think you’ll find it was Germany (BioNTech) and UK (Oxford). The innovation/research stage happened in Europe with Pfizer US coming in to scale up manufacturing and trial work.

The US does great R&D but so do other countries (better in some areas) and global collaboration is needed to deliver to the whole planet.

American companies paid for the research and development. Pfizer, an American company has the first vaccine.

I never said America was the best, I was refuting an erroneous claim that pharma and defense research wasn’t real research

Reactions: FlatSix911
Where we are headed is a nation more in line with the Third World, where ever less is spent on R&D, STEM etc. and where, thanks to opinion bubbles financed by oil industry libertarians, any serious attempt at reducing the effects of climate change is officially undermined, mocked and ridiculed.
It does appear that denial-as-a-method has been replaced with trolling-as-a-method, part of a pseudo-libertarian freedom-to-deceive, the removal of a common understanding of science and facts from politics in favor of personality cults and the like.

Elon showing poor judgement again

Late last year, Jared Birchall cornered his boss, Elon Musk.
Mr. Birchall, a straight-laced, 48-year-old wealth manager who rose to become Mr. Musk’s top deputy and the head of his family office, had growing concerns about a new power player in the Tesla Inc. TSLA 0.74%▲ CEO’s orbit.
Mr. Musk was increasingly relying on a new adviser, a 34-year-old, Russian-born ex-professional gambler named Igor Kurganov. Mr. Kurganov spent some of the pandemic sleeping in Mr. Musk’s home, where they chatted late into the night about how the world’s richest person might use his fortune to help shape the planet through a giving strategy known as “effective altruism.”

Mr. Birchall in May asked Mr. Musk to remove Mr. Kurganov from his post at the foundation.
Mr. Musk agreed to let Mr. Kurganov go, the representative of the foundation says.
None of Mr. Musk’s money was ultimately spent on projects related to effective altruism, the representative says, and Mr. Kurganov’s Musk Foundation email was switched off roughly six weeks ago.

American companies paid for the research and development. Pfizer, an American company has the first vaccine.

I never said America was the best, I was refuting an erroneous claim that pharma and defense research wasn’t real research
Not generally common knowledge but the government does most of the medical research (National Institute of Health) and since it's a government entity it must give all research out for free without profit, so no the mRna vaccine was researched for years by Fauci and the rest. The drug companies spend more money on ads and lobbying

• Disagree
Reactions: 30seconds
Not generally common knowledge but the government does most of the medical research (National Institute of Health) and since it's a government entity it must give all research out for free without profit, so no the mRna vaccine was researched for years by Fauci and the rest. The drug companies spend more money on ads and lobbying
Correct. Before this thread gets derailed in an argument about COVID-19 vaccine development, people should read this summary:

• Disagree
Reactions: 30seconds

Your post does roughly zero to change the point of the post you are replying to. Also I would say that the drug companies pay taxes which help fund the research. It all depends on when you want to press the start button.

Status
Not open for further replies.