Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I'm going to turn OFF cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew things were different over in Europe. Are you saying the AC coming on in your car with COP would set off the alarms? So you can't pre-cool then?

This is what we are led to believe. It is a good point though: you can pre-cool, so I wonder if pre-cooling disables intrusion detection. I guess pre-cooling doesn't run for up to 12 hours, unlike COP, so the risk is smaller?

Not going to break any windows to find out...

Just got my model 3 yesterday. Parked outside work today since 5am this morning. Right now the outside temp is around 80 degree. The app shows the car's interior as around 103 to 104 since 5 or 6 hours ago with cabin heat protection on. When I parked this morning, it was at 156 mile left. Now it is showing 144. I lost 12 miles in 9 hours.

I have this feature turned off. If something breaks in the car because it can't stand being in the elements like literally every other car on the road, Tesla is going to have a bad time when they start selling to "regular" people. I get it, it's a feature, but I think people are babying way too much and get paranoid when they see the interior temp in the car.

I don't have time to read all 5 pages of this thread right now, so maybe someone has brought this up already. I remember reading that the cabin overheat protection has nothing to do with protecting the components in the car from heat, but it's a safety measure for small children (or animals) that could accidentally get left in the car. If you don't have either of those things, turn it off and get the range back. If you're the sleep-deprived parent of an infant who has a brain fart and forgets the kid in the back seat, it might save your child's life.

Think that never happens? This is from the first page of a quick Google search and it looks like they are all different events:

Tennessee baby girl dies after dad who went on business trip left her in car - NY Daily News
https://nypost.com/2018/04/05/baby-...-forgets-to-drop-off-at-daycare-goes-to-work/
Baby dies after mom forgot to drop child off at day care
What causes parents to forget children in hot cars?
Mom of 17-month-old who died in hot car thought she followed her routine. She didn’t.
A Mother Whose Lapse Led to Child’s Death Seeks to Prevent Further Hot-Car Casualties

Edit: Just finished scanning the thread and a few people correctly brought it up. It's even right there on Tesla's website. So if there's no risk of kids or pets getting trapped in the car, you could just disable it and pre-condition your car a few minutes before getting in instead.

Last edited:
I don't have time to read all 5 pages of this thread right now, so maybe someone has brought this up already. I remember reading that the cabin overheat protection has nothing to do with protecting the components in the car from heat, but it's a safety measure for small children (or animals) that could accidentally get left in the car. If you don't have either of those things, turn it off and get the range back. If you're the sleep-deprived parent of an infant who has a brain fart and forgets the kid in the back seat, it might save your child's life.

Think that never happens? This is from the first page of a quick Google search and it looks like they are all different events:

Tennessee baby girl dies after dad who went on business trip left her in car - NY Daily News
https://nypost.com/2018/04/05/baby-...-forgets-to-drop-off-at-daycare-goes-to-work/
Baby dies after mom forgot to drop child off at day care
Mom of 17-month-old who died in hot car thought she followed her routine. She didn’t.
A Mother Whose Lapse Led to Child’s Death Seeks to Prevent Further Hot-Car Casualties

Edit: Just finished scanning the thread and a few people correctly brought it up. It's even right there on Tesla's website. So if there's no risk of kids or pets getting trapped in the car, you could just disable it and pre-condition your car a few minutes before getting in instead.
Did you read what I was replying to? Someone turned it on to save the display and electronics in the car.

If you're the sleep-deprived parent of an infant who has a brain fart
BS

Number of times I forgot my children in the car: 0
Number of times my wife or I left my children in the car and walked away: 0

The second number is the important one. Tesla may be protecting children from dying by parental neglect but that should not legitimize neglect.

BS

The second number is the important one. Tesla may be protecting children from dying by parental neglect but that should not legitimize neglect.
Yup. As a parent of multiples, never once did we forget about the kids in the car. It's awesome Tesla added this feature but people are using it to keep their car cool at all times and try to justify it to keep the electronics cool! To each their own but I think it's stupid and wasteful (as people are complaining about battery loss...) just to keep the car cool.

As for Tesla making it so COP couldn’t be turned off, why? Not everyone lives in an area that gets as hot. Some people leave their windows down too. Others park in garages or have shade or days filled with clouds. Clouds will make a marked difference in how much your car needs to adjust to lower the temp. When we first got COP in the MS, I did a check over many hours each day over maybe a month on the conditions outside, the exterior temp and temp inside the car with COP on and saw the differences and watched the mileage loss. A lot of weather factors go into how much it loses.

Sorry, not following your reasoning. All of those factors contribute to lower interior temperatures. If they felt that overheat protection was critical to protect the car systems they could easily prevent it from being disabled and have it triggered only on high temps like it already is set. So if those factors you list that make cabin temps lower were present it wouldn’t trigger the cooling mechanism.

BS

The number if instances of this being a tragic accident far outnumber the cases of neglect or intentional abuse/murder.

BS

Who's trying to legitimize neglect? How did you get there from what I posted? One of those articles says like 37 children per year die from being forgotten in their cars. "Forgotten baby syndrome" happens often enough that it has a name. Obviously you're a better parent than those people, so that's great for you and your children. I'm not seeing how it's a bad thing that Tesla implemented a feature that may save a child from neglectful parents. People don't like it or need it--just turn it off.

BS

Do a bit of research. It isn’t always about neglect, it’s about a confluence of a number of factors converging into a horrific tragedy because of how our brains work. It’s thankfully rare, but that doesn’t mean we should just dismiss it as “bad parenting” and leaving it at that, not when the technology exists to protect against that with minor trade offs. If you don’t need it or want it, then turn the feature off, easy. But if someone does forget, wouldn’t we all prefer them to have this feature on their car than face the alternative?

“We all experience when we have a plan to do something in the future and then we forget to complete that plan,” Diamond said.

He said this is where several competing factors in the brain come into play. The first component is the basal ganglia, the brain center, which operates on a subconscious level. Diamond said it’s this part of the brain that stores the ability to ride a bicycle and allows people to “go on autopilot.”

The basal ganglia works independently of the hippocampus, which is the part of the brain that has to do with conscious awareness and new information. The hippocampus and the frontal cortex work together to plan future activities and events.

Diamond uses a tennis match to explain how the three pieces of the brain can work in perfect harmony.

The basal ganglia allows a tennis player to hit the ball in an almost reflexive way, while the hippocampus and the frontal cortex allow the player to devise a strategy.

“This is where the systems compete against each other,” Diamond said. “In the case of you driving home, your basal ganglia wants to get you from Point A to Point B to the point it can suppress your hippocampus. [People] say you can forget to stop at the store, but you don’t forget your child is in the car. I get that feeling completely. I get that argument, but you can’t argue with brain function.”

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a child in the backseat is a horrifying mistake. Is it a crime?
Two decades ago, this was relatively rare. But in the early 1990s, car-safety experts declared that passenger-side front airbags could kill children, and they recommended that child seats be moved to the back of the car; then, for even more safety for the very young, that the baby seats be pivoted to face the rear. If few foresaw the tragic consequence of the lessened visibility of the child . . . well, who can blame them? What kind of person forgets a baby?

The wealthy do, it turns out. And the poor, and the middle class. Parents of all ages and ethnicities do it. Mothers are just as likely to do it as fathers. It happens to the chronically absent-minded and to the fanatically organized, to the college-educated and to the marginally literate. In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist.

Last year it happened three times in one day, the worst day so far in the worst year so far in a phenomenon that gives no sign of abating.

The facts in each case differ a little, but always there is the terrible moment when the parent realizes what he or she has done, often through a phone call from a spouse or caregiver. This is followed by a frantic sprint to the car. What awaits there is the worst thing in the world.

Each instance has its own macabre signature. One father had parked his car next to the grounds of a county fair; as he discovered his son’s body, a calliope tootled merrily beside him. Another man, wanting to end things quickly, tried to wrestle a gun from a police officer at the scene. Several people -- including Mary Parks of Blacksburg -- have driven from their workplace to the day-care center to pick up the child they’d thought they’d dropped off, never noticing the corpse in the back seat.

Do a bit of research. It isn’t always about neglect, it’s about a confluence of a number of factors converging into a horrific tragedy because of how our brains work. It’s thankfully rare, but that doesn’t mean we should just dismiss it as “bad parenting” and leaving it at that, not when the technology exists to protect against that with minor trade offs. If you don’t need it or want it, then turn the feature off, easy. But if someone does forget, wouldn’t we all prefer them to have this feature on their car than face the alternative?

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a child in the backseat is a horrifying mistake. Is it a crime?
This feature is so great it keeps the interior temp at a cozy 105 degrees!

So, here's the result of disabling COP. In 5 hours lost 0.4 miles. BUT.....

5lNTNYhINvLSJhPuDkVcRP8Lmd6esaZMwSdGbG6wEObYLoYnfyTtUD3xi3Hi9LKkBhfnVVgYjUmkD0DX2yL__xYHIeT8pZ9vQwcvQ0sMhWtkfUcq_cHkBaUtqC7pPn1RkpfdWE5qVNYgqfgmengz2ijOmxWpXhk3GMFMVMmDjGwJo2zA7ZcWIAVTxx9eShU0w0VBRg2JZMautuw_RUbx8HwWr8rRJYY55X9n_zjR9sYXTd0beAVrTPaY2tAYla2RYYEultq_A87M6dciuwzP-FYY8-LTlWkiKYqFEH-LgQeMV6AT3UGOdESFbDetYtx1ANOwmdYJvuG3NmPuZIsV2Za0y3rXtfPTEDQMjhncpNgu38q13gHuY6c-zMDDMKO4d40h_D2bw-stHWhRMd-JY97uvSZ3dkAoRCvID3ndUoST7HgEAMllAtWhRlMemcRTsd0WcmiiGwaS_Z_VaXMyXWKTKeX2zBN0nnJRi_brB_MJSCxmQJGIxxEBVQVO9k4T9emNLTOeR_sb-SgvKjMxPjSt88niVioR04ip-5m1rMTFB-8AUGwmFar-JsQQl48Gd2fxqpDe1tMco7W1mv5NBPzRtYIitEwPfwQaO5JicH1hQH9tVjd5Tzr7gFC9MI0U=w373-h662-no

I really wish Tesla had some nice looking solar panels on the 3 to ventilate the car like Prius had:

How Does the Toyota Prius Solar Roof Feature Work?

With the available Solar Roof feature equipped in your new Toyota Prius, you can keep your car cool even on the hottest days. Parked in the sun, the Solar Roof feature powers a solar powered ventilation system that will keep the interior of your vehicle cool. When the interior temperature surpasses 68 degrees Fahrenheit, the ventilation system will turn on and use an electric fan to draw the outside air inside and circulate it throughout the cabin. This will lower the interior temperatures to a level closer to the outside ambient temperature.

Reactions: .jg. and fiatlux
I’m torn on feature. I live in NJ and it’s been in the upper 90s all week and I park outside in direct sunlight all day. I lose about 25 miles per day if not more. Getting into the car and it not being extremely hot is amazing. I don’t have a far commute so the lost mileage isn’t a big deal to me but it is really annoying. The idea of my range disappearing while I’m inside working just to keep the car cool while no one is inside doesn’t make a lot of sense tho.

This feature is so great it keeps the interior temp at a cozy 105 degrees!

It’s about keeping kids or pets from baking to death, not about comfort. 105 isn’t comfortable, but it isn’t as deadly as the 140-150 degrees cars can reach under the sun. If a parent or pet owner, either through negligence or just plain stress induced confusion as described in those articles, does happen to lock their pet/kid inside their car, this feature could turn what would have been a tragic situation into just an uncomfortable and scary one instead. It is a GOOD THING, and it doesn’t have to affect you at all if you don’t like it/need it. Just turn it off.

Reactions: SDKoala and daniel