Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d love these purely for aesthetics but concerned and warranty issues and what “mods” do to resale value (I tend to not keep cars longer than 3-4 years).
It depends on the mods. Most cosmetic mods wouldn't hurt the resale value much, if at all. But suspension and wheels definitely affect it. Even though I have the mindset of keeping my cars for five years or longer, I tend to keep the oem wheels and suspension, because these are usually the first mods I make. In the event I end up selling it for whatever reason, most ppl generally prefer that the car come with original parts, thus helping to keep its value higher than the same car without the original parts like the suspension and wheels.

As for warranty issues, there's going to be differing perspectives on that. But there's a federal law (Magnuson Warranty Act) that requires the manufacturer to prove that the modification caused the issue in order to deny the warranty claim. So in other words, they cannot void your bumper-to-bumper warranty (4 years or 50k miles) just because you install lowering springs or have a cosmetic mod like a front lip. Conversely, if your adaptive dampers were to somehow have issues, and you happened to have lowering springs, then Tesla could easily blame it on the springs, even though it may have been a premature defect that would have occurred regardless.

glad to see you got a vin! i was really hoping to rid on your coattails alas, no such luck. the past 4 days have seen one vin assignment per day in colorado (in the tracker), so i'm willing it into the universe that tomorrow is my day lmaooo
I’m right there with both of you. I’m also convinced tomorrow is our day. Im probbaly going to be far behind whit the SG/Black though :/

Some interior stats for ya. White interior is completely paused lol.. BUT it does seem like vins are ramping up!

IMG_3200.png

It depends on the mods. Most cosmetic mods wouldn't hurt the resale value much, if at all. But suspension and wheels definitely affect it. Even though I have the mindset of keeping my cars for five years or longer, I tend to keep the oem wheels and suspension, because these are usually the first mods I make. In the event I end up selling it for whatever reason, most ppl generally prefer that the car come with original parts, thus helping to keep its value higher than the same car without the original parts like the suspension and wheels.

As for warranty issues, there's going to be differing perspectives on that. But there's a federal law (Magnuson Warranty Act) that requires the manufacturer to prove that the modification caused the issue in order to deny the warranty claim. So in other words, they cannot void your bumper-to-bumper warranty (4 years or 50k miles) just because you install lowering springs or have a cosmetic mod like a front lip. Conversely, if your adaptive dampers were to somehow have issues, and you happened to have lowering springs, then Tesla could easily blame it on the springs, even though it may have been a premature defect that would have occurred regardless.
they don't have "to prove that the modification caused the issue in order to deny the warranty claim"; they can implicate, just like in your example where the suspension COULD be voided if you lowered it.

Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
So was ride height raised for this new M3P vs the 2020 one? Every time I would pull into my steep driveway it would scratch the bottom of the battery when I would come in too fast, now with this new car, it seem like it somehow has more clearance over that bump, pleasantly surprised even though it doesn't feel like they raised it
It's lowered by about 0.40 inches or 10mm, same as the 2020 m3p.

• Informative
they don't have "to prove that the modification caused the issue in order to deny the warranty claim"; they can implicate, just like in your example where the suspension COULD be voided if you lowered it.
I haven't read it in detail, but my understanding is the burden is on the manufacturer to prove the modification caused the issue, not just implicate it. I don't have any real world experience with this, though (knocks on wood). That was just my understanding of it based on a lawyer breaking it down that I read in another car forum years back.