Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes in SA that’s all you can get.
Usually it’s some old cronie talking about the price of wheat or the sale yard price for some batch of animals that are about to be murdered. Other times it’s the football or someone recollecting a story involving onions. Fascinating stuff.
You could probably online stream them, assuming they are being streamed (big assumption I know), just in case you need to check that wheat price

Reactions: dronus
We still get told to tune to AM radio when there is an emergency.
They have to keep AM going because each time the govt pays a stupid amount of money to someone’s mates company to make an emergency warning app the app usually breaks, leaks data or isn’t accessible to people who are most likely to be in emergency areas or don’t have smart phones.

Reactions: Jules22
I do EXACTLY this with iPhone and Apple Music. Stopped paying for premium and just use that. Also works a treat when moving from my headphones back to the car. Seamless 😆
I'm really confused. I have a 24 "Y" with a 03/24 manufacturer date. Are you stating that you can say "Hey Google" via the Tesla microphone and interact with Google or when you say "Hey Google" is the cell phone picking up the request by speaking loudly and then the Tesla responds to the voice command picked up by the cell?

Indeed, looking at a webpage while driving, FSD or not, probably isn't good practice. What I was alluding to was when I had BMWs, the IDRIVE software could interact with Google. I could ask "T\What time does the Tesla showroom close?' and I'd get an audio reply. That type of interaction was invaluable to me. It's too bad egos get involved when certain decisions are made. I'm actually bit pissed off. Tesla has an incredibly "closed" system.

Reactions: JonDarian
I'm really confused. I have a 24 "Y" with a 03/24 manufacturer date. Are you stating that you can say "Hey Google" via the Tesla microphone and interact with Google or when you say "Hey Google" is the cell phone picking up the request by speaking loudly and then the Tesla responds to the voice command picked up by the cell?
Sorry, to be clear.
The phone mic is picking up the voice commands in the vehicle. And because it’s connected the sound comes out of the car speakers.
Works great for my individual use.
Don’t have to press any buttons or learn any new abilities or wordings as I already use Siri a lot day-to-day.

Sometimes in SA that’s all you can get.
Usually it’s some old cronie talking about the price of wheat or the sale yard price for some batch of animals that are about to be murdered. Other times it’s the football or someone recollecting a story involving onions. Fascinating stuff.
Grew up overseas where the only English programs came from the good old VOA (Voice of America), BBC Radio or Radio Australia on Short Wave radio. Used to micro tune in the 13, 16 and 19 meter bands for these stations. Best music was a daily program on Radio Australia! I remember recording the broadcasts on a reel and listening to the songs again. The 8 track was an excellent player but could not record on it. It was mostly pre recorded stuff but really good quality. Then my dad had a compact record player installed in the car (Yes! A vinyl record player in the car that played records but only on smooth roads or when parked, LOL) Pretty soon everything was replaced by the compact cassette that took the music industry by storm and remained king until CD and mp3 players toppled it and now its all streaming or satellite radio. Somewhere along came DVD Audio and DCC and even a rare oddity like the VHS audio player that could play music up to 8 hours! Those didn't really become mainstream even though it was better than many other options. Folks, we have just handed all the control back to the media giants with streaming and I hate that. FM refuses to die. AM is a relic and DAB is dying a slow death. Long live SW. I still enjoy my Vinyl collection, the old Akai reel and a huge collection on DCC and CC regularly. All my music has been digitized and stored in PC or HDD/Flash drives. So! I dont really give a damn about streaming! The quality on these antique machines is phenomenal as it is uncompressed music that has the full range, a great soundstage and spaciousness that compressed music lacks. I guess mp3 are ok when you are driving as there is so much ambient noise that you are really not in the soundstage but far away!

Grew up overseas where the only English programs came from the good old VOA (Voice of America), BBC Radio or Radio Australia on Short Wave radio. Used to micro tune in the 13, 16 and 19 meter bands for these stations. Best music was a daily program on Radio Australia! I remember recording the broadcasts on a reel and listening to the songs again. The 8 track was an excellent player but could not record on it. It was mostly pre recorded stuff but really good quality. Then my dad had a compact record player installed in the car (Yes! A vinyl record player in the car that played records but only on smooth roads or when parked, LOL) Pretty soon everything was replaced by the compact cassette that took the music industry by storm and remained king until CD and mp3 players toppled it and now its all streaming or satellite radio. Somewhere along came DVD Audio and DCC and even a rare oddity like the VHS audio player that could play music up to 8 hours! Those didn't really become mainstream even though it was better than many other options. Folks, we have just handed all the control back to the media giants with streaming and I hate that. FM refuses to die. AM is a relic and DAB is dying a slow death. Long live SW. I still enjoy my Vinyl collection, the old Akai reel and a huge collection on DCC and CC regularly. All my music has been digitized and stored in PC or HDD/Flash drives. So! I dont really give a damn about streaming! The quality on these antique machines is phenomenal as it is uncompressed music that has the full range, a great soundstage and spaciousness that compressed music lacks. I guess mp3 are ok when you are driving as there is so much ambient noise that you are really not in the soundstage but far away!
Toyota probably still have some old tech in their cars that might work :)

• Funny
Reactions: jq371 and Jules22
Nah, my tape player had autoreverse. Super advanced tech!

Has anyone ever installed an 8-track cartridge player in a Tesla… or a turntable? 🤔

You laugh, but...

Record-Player_Rob-Hill-Photography.tif

Yes! Its there! But not very popular! The number of available stations has reduced by more than half! Advertisers are not interested in DAB and only a handfull of car makers include DAB receivers! It may be popular in some big cities but in good ole Greensboro, its surely dying!
Here is Australia (where this thread is) DAB+ is still seemingly popular with heaps of stations available to listen to whilst in most metro areas.

Folks, we have just handed all the control back to the media giants with streaming and I hate that.
I have a large music collection (my era is the CD though), and in my first car I installed a multistacker in the boot - but I have to say that streaming has really nailed the convenience aspect. My teenager can put the newest albums on in the car the day they're released, and I can play whatever comes to mind as soon as the mood strikes me, including weirder stuff that I never had on CD in the first place.

I still listen to radio a lot too, to keep up with the newer stuff that's coming out (most stations here seem to do FM/DAB+ simulcast).

I have a large music collection (my era is the CD though), and in my first car I installed a multistacker in the boot - but I have to say that streaming has really nailed the convenience aspect. My teenager can put the newest albums on in the car the day they're released, and I can play whatever comes to mind as soon as the mood strikes me, including weirder stuff that I never had on CD in the first place.

I still listen to radio a lot too, to keep up with the newer stuff that's coming out (most stations here seem to do FM/DAB+ simulcast).
Streaming definitely gets the job done for the most part. It is limited to mainstream music. I listen to a lot of music that is not listed anywhere in these streaming sites and that's the reason I have to download a lot of these royalty free music and listen to it from my Iphone. Ultimately, it gets the job done. Sadly, in the USA or atleast in Greensboro area, DAB is on life support! Nobody seems to care and not many people know about it! I like the fact it is mostly commercial free and has multiple channels but it never caught on as mainstream source. It may be because of a lack of DAB receivers.

The inbuilt media player is actually quite good.
I bombed up a 2tb T7 ssd with random music. It cataloged it all and now I can either search or browse by songs, Artists, Albums, Genres and folders.
Even picked up album art from somewhere.

IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Jules22