Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly the same for me (same car, same problem, same version). It seems the car gets into a state where it simply can not reconnect to the mobile network. This can last multiple days without any connection in known good areas with good reported signal strength. Only way is to either reboot the car or setup a temporary hotspot, wait for data to flow and then dismantle the hotspot. It actually seems to be much worse over the last couple of months, with disconnections now most days. Before this it would only be very occasional.
I have a 2017 MS MCU1. Could you tell me how to connect to my iPhone. WiFi won’t find it.

You were not on about connectivity though.... Yet this is still better than most if not all from experience :)
Yes I was, the car was in for warranty work on the DC charging circuit, which failed, and the connectivity problems.

Are you suggesting I shouldn't complain about a paid for service being a bit crap?

This is the connectivity thread, so I updated it with info right from the horse's mouth.

Car has now been in for warranty repair on the DC current sensing circuit and as expected they reported hardware fine on the connectivity side and to install all firmware updates as it's a known problem.

I quoted you on that...no mention of connectivity... Ive have no real issues myself in about 4 years but not saying anyone else hasn't and ive have other brands along side.... What else would you want me to say 🤷‍♂️

I quoted you on that...no mention of connectivity... Ive have no real issues myself in about 4 years but not saying anyone else hasn't and ive have other brands along side.... What else would you want me to say 🤷‍♂️
I did, the car was in for DC charging and connectivity, DC charging fixed but connectivity I was told to install firmware, presumably OTA updates when they're offered.l, they checked the hardware and nothing wrong.

And the connectivity problems have been quite bad for a fair few people since the end of 2023, give or take 6 months with no firmware fix.

I did, the car was in for DC charging and connectivity, DC charging fixed but connectivity I was told to install firmware, presumably OTA updates when they're offered.l, they checked the hardware and nothing wrong.

And the connectivity problems have been quite bad for a fair few people since the end of 2023, give or take 6 months with no firmware fix.
I see... a bit convoluted but reading back I get what you mean. Hope you get it sorted but as I aid, "the grass isn't greener on the other side" im afraid regardless :)

I see... a bit convoluted but reading back I get what you mean. Hope you get it sorted but as I aid, "the grass isn't greener on the other side" im afraid regardless :)
I've posted previously in the thread, it was an update.

I've been on the other side, had an ID.3 and the software on that was just fine, Android Auto worked well despite it starting off as a bag of crap.

Edit: for some reason I can't edit my update post to remove any confusion.

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977
Most cars have maps fully stored on the car, when they have connectivity issues you might not notice. Traffic might not update but it also likely knows what's going on in a wide area so a few minutes of not updating wouldn't be noticed. Similarly most cars streaming music services will cache the next few songs so unless you skip a good few you'd not notice there either.

Connectivity issues are more noticeable in a Tesla. We don't pay for Premium Connectivity on wife's car (I will when I get mine in a week and a half) but even then all the other roads vanish and you just get a line for the nav.

Tesla could sort this and just cache the maps properly for the country you are in or say 30 - 50 miles around you. Cache songs also and frankly you'd just not notice connectivity issues while driving.

Most cars have maps fully stored on the car, when they have connectivity issues you might not notice. Traffic might not update but it also likely knows what's going on in a wide area so a few minutes of not updating wouldn't be noticed. Similarly most cars streaming music services will cache the next few songs so unless you skip a good few you'd not notice there either.

Connectivity issues are more noticeable in a Tesla. We don't pay for Premium Connectivity on wife's car (I will when I get mine in a week and a half) but even then all the other roads vanish and you just get a line for the nav.

Tesla could sort this and just cache the maps properly for the country you are in or say 30 - 50 miles around you. Cache songs also and frankly you'd just not notice connectivity issues while driving.
Same with Spotify, cached playlists, even if it's via the USB storage would be great.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I have a 2017 MS MCU1. Could you tell me how to connect to my iPhone. WiFi won’t find it.
turn on hotspot on your phone first, then tap the "LTE signal bar" icon at the top of the screen, this will show you a list of available wifi. Then select your phone. If you want it automated it depends what phone you have. If Iphone, use "Shortcuts" to run automation "when iphone connects to model S bluetooth, turn on hotspot". Guides can be found by googling. and then also do the reverse.

Reactions: FastLaneJB

I always wondered why Tesla didnt store the "UK" maps even on the map view not satellite. It does have stored maps somewhere as when you have the navigation runnning, on Model S/X the navigation in the screen behind the steering wheel shows a simple map when there is no connectivity so it is stored somewhere. When there is no connectiviey it should revert to this mapping.

I always wondered why Tesla didnt store the "UK" maps even on the map view not satellite. It does have stored maps somewhere as when you have the navigation runnning, on Model S/X the navigation in the screen behind the steering wheel shows a simple map when there is no connectivity so it is stored somewhere. When there is no connectiviey it should revert to this mapping.
Strangely I think they have 3 maps basically. One as you say is stored in the car and is used to generate the route but isn't used for visualisations. However it's why the car can show a line for your route even when the rest of the map isn't loading.

Then you've either got the vector map which it loads as tiles over data or the satellite map which it also loads over data. They should at least store the vector map for the UK so if data drops they can still show all the roads and turns. However if I was them I'd also cache the satellite titles around the user and common ones the car travels on, just checking for updates sometimes. Even when you do have signal, I imagine they'd save themselves and the mobile networks a lot of data downloading the same information over and over.

So while at the SC today I caught up with the technicians who still had no resolution or any idea on a time frame when this will be resolved however it was interesting that they said it was only Model S’s which were affected which is BS as so many others have the same issue. I didn’t fancy an argument there though as I go there quite frequently!