Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High speed window wind noise revisited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So actually big realization today when at tesla (somehow after 3 other visits for wind noise they didn't see this). But I guess whoever wrapped my car ( I got it used with 19k miles already wrapped). Forgot to put the seals back on the doors. All 4 of my doors are missing this seal. Anyone think it'll be worth buying 4 of these from tesla would make a huge difference in wind noise?
They were looking at the car and called me in to look at it 10 minutes later to show me and where asking if I took them off. I told them no it came wrapped already. They wanted about $400 to add all of them back, I feel like that's a rip off for 4 pieces of rubber that probably take 10 minutes each to install. Probably going to look online.

1712017160149.png
1712017186134.png

My MY makes that noise at around 50F or less. Once we hit 70's or so, it is gone.

I've tried a lot but this is still unresolved.

Replaced the mirror gasket 1500066-00-B. When blowing compressed air, the internal side did not compress well toward the windshield and was making noise.
The new one seems to be much better visually, but have to wait for sub 50s again to test my case properly.

Tesla did recently replace my whole body seal since my original had a similar divot and I played with it too much probably making it worse they also tightened the glass. My window seems to stick out farther than the b pillar though, I noticed in your video your window seems to "sink" under the b pillar so i'm curious if they could have tightened it more or moved in the door further because my passenger window goes way farther into the car when I run my finger from the b pillar to the window it sinks in. Where as my driver side window humps up over the b pillar which leads me to believe that also might be the source of it.

This form has been a huge help as well! I got mine used with 25k miles, The original owner wrapped it with a matte grey wrap and some other mods like painted calipers which is why I initially got it, I assume some of the modifications they made like wrapping it possibly caused the issues. But I got a Model 3 with the acceleration boost / premium interior and rear heated seats included for 31k last year including the wrap and mods I really liked so I couldn't pass it up lol. Luckily it still had warranty + the used warranty on it.
I find it's best to test. Then you know where exactly the problem is and how much. I chose to cut a piece of flat cardboard. A business card might also work. Close the windows. Go inside the car or, I prefer, reach through the rear window. Through the rear window you can clearly see where the cardboard slips outside. Then check for rubber to glass tightness, all around. Just slip the cardboard in between iteratively. This will tell you if and where and how much gap(s) you have. With that knowledge you can make more informed decisions about what to do next. For example, having just small locations, limited locations of gaps, I would shim. If the gaps are widespread, then adjust the window/ door. Always be careful with adjustments. You want to make a small change, not too tight. Window adjustments for tilt and such are more involved but can be done in an informed manner. Best of luck.