Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, discouragingly not. With version 11, phantom braking increases, as does occasional random turn signaling and increased actual wrong turns (usually just BEFORE that actual correct turn location). If FSD development IS accelerating, it's doing so in the wrong direction.

The rate of new FSD releases may increase, data collection might increase, but I can only hope we see better results soon. I found myself repeatedly disengaging and driving without even cruise control on a 130 mile trip yesterday.
Yah. Huge regression for us as well. Release notes for 11.4 look good though.

Yah. Huge regression for us as well. Release notes for 11.4 look good though.

I'm with the others that say reboot the MCU.

It may be not be corelative, but every time I have had a FSDb upgrade and haven't, my drives have been horrible. After a reboot, things seem to settle in nicely. It's almost as if someone forgot to "flush the cache" after the upgrade.

Bingo, that's what I was after. Thanks! Will give it a try...
I thought you actually need to do the full reset to get all of the computers reset. That’s the ‘foot on the brake and hold down both scroll wheels’ method.

The main difference being that one does not require being parked and doesn’t reset the autopilot computer (to my understanding).

I’ve found this helpful for certain software glitches but I’ve never noticed any impact on autopilot features.

Over the past 5 months with FSD beta, I've found that many driving errors result from lane-planning for navigation. These become fairly easy for a driver to predict after just a few repetitions, thus are easy to deal with. I find that I do at least 90% of my driving with FSD assistance, and it is quite valuable even though I could easily "hand-drive" the whole trip.

I do notice that FSD beta is more challenged at night. First, the interior camera on my Model Y only works well in sufficient illumination, such as street lights. I've learned to turn on the driver's side headliner light to light up my face as required to avoid an FSD "take-over now" disengagement in the dark.

Also at night, the car seems to be more prone to phantom braking events, oddly-shaped pavement patchs (ie: a road repair that is the size and shape of a truck, and with a high contrast in color to the neighboring road). Pro-Tip: keep yer hands on the whee! ;)

I also notice that FSD shows signs of improvement in-between software updates. I attribute this to improved map metadata. I always enter a destination for my trips, even if it is only a short one.

So, adapting to FSD beta is easy by following Wesley's 3 simple rules:
  1. Random flame spurts - keep your hands near the wheel and your mind on the road
  2. Lightning sand - take over when Beta struggles with a certain situation (fixes r coming)
  3. Rodents of unusual size (ROUS) - You are the HERO in this story: ACT like it.
Wesley's 3 rules for FSD beta.png

Cheers to the Beta testers!

Last edited:
What’s the best way to report to Tesla when FSDb does something that needs to be improved ?

Audio message. Prompt appears onscreen after an FSD disengagement. You press the right-scroll wheel, then you have 7-seconds to record your message. It gets sent to the mothership (no doubt converted to text via the same voice recognition system used by other features).

Tesla will the (doubtlessly) group the reports by fault type, collect clips on the issue, and schedule a fix for the development roadmap. I hear Tesla is already refining the types of disengagements which will cause the car to prompt you for a reason, perhaps with v11.4 (I know it was asking me for everything at first, even if it was just a navigation change / whim on my part).

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Audio message. Prompt appears onscreen after an FSD disengagement. You press the right-scroll wheel, then you have 7-seconds to record your message. It gets sent to the mothership (no doubt converted to text via the same voice recognition system used by other features).

Tesla will the (doubtlessly) group the reports by fault type, collect clips on the issue, and schedule a fix for the development roadmap. I hear Tesla is already refining the types of disengagements which will cause the car to prompt you for a reason, perhaps with v11.4 (I know it was asking me for everything at first, even if it was just a navigation change / whim on my part).

Cheers!
That’s helpful. Will try that, Thanks.

I have not noticed the post disengagement prompt before, but will watch for it now.

The way I have been doing it was to hit the voice command button in the steering wheel and say “bug report”. Do we know how the two methods compare in terms of getting the necessary data to the right people for their actiom most efficiently ?

the fsd disengage will be assoc. w. a video clip + geolocated.
As does the old "bug report" method, or at least it used to as best I recall.

I've never seen an FSDb disengagement prompt, and I disengage quite often in my area. At times it does some scary things which I'm not about to test that it will ultimately do the right thing.

Is there a setting to enable said prompting? At least on my S I've not seen one the few times I looked for it.

Currently on 2022.45.15 - v11.3.6 FSDb

Maybe I need to dust off my GoPro and start posting to my YouTube channel again. Pity I have little to no followers there.

I've never seen an FSDb disengagement prompt, and I disengage quite often in my area. At times it does some scary things which I'm not about to test that it will ultimately do the right thing.

Is there a setting to enable said prompting? At least on my S I've not seen one the few times I looked for it.

Maybe I need to dust off my GoPro and start posting to my YouTube channel again. Pity I have little to no followers there.

I didn't change any settings. After installing v11.3.4 I started to see the 'reason for disengagement' prompt. I don't know why some folks don't see it. Which MCU do you have? Curious, but not suggesting that's a possible cause.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari

As far as I know, the bug report never goes to Tesla (hasn't for a few years). It's there so the Service Centre can find where the issue was.

I didn't change any settings. After installing v11.3.4 I started to see the 'reason for disengagement' prompt. I don't know why some folks don't see it. Which MCU do you have? Curious, but not suggesting that's a possible cause.

Cheers!
$2500 Infotainment upgrade to MCU2 done July, 2020. Included replacement (yellowing) screen, AP3 hardware (HW3?) upgraded (gratis - bought FSD in 2016 with S purchase)

So, maybe Model S doesn't get the prompt? Clueless. Will have to pay more attention the screen prompts next drive, although with eyes on road at all times, maybe I've missed it...

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
$2500 Infotainment upgrade to MCU2 done July, 2020. Included replacement (yellowing) screen, AP3 hardware (HW3?) upgraded (gratis - bought FSD in 2016 with S purchase)

So, maybe Model S doesn't get the prompt? Clueless. Will have to pay more attention the screen prompts next drive, although with eyes on road at all times, maybe I've missed it...
It’s pretty suttle, and since we have literally FIVE builds for 11.3, it could be that some builds on some models for SOME users just don’t have it.

I think you're obviously going to be alone in this thought process that FSD close to full autonomy in 8 months.

I do however think FSD will improve enough in the next 8-12 months for FSD adoption rate to improve materially. My frustration continues to be how treat FSD prices and subscription price. The current prices, especially in a tough macro environment, are just unaffordable. Tesla could be padding margin compression significantly by lowering FSD prices.

Part of the reason I just wish Tesla would drop the ability to buy FSD outright is that with a subscription model, if Tesla decides to adjust the pricing, people aren't going to complain about being screwed over. If you're paying $200/month and they drop it to $99/month, well then great for you. But if you buy FSD outright at $15k and they drop it to $10k, yeah you're going to be pissed and then Tesla has to go through the stupid act of making them "whole".

Just do away with it Tesla and fully switch to the subscription model.

I know some disagree but I think FSD at a monthly subscription rate of $99/ month or $129/ month would significantly increase subscription rates and offer some margin support to the business while ASP is being pressured.
FSDb is already worth it as a monthly subscription feature imho ... anecdotally did a 160 mile hour trip last night ... as a safety feature it is already there ...
while using FSDb at night my job is to use my brain to scan the horizon and look far ahead to where the car is going ... not the mundane driving function ...
saw deer eyes reflecting in the high beams ...way in the distance .... since FSDb free me up to scan the road more accurately ... i slowed down and let the deer herd cross the road ...

I am assuming Tesla is still anti-selling until they have enough learning for the FSDb to be safer than humans based on statistics ...

if you are not driving FSDb it is very difficult to make a judgement as to readiness ... for me it is great ... and i hate driving without FSDb ...
my analogy is how i feel not wearing a seatbelt ... I feel naked and at risk ... FSDb is similar ... driving without FSDb now feels dangerous to me