Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rattle - rear quarter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

I'm at my wits end...

I own a late 22 MYLR with a very annoying rattle.

It's been to the service centre a total of 5 times over the last 14 months for days-weeks at a time, the car has covered 17k and the problem started at 4k.

This isn't a mild trim or seat rattle, most of those have been sorted on previous visits; a new tailgate hinge, adjustment and copious amounts of felt tape and foam.

The problem rattle sounds more structural in nature, metal to metal. At lower speeds up to 15mph it's a rattle, hitting a short bump at 20mph+ it is very very loud! It sounds like something wants to fall off the car. What's odd is the noise isn't made on bump, it's more as the suspension rebounds. Almost like a heavy nut or bolt is running loose somewhere.

Out of sheer desperation I've carefully removed all the tailgate/trunk trim and sat in the trunk while my friend drove the car. I've pinpointed the location of the noise but now sure what could be causing it?

Attachments

• 17148400872883234935122528284786.jpg
    17148400872883234935122528284786.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 8
I've made some small progress. I've looked inside the holes using a worm camera, it's actually quite shallow in there. Can't see anything that could be rolling around.

Tapping the various fixings in that area I've found what could be the culprit. All fixings in the trunk are solid - except for the one in the centre of photo. Simply tapping it with my knuckle produces a high pitch noise that sounds very different to the dull thud on the rest. The nut/bolt is actually inside the cavity so not sure how to access it

The photo is the area under the lower left hatch bump stop. The tailgate trim usually covers it, the photo is taken from inside the car. The bracket at the top supports the bump stop when closed.

I think the white and black metal structures are rubbing/rattling against each other but how to tighten them?