Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if we switch to the white seats if the price will change
Teslas order agreement states that any order changes can be subject to whatever new pricing is in place at this time. If you switch to white seats, you will also be switching to whatever the price is on the car now too.

They dont always enforce the "changes subject to new price" thing, but a company that is laying off people and raising prices is probably not going to let anyone combine "white seats now free" with "original order price" as no car company I am aware of does that (not just tesla).

The one in the Stanford store looks like it was assembled by a blindfolded drunk toddler. As soon as I reached out to touch the raised panel the SA immediately said "this is a pre-production car." We'll see ...
Can anyone knows more about car manufacturing kindly explain why Tesla QC in the US has always been this bad? Couple things I can think of
1. Worker Skills? ( Giga Shanghai Seems to have better quality)
2. Machine Tolerance?
3. Cost more money to get all the panel perfectly aligned so they don't want to do it?

When I first heard Tesla QC& Panel issue 10 years ago, I think it is understandable because they are a new company. It's 2024 not 2014.......

Reactions: MileHighM3P
Teslas order agreement states that any order changes can be subject to whatever new pricing is in place at this time. If you switch to white seats, you will also be switching to whatever the price is on the car now too.

They dont always enforce the "changes subject to new price" thing, but a company that is laying off people and raising prices is probably not going to let anyone combine "white seats now free" with "original order price" as no car company I am aware of does that (not just tesla).
I just looked at my agreement. Thank you for the info 🔥. I guess I changed my color at the perfect time

They will start with black interiors after Tesla works out the production bugs and panel gaps with these first runs ;)

If you have

the Google sheets app, it's going to be saved in your recent opened sheet, just go to the app. When you open it, it's automaticlly going to be the latest oneView attachment 1047949
I open the sheets app but can’t figure out how fill in my info in the cells. lol. Sorry newbie here.

I open the sheets app but can’t figure out how fill in my info in the cells. lol. Sorry newbie here.
1000013767.jpg

Can anyone knows more about car manufacturing kindly explain why Tesla QC in the US has always been this bad? Couple things I can think of
2. Machine Tolerance?
3. Cost more money to get all the panel perfectly aligned so they don't want to do it?

When I first heard Tesla QC& Panel issue 10 years ago, I think it is understandable because they are a new company. It's 2024 not 2014.......
Look up NUMMI motors, GM did a joint venture with Toyota to try to figure out how the Japanese had such consistent quality. American car manufacturing has always been behind in some ways. Fun fact, the NUMMI plant is now the Tesla plant in Fremont. NPR did a pretty good show on NUMMI.

New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI) was an American automobile manufacturing company in Fremont, California, jointly owned by General Motors and Toyota that opened in 1984 and closed in April 2010.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Maybe someone with the technical knowledge will know but, is making everyone go for grey exterior really going to save them that much money? Feels rediculous that everyone is going to have a grey Model 3 performance at this point.
Since the release of the model 3, Tesla has switched up the free color:

2018: standard black
2020: pearl white
2022: midnight silver metallic
late 2023/2024: stealth grey
(Note: dates are from what I recall off the top of my head without verifying accuracy)

And technically, they're not making anyone go with grey; one would just have to pay additional for a different color. So, i think they're doing their part to ensure there's not an oversaturation of one color.

Plus, it's also documented that the free color varies by country or region. So this leads me to believe that the cost of producing certain colors isn't the number one factor in their decision to make a color free.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Since the release of the model 3, Tesla has switched up the free color:

2018: standard black
2020: pearl white
2022: midnight silver metallic
late 2023/2024: stealth grey
(Note: dates are from what I recall off the top of my head without verifying accuracy)

And technically, they're not making anyone go with grey; one would just have to pay additional for a different color. So, i think they're doing their part to ensure there's not an oversaturation of one color.

Plus, it's also documented that the free color varies by country or region. So this leads me to believe that the cost of producing certain colors isn't the number one factor in their decision to make a color free.
If you qualify for the tax credit adding a color would virtually cost you $8500 or $9500 for Ultra Red…doubt they get too many takers!

Maybe someone with the technical knowledge will know but, is making everyone go for grey exterior really going to save them that much money? Feels rediculous that everyone is going to have a grey Model 3 performance at this point.
They make things in batches. Could be as simple as this is the batch they have setup now so they want to sell more of it.

None of these cars are "custom made". Tesla doesnt have enough options available to need to make " @protatomonster 's Model 3). They build all model 3s and Ys in batches then match them to existing orders.

No one really has the inside knowledge that will post about it here, but like I said, it could be as simple as they are running grey paint batches now and dont have enough orders for it. Same reason they changed the price on red, they probably did not anticipate as many red orders as they got, so they "put a stop to it" by making them not eligible for regular tax credit (business leases notwithstanding).

That would also let them see how the tax credit is impacting sales directly, by manipulating this.

All guesses on my part.

Reactions: P-Lo801 and KGinCO
2. Machine Tolerance?

It's the people. Even on identical assembly lines using following the same process the quality varies by country. In addition the variation in quality is consistent across all car manufacturers. Even Toyota and Lexus get better quality from their Japanese builds compared to other sites. Every company knows which countries have the highest QC and usually reserve their top nameplates for those regions.

For what its worth, when I try to make modifications to my april 23 order - the order configurator page reflects the same pricing at that april 23 point in time. (52990 base, white interior is $1500).

I personally want Stealth grey with stealth PPF. Had an Ignition Orange G8 GT and owned a black Camaro Z28 in the past. Done with black with swirls and rock chips and I don’t care for cops seeing a loud colored car no matter how quiet it is. If people decide to go with a different color later, Grey cost nothing and the money that would’ve gone to a Tesla color could go towards the new wrap color or colored PPF.

For what its worth, when I try to make modifications to my april 23 order - the order configurator page reflects the same pricing at that april 23 point in time. (52990 base, white interior is $1500).
How are ppl able to change their order? When I go to "manage order" page in my account, it says, "you cannot edit your order at this time."

Reactions: MileHighM3P