Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Electrical Problem Tesla Can't Fix, 5 Months Left on Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my knowledge, this had not been mentioned previously. I've tested it more than 10 times, and every time, USB has worked when I woke up the Tesla before getting in. This is a quicker solution than rebooting, which doesn't always work the first time.
It sounds like they changed the wake-up sequence when triggered by opening doors but did not change it for the app triggered case. And somehow it impacts a subset of chips (either fast or slow chips) since majority of the cars are not impacted. Just a theory, of course.
If that turns out to be the case, either they have to change the wake-up sequence again (unlikely), or they have to change your infotainment computer that hopefully comes with a chip from another speed bin. You should push for the latter.

Last edited:
It sounds like they changed the wake-up sequence when triggered by opening doors but did not change it for the app triggered case. And somehow it impacts a subset of chips (either fast or slow chips) since majority of the cars are not impacted. Just a theory, of course.
If that turns out to be the case, either they have to change the wake-up sequence again (unlikely), or they have to change your infotainment computer that hopefully comes with a chip from another speed bin. You should push for the latter.
It's unclear how many cars are affected, whether it only happens to Model Y, what model years are involved, and whether it also affects cars with HW4. I knew immediately when I first lost USB because I listen exclusively to music from USB when driving. Owners who don't listen to music on USB -- probably the majority of owners -- might not notice if the USB drive is not recording security events.

It's possible that Tesla service have replaced at least one complaining owner's infotainment computer, but if so, there have been no reports of a satisfactory outcome.