Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPA and "rolling coal"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ebay may have to cough up as much as $2 billion in fines for allegedly allowing
the distribution and sale of hundreds of thousands of products that significantly
increase pollution spewing from diesel pickup trucks.

Ebay may have to cough up as much as $2 billion in fines for allegedly allowing
the distribution and sale of hundreds of thousands of products that significantly
increase pollution spewing from diesel pickup trucks.

Literal definition of government over-reach. The Clean Air Act does not prohibit "allowance of distribution". The Clean Air Act prohibits selling emissions tampering devices. If EBay (who has held zero ownership of emissions tampering devices at any point ever) is held liable for "facilitating sale", then PayPal, Facebook, Comcast, and the U.S Postal service is every bit as liable too.

The Clean Air Act has been primarily used and abused by attorneys aspiring to climb the ranks in the government. Brought "justice" to society by prosecuting and fining your local manufacturing facility out of existence? You're saving the planet! You're a shoo-in for the next election when the spot above you opens up!

The prosecutors in these Clean Air Act violation cases throw around these attention grabbing numbers. A deleted truck emits 40x NOx emissions, etc. You ever wonder why the carbon dioxide numbers are never mentioned? The changes in output of carbon dioxide, the emission most responsible for global warming, is NEVER mentioned in these delete violation cases. Hmm, I wonder why that is. It's as if the truth happened to not quite fit the agenda at hand. Better to just omit the truth and hope the general population doesn't ask questions.

Literal definition of government over-reach. The Clean Air Act does not prohibit "allowance of distribution". The Clean Air Act prohibits selling emissions tampering devices. If EBay (who has held zero ownership of emissions tampering devices at any point ever) is held liable for "facilitating sale", then PayPal, Facebook, Comcast, and the U.S Postal service is every bit as liable too.
I see a resemblance with how other platforms are treated by the government. For instance, Google can no longer unconditionally
behind its policy that it is merely a provider and not responsible for what 3rd parties offer through Google.

"Overreach"? What's the point of having costly factory-installed emission devices like catalytic converters if you're not gonna
control whether they function properly. Wasn't that what the VW diesel scandal was about?

I see a resemblance with how other platforms are treated by the government. For instance, Google can no longer unconditionally
behind its policy that it is merely a provider and not responsible for what 3rd parties offer through Google.

"Overreach"? What's the point of having costly factory-installed emission devices like catalytic converters if you're not gonna
control whether they function properly. Wasn't that what the VW diesel scandal was about?
One of my EVs I caught someone with a chopsaw under the car looking for the converter, he limped away and left his tools and stolen car...man never rush a job

"Overreach"?
Going after the facilitating platforms INSTEAD of going after the sellers is government over-reach. The EPA can't be bothered to do the right thing and prosecute the small-time sellers. The litigation would cost the EPA more than the fines they could wring out from a win in court. That's why the EPA goes after Harley, Stellantis, etc, and now eBay. It's all about the money, first and foremost. Always has been.