Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evie conducting another survey on their network, although like their App, it is written in a way that assumes you don’t have more than 1 EV.

IMG_0781.jpeg

Interesting that in one of the questions it asks you to tick new features/capabilities that would make you more likely to use Evie and they list things like Plug+Charge, Idle Fees, contactless payment (which they are already trialling at some sites!), ToU charging, realtime utilisation/wait times data, registering in a queue, and reserving a charger.

Other questions are about how you mostly charge, what influences you in selecting a public charger, which charging networks you use, what kinds of locations/facilities you’d prefer at public chargers, how you navigate to them, have you ever had to wait or had any issues charging, etc.

Also did it.. kind of a weird survey that could have hidden some questions depending on how you answered others.

Also missed a trick imho.
I'm a fulltime public charger (large apartment building that is still slowly inching forward) but my decisions for day to day charging are very different to roadtrip charging.

Contactless payment is an interesting one.. I suspect it will get low priority from those who already have the Evie app. But would be much higher if done with potential EV owners.

registering in a queue, and reserving a charger
These are interesting questions.

I noticed on the kerbside charging thread that it is possible to reserve some of these chargers.

Regardless, I'm not sure how I feel about the ability to reserve a DCFC. Depending upon how it's implemented, I guess I can see pros and cons.

Pro: if everyone gets on the "reservation" game on a busy holiday weekend, for example, at least you would find out where you stand, or be able to change your plans ahead. For example, you plan to charge in Betoota at lunchtime on Saturday and eat lunch in the hotel. You pull out your Evie app, and the 16-stall Betoota charging station is already fully reserved until 4pm. No problem, you delay your travel, book the charger for 6pm and eat dinner in the hotel instead. At least you knew ahead of time and were able to change your plans.

Con: if not everyone is on the "reservation" game on a busy holiday weekend, you turn up in Betoota at lunchtime to find the DCFC full. No worries, you're used to grabbing a tinnie from the hotel and waiting in line. Still get charged up after a bit of a wait. But now, all these out-of-towners have reserved the charger, and keep turning up, one-by-one and queue-jumping you. By the time you manage to get a charge you are in no fit state to drive. Whatever happened to "wait in line in the order you arrive, like we've been charging in Betoota for centuries?" That's the civilised way to do it...

As for "registering in a queue", I can only guess they mean that when you arrive at a full DCFC, you register your position in the queue in the app, which presumably will enforce that queue if someone tries to physically queue-jump you. I recognise that the physical layout of DCFC's does not always provide for orderly queueing of vehicles in a line, and you might not want to wait in your vehicle anyway. So you arrive in Betoota, and oh no, the DCFC is busy again! I knew they needed more than 16 bays. No matter, register in the queue, go in and order lunch, and the app will tell you when the charger is available. All you have to do is put your fork down, duck out and move the car and plug it in. Maybe you have 5 minutes to plug in or lose the spot or something. Bit hard if someone blocks you though - hmm that sneaky loophole would have to be solved. But it does sound like a better system than physical queueing, if well implemented.

Pro: A major pro would be that this might be the only way the Evie app could work out how many people are queueing, information which could then be made available in real time in the app for those enroute and may be planning to charge there (in the way only Tesla can currently, and even then only at Tesla-Only Superchargers - unfortunately, Tesla can no longer tell who's queueing at Non-Tesla-Only Superchargers).

Con: Oh no, are we forcing people to use an app again? I only have my RFID card, my phone's dead.

Regardless, I'm not sure how I feel about the ability to reserve a DCFC.

Yeah, I think reserving a charger is fraught with practical issues and has more downside than up. I can’t see how it could work well without everyone doing the right thing (reservers and queuers) and let’s face it, we live in a society where the few people who don’t do the right thing ruin it for everyone else.

As for "registering in a queue", I can only guess they mean that when you arrive at a full DCFC, you register your position in the queue in the app, which presumably will enforce that queue if someone tries to physically queue-jump you.

This is a much better idea. First, you find out how many people are ahead of you, which might not be immediately obvious. And how long the #1 person in the queue has been waiting and when they will start charging (since the chargers know each car’s current SoC, target SoC, and charge rate hence can estimate when the next spot will become free) so you can decide whether to accept the offered place in the queue or go elsewhere.

Yes a time limit would need to be set to plug in else lose your spot. Maybe site dependent, but no more than 3-5 minutes.

If someone tries to queue jump, apart from the fact that Evie would know they queue jumped and not start their session, you pull out your phone and show them you are #1 in the queue and I hope few people would try to argue. But it would require everyone who is waiting to register in the queue and Tap and Pay users would screw this up 🤣

Evie would collect a lot of good intel this way. One thing that can’t be inferred from the data reported by each DCFC is how many people were waiting, and how long they were waiting for.

Reactions: elddum and dronus
I’d love to see a 16 bay charging station!
I'd love to see a charging station in Betoota!

I've already submitted my survey, and forgot to suggest it, dammit...

But I would have definitely suggested they make it 16 bays. Then the Betoota Advocate can publicise it to the world as the "first future-proofed charging station in the world". People will come from far and wide to gaze in awe and the pub will go gangbusters.

Except that they'll have to come in an ICE unless Windorah picks up its game, but I digress...

Also missed a trick imho.
I'm a fulltime public charger (large apartment building that is still slowly inching forward) but my decisions for day to day charging are very different to roadtrip charging.
I agree, I'm in a similar situation, although I have free access to a 11kW AC charger nearby, sometimes I have to use a DCFC. If they split the survey into "road trip" vs "local", and included similar questions, that would've done the trick.

Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
I did google Betoota however and, hmmm, yes ok must be a QLD thing haha
It's more of an alternative journalism thing...

Here's why you should call that storage compartment in the front a Froot not a Frunk:

I will, however, actually be taking my ICE there next month and will probably mention they should install a charger (and Windorah - wasn't joking) - this will open an EV path from Longreach to Birdsville.

• Funny
Reactions: OzVic