Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vents blowing warm air with AC off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a used 2019 MS standard range (Raven update). When it's not too warm outside and driving at higher speeds, I have traditionally cooled my combustion engine vehicle cabins with the HVAC turned to low, but no AC, to save on gas mileage (and now battery life with my Tesla). In my previous ICE cars, the air coming out of the vents generally matches outside air temp. With my Tesla, I have found that the air coming out of the vents is noticeably warmer than the outside air (by like 5-10 degrees), again with temp set to "low" and AC off. After speaking with a Tesla mechanic, I was told to expect this if the car was sitting in the sun because the warm car exterior would somehow warm the air being drawn in (although this didn't happen with my ICE BMW). However, this is happening even if my car is sitting in my garage overnight and the warmer air comes through the vents right when I start the car. Does anyone know why? Is this normal? If I have to use AC anytime I have ventilation on to prevent the cabin from heating up, this is going to have a major impact on range.

I recently purchased a used 2019 MS standard range (Raven update). When it's not too warm outside and driving at higher speeds, I have traditionally cooled my combustion engine vehicle cabins with the HVAC turned to low, but no AC, to save on gas mileage (and now battery life with my Tesla). In my previous ICE cars, the air coming out of the vents generally matches outside air temp. With my Tesla, I have found that the air coming out of the vents is noticeably warmer than the outside air (by like 5-10 degrees), again with temp set to "low" and AC off. After speaking with a Tesla mechanic, I was told to expect this if the car was sitting in the sun because the warm car exterior would somehow warm the air being drawn in (although this didn't happen with my ICE BMW). However, this is happening even if my car is sitting in my garage overnight and the warmer air comes through the vents right when I start the car. Does anyone know why? Is this normal? If I have to use AC anytime I have ventilation on to prevent the cabin from heating up, this is going to have a major impact on range.
As an example, it was 60 degrees outside this morning as I drove to work, but the air coming through my vents (temp on "low," AC off) felt at least 70 degrees and I was too warm.

I'm relatively new to Tesla and my 2018 MS. I noticed the same, but assumed it's becuase there is NOT a simple airflow, as even if the AC is "off", outside air is still going thru at least one heat exchanger before it gets to the cabin, as the car is always trying to maximaize battery effieicency and therefore it's temperature.
Also, that's why i assumed they tell you ito just keep it on "AUTO" for best performance. So it is not as simple as just turning off the AC compressor to save energy.