Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fastrak Flex Toll Tag - Mount / Location ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you folks in California don't have this sticker for your windshield?

fastrak sticker.jpg

Looks like this is Orange County only right now... Plus not liking this quote from the Fastrak website.... "Drivers with a sticker transponder will always pay the full toll, regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicle."
I actually didn't know there was a discount based on the number of occupants. How does it know how may occupants are in the vehicles? I guess that's good if you have more than one, but I don't see a lot of vehicles with more than one person. Also, I get a discount because of my historical usage, it's like a buck less per trip.

I actually didn't know there was a discount based on the number of occupants. How does it know how may occupants are in the vehicles? I guess that's good if you have more than one, but I don't see a lot of vehicles with more than one person. Also, I get a discount because of my historical usage, it's like a buck less per trip.

It's a combination of the honor system and flex transponder settings (see post #5). You're required to toggle the number of occupants.

But HOLY...thanks for making me check on this! There's new rules for 237 where single riders with CAV tags now pay 50% toll :( WTH!

=======

The SR-237 Express Lanes have been extended to Mathilda Avenue, and new rules are in effect:
  • Hours of operations are now 5 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Carpoolers, vanpoolers and motorcyclists will need a FasTrak Flex toll tag set in the 2 or 3+ position to travel toll free.
  • Clean air vehicles (CAVs) with a red or purple sticker will need a FasTrak CAV toll tag to get a 50% discount on express lane tolls.

But HOLY...thanks for making me check on this! There's new rules for 237 where single riders with CAV tags now pay 50% toll :( WTH!

=======

The SR-237 Express Lanes have been extended to Mathilda Avenue, and new rules are in effect:
  • Carpoolers, vanpoolers and motorcyclists will need a FasTrak Flex toll tag set in the 2 or 3+ position to travel toll free.
  • Clean air vehicles (CAVs) with a red or purple sticker will need a FasTrak CAV toll tag to get a 50% discount on express lane tolls.

Are we talking HOV lanes or toll roads? If toll roads, I'd gladly go for the 50% seeing as I pay 100% right now on the SR73.

Are we talking HOV lanes or toll roads? If toll roads, I'd gladly go for the 50% seeing as I pay 100% right now on the SR73.
Those are covered by two different transit agencies in California, although they (and other California agencies) share the Fastrak technology. SR-73 tolls are managed by The Toll Roads of Orange County whereas SR-237 tolls are managed by Valley Transportation Authority. Each agency sets their own rules.

ETA: I can't recall for sure, but I believe the stickers that OC uses MAY not be usable elsewhere. I didn't install mine as you can't use it to get discounted/eliminated tolls on the roads that allow it when you have 2 or 3 people in your car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: St☰v☰
It's a combination of the honor system and flex transponder settings (see post #5). You're required to toggle the number of occupants.

=======

Yep. And they never bothered to inform their customers. I only found out because I was suddenly charged a toll. Anyway, at least the new toll tag is free and they ship quickly. It's similar in size to the old "candy bar" Flex tag, but a bit thinner. It also doesn't seem to have a beeper anymore.

cav_tag.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: robski and ZappCatt
Yep. And they never bothered to inform their customers. I only found out because I was suddenly charged a toll. Anyway, at least the new toll tag is free and they ship quickly. It's similar in size to the old "candy bar" Flex tag, but a bit thinner. It also doesn't seem to have a beeper anymore.

View attachment 481595
LOL, I love how the "official" CAV one has a sticker to show you it is the correct one.

Grrrrr

Apparently it's now both.

View attachment 481595

Seriously. My current candy bar flex transponders aren't even that old and I only got them after noticing charges for 680. They said the original transponders won't work there. But now they're saying I need to get the even newer CAV Flex transponder? So 3 different transponder types within a couple years? Good grief.

I beep through 237 more than 200 times a year. I don't know why they just don't send me the new one.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Those are covered by two different transit agencies in California, although they (and other California agencies) share the Fastrak technology. SR-73 tolls are managed by The Toll Roads of Orange County whereas SR-237 tolls are managed by Valley Transportation Authority. Each agency sets their own rules.

ETA: I can't recall for sure, but I believe the stickers that OC uses MAY not be usable elsewhere. I didn't install mine as you can't use it to get discounted/eliminated tolls on the roads that allow it when you have 2 or 3 people in your car.

The majority of the San Francisco bay area Fastrack is run by MTC. MTC is seeking feedback for SF bay area residents regarding proposed changes the toll policy per the below link. See video for a summary. Feedback must be given in person at any of the public meetings, taking the online survey, or by mail by December 18, 2019.

MTC Opens Window for Public Comment on Amendments to Express Lane Toll Policy

Hi So I got one of the Fasttrak Flex Toll Tag herei n Bayarea CA

So my question is where do you guys like to mount it where it works and kind of hidden as well.

Anyone wanna share some pics or ideas ? or how they have it.. I would like to see if there is a better place.

I do also want to know if someone else has try it just by keeping it in the center storage compartment and got it to work without even opening the compartment.. but then again if Our arm is resting on that center area it might not work.
I did't like the look of it attached anywhere on the windshield when seen from the outside, so... I placed the velcro stickers on the underside of the driver side visor. When approaching a toll (rare for me), I take the Fasttrak out of the center console, press it against the velcro on the visor and flip the visor up so that the Fasttrak is against the windshield.

This way I don't see the unit or even just the velcro stickers on the glass, I don't have to hold it to the windshield (as I used to do in other vehicles), and it's secure to the visor for as long as I need it.

Fastrak will happily charge your account based on reading your license plate, so you can even keep the device at home.
Not entirely true. It depends on the location. On the 680 SB Express Lanes between Walnut Creek and Dublin, they absolutely do not use a license plate lookup. I know this because I'm constantly in a dispute process with them, which they inevitably credit. On the Bay Bridge, we regularly have it fail to detect in both the X and the 3 but have never received a toll violation. Just see the charge on the statement.

Here they will hit you with a surcharge if they have to fall back to license plate reading more than 15% of the time... haven't been hit with it once keeping it in the glovebox though.
Where is that policy stated? Because I haven't had anyone at Fastrak bring it up to me.

Not entirely true. It depends on the location. On the 680 SB Express Lanes between Walnut Creek and Dublin, they absolutely do not use a license plate lookup. I know this because I'm constantly in a dispute process with them, which they inevitably credit. On the Bay Bridge, we regularly have it fail to detect in both the X and the 3 but have never received a toll violation. Just see the charge on the statement.
Good to know! We may be on that tomorrow, picking up someone for Turkey Day. It has been flawless on the Bay Bridge as well as Carquinez, our two usuals. I think Golden Gate and Antioch too.

Good to know! We may be on that tomorrow, picking up someone for Turkey Day. It has been flawless on the Bay Bridge as well as Carquinez, our two usuals. I think Golden Gate and Antioch too.

Earlier you described yours as a plastic box bigger than a pack of cards. That one won't actually work for 680 SB lol. You need the Flex candy bar type. Like others I was hit with charges until I realized I needed to upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
Before the sticker, I had one that was about 3" x 4" by maybe a 1/2" thick, no switches on it though.
I have that size WITH the switch. If you want to stop and talk with a human, the Toll Roads office is right off the 133 using the Barranca offramp (125 Pacifica, Irvine) - they are actually very friendly. and will probably give you a transponder with a switch if you need it I occasionally visit a client next door and the next time I am there, I will inquire about any EV discounts (if any). I didn't see anything on their site.

Apparently it's now both.
That may be the case in Northern CA, but I haven't seen anything in So Cal yet. As I mentioned above, there are five different agencies that cover California, all with their own rules.

That may be the case in Northern CA, but I haven't seen anything in So Cal yet. As I mentioned above, there are five different agencies that cover California, all with their own rules

Yeah my response wasn't clear. I was only replying in the context of SR 237 and saying that it is both an HOV and toll lane. I'm barely qualified to comment on this little stretch, let alone anywhere else. In any event ive unnecessarily taking us off topic.