Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lining up the studs to the FUCA mount was a real pain in the ass. I used a jack to help press the top hat into the mount, leveling it out so I could screw on the nuts. The new damper has slightly longer studs than the old one (2018), which makes it a little harder to clear the upper control arm when placing the new damper into position (that is, if you don't remove the FUCA mount). I decided not to remove the FUCA mount because I wasn't sure if that messes with wheel alignment.
Thanks for all your posts, they have been really helpful. How has the ride comfort been after installing the front damper assembly ?

I'm not seeing the difference. Can you elaborate?
View attachment 1053056
I really tried to find the video where updated model 3 was teared down and small changes noted, but could not find it at the moment. It was in german and I used auto-translated subs. But basically the change was to the ball joint location of upper-control arm and knuckle. It’s not really visible from the photos, as the change is not significant, probably around 0-2cm.

Ahhh, I am fixing up a salvage 22 model 3 so it has the improved UCA However, the wheel on side where the accident happened is sitting about an inch further back than the other side.
Stuff that I thought was damaged and replaced on front right:
Suspension assembly
Lateral link
Wishbone (curved one)
Steering inner tie rod
Wheel bearing
Brake disc(old one warped)

So my guess is the UCA is also bent back and if I'm going to replace one I might as well replace the other with Highland ones if they are a significant upgrade
Probably not worth messing with the FUCA’s and knuckles.

I just installed Koni Special Active FSD shock absorbers (the red ones) in all 4 corners of my mid-may 2022 M3LR (built in Shanghai for the Japanese market).

Absolutely amazing difference.

Coupled with stepping down from 19" sports wheels shod with Michelin PS4S at cold pressure of 43psi; to now 18" Photon wheels with Michelin PS5 at 37psi cold pressure, it is now night and day difference.

The ride is cushy and BMW-esque Highland style while handling is even better than before. My M3LR ride used to be punishing, Lotus-like stiff-as-a-board. In hard cornering it was like the car was shifting/hopping unsettling the balance though I never once lost it thankfully but now it is much more measured with the tyres setting the limit of performance.

I had thought I might need to chance to softer, thinner springs but the stock ones are just fine. I am now supremely satisfied with my 2022 model and have canned any thought of "upgrading" to a 2024 Highland version.

I just installed Koni Special Active FSD shock absorbers (the red ones) in all 4 corners of my mid-may 2022 M3LR (built in Shanghai for the Japanese market).

Coupled with stepping down from 19" sports wheels shod with Michelin PS4S at cold pressure of 43psi; to now 18" Photon wheels with Michelin PS5 at 37psi cold pressure, it is now night and day difference.

The ride is cushy and BMW-esque Highland style while handling is even better than before. My M3LR ride used to be punishing, Lotus-like stiff-as-a-board. In hard cornering it was like the car was shifting/hopping unsettling the balance though I never once lost it thankfully but now it is much more measured with the tyres setting the limit of performance.

I had thought I might need to chance to softer, thinner springs but the stock ones are just fine. I am now supremely satisfied with my 2022 model and have canned any thought of "upgrading" to a 2024 Highland version.
My ONE remaining concern is, how to change the alert setpoint for the TPMS from 42psi to 37psi?? If anyone can answer that I would be most thankful.

I’ve heard great things about Koni products, not just for these cars but others as well. Actually had a set of the Reds for another car but I sold it shortly after and never did try them.

Special Actives or the 2024 suspension retrofit seem like great options depending on priorities, especially if you don’t want to change ride height or track the car. Koni has a lifetime warranty too.

I have the 18” wheels on stock tires, and oddly noticed that reducing tire pressure makes the car more bouncy on stock shocks, so I run the recommended pressure.

Lining up the studs to the FUCA mount was a real pain in the ass. I used a jack to help press the top hat into the mount, leveling it out so I could screw on the nuts. The new damper has slightly longer studs than the old one (2018), which makes it a little harder to clear the upper control arm when placing the new damper into position (that is, if you don't remove the FUCA mount). I decided not to remove the FUCA mount because I wasn't sure if that messes with wheel alignment.
The springs between these old and new front assemblies appear very similar. Did you happen to get a photo of the rears? I can’t help but think spring rates haven’t changed much if any.

Reactions: enemji
Hi
I just ask here Finland cost of parts and they are a bit different.
1344472-00-B Rear spring assembly - coil 120€, that is same price
1344462-00-D Rear damper 140€, same price
1344362-01-D Front damper assembly 358€, 200€ more price
1344362-00-D Front damper assembly 358€

All with bolt and nuts 1239€

I’ve heard great things about Koni products, not just for these cars but others as well. Actually had a set of the Reds for another car but I sold it shortly after and never did try them.

Special Actives or the 2024 suspension retrofit seem like great options depending on priorities, especially if you don’t want to change ride height or track the car. Koni has a lifetime warranty too.

I have the 18” wheels on stock tires, and oddly noticed that reducing tire pressure makes the car more bouncy on stock shocks, so I run the recommended pressure.

The springs between these old and new front assemblies appear very similar. Did you happen to get a photo of the rears? I can’t help but think spring rates haven’t changed much if any.
No need to change the rear springs. They set the rear ride height and that's not something I wanted to change.