Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y range test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per the title, it was a range test for my Model Y RWD. I had some work to sort out in East London but that needs me to go up and down twice or someone had to do the other part of the journey. I thought that is a good opportunity to do a range test and all set for the boring up and down journeys.

But there was an issue even before I started. As I mentioned earlier I was trying to switch from Octopus go to IG. There was some technical issue and octopus took their sweet time of 2 weeks to investigate. Anyhow they said they have sorted this out and wanted me to do the test charge. I did and this time it worked except the charge did not stop. I will do a separate post for this bit. I stopped using the app. I did get some charging schedules and I was hoping the car is going to connect and charge. But nothing happened. And it was 1am and I had this trip planned in the morning. I thought if this doesn’t work I’ll SC and then go to London. But fortunately woke up bit early and checked the app - car did not charge. Not sure what I am doing wrong with IO, I’ll do a separate post. But the smart schedule showed off peak from 530-8am. Not sure whether it was really off peak or not I went ahead and charged. Managed to top it up to 84%. My plan was if dangerously close to empty then to SC at birchanger services.

The temperature was around 16-17. There was a bit of shower both in London and on my way back. But otherwise generally a nice day not the Californian weather but Ok for UK.

Managed to do 216miles with 76% and did not stop at Birchanger for SC. I was 30 minutes behind time as was driving slow - especially the last leg was done on 55mph, finished the last leg with 16% consumption for the 54 miles/175 wh/miles. The total 42kwh/216miles/196wh/miles. As we all know speed has major impact on the range than anything else. The route is M11 and 6miles of East London traffic - not bad today.

If I extrapolate this to 100% it will be roughly around 270 miles that is more than the EPA and not in an experimental condition. All the three legs were done on 65mph except the last one which was done on 55mph part of the M11.

If I calculate it gives around 5.14 miles per kWh. Though Model Y RWD is limited by the small battery still is very practical and efficient.

Though Model Y RWD is limited by the small battery still is very practical and efficient.
I just saw this article not sure how they will implement here. Nice idea as the £8000 for LR is bit unnecessary if you really don’t need it but this sounds like a good alternative.

I just saw this article not sure how they will implement here. Nice idea as the £8000 for LR is bit unnecessary if you really don’t need it but this sounds like a good alternative.

Don’t US models use different batteries? I’m not 100% sure. But that could mean the option of extended range can’t be unlocked for China built cars.

Reactions: Jason71
Looks like Tesla have been using LR NCA batteries software locked to limit range in the USA.
So the China built LFPs are not going to see this happen.

Reactions: spdpsba
Other than the weather🤪
Today was pretty good actually... Almost enough to charge the car right up... not that I would given the pricing...

1714929662657-png.1044602

Attachments

• 1714929662657.png
    1714929662657.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 9