Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helping a fellow owner out at the supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real problem was that his keycard was not working. We tried several times and nothing happened. The keycard was damaged, there was a crack and a little chunk out of the top of it. I told him there was an antennae inside and maybe it got broken but I couldn't see any loose wires or anything to indicate that. Bad luck more than anything I think.

Sounds like a good idea to test your key card on a regular basis especially on long trips where there might be poor cell phone reception. I could see being somewhere remote where someone couldn't sign into the app and you'd be stuck.

I've locked my keys in my old car before. Does anyone know if a lock smith can open a locked tesla without damaging it?

When I go surfing with the Model 3, I usually turn off bluetooth and put the key card in my wetsuit. Somehow one day I forgot the key card in my wallet in my pants and locked myself out of the car. I asked a guy there in the parking lot if he could let me install the tesla app so I could unlock my car. He was blown away at how I could do this. I installed the app, logged in, and got my car unlocked. Then I signed out and uninstalled the app.

I was wondering about this exact scenario when I go out paddleboarding. As it is now in my gasoline vehicle I leave my wallet, phone, and other keys hidden in the car and just bring my car key. How am I going to do this with a Tesla? I don’t want to bring a waterproof pouch with all that stuff with me on the water. What did you do with your phone? Can I leave all that stuff in the locked car and just use my key card to unlock the car?

• Informative
Reactions: Misternt
I was wondering about this exact scenario when I go out paddleboarding. As it is now in my gasoline vehicle I leave my wallet, phone, and other keys hidden in the car and just bring my car key. How am I going to do this with a Tesla? I don’t want to bring a waterproof pouch with all that stuff with me on the water. What did you do with your phone? Can I leave all that stuff in the locked car and just use my key card to unlock the car?

No problem mate - just stick your tesla keycard in your boardshorts. It is waterproof. Turn bluetooth OFF on your phone and lock with keycard when you go to the water.

Reactions: jnhashmi

No problem mate - just stick your tesla keycard in your boardshorts. It is waterproof. Turn bluetooth OFF on your phone and lock with keycard when you go to the water.

Yep, board shorts, or wet suit (I put it in the sleeve just under the shoulder area. It would be nice to have the ring that some companies have been making (melting the key card into a ring shape). But for now this works. Just remember to turn off the Bluetooth on your phone or your car will stay unlocked.

Reactions: jnhashmi