Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or Model Y - UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

New around here, looking to purchase my first Tesla. Based in the UK, Manchester.

I'm in my final decsion on my new EV and I'm split between the Model 3 and the Model Y.

If you were buying a new Model 3 or Model Y would you wait till October to get the new Model Y or just get the new model 3.

I have a family of 4 with 2 kids, my son the largest at 6ft 2in at 14, I'm conscious of space in the Model 3 compared to the Model Y.

I have had a M3 for over 4 years with 2 young children (in car seats for most of that time). We picked up our new MY last week. While I love the ‘refreshed’ M3 and was tempted, it couldn’t compensate for the greater space the MY provides. Kids are a lot shorter than yours but already appreciate the extra space. MY will still receive software updates. Whether it will look old or prepared to wait is a personal choice. I decided not to wait us it might not even happen this year.

Welcome to the electric car world! Choosing your first Tesla is exciting, and I can see why you're stuck between the Model 3 and Model Y. I haven't driven the new Model Y myself yet, but I can offer some thoughts based on my experience and my friend's experience (he got a model Y) with the Model 3 and what I've read about the new Y.

With a family of four, especially a tall teenager, the Model Y's extra space might be a real perk. Legroom can be a bit tight in the back seat of the Model 3 for grown-ups, especially on longer rides. The Y definitely has more headroom and cargo space too.