Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving my router inside my house, I have Powerwall 3 outside on the side of the house, so my question is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have a 2000 square-foot house and I’m only moving the router 15 feet further away from the powerwall which is outside on the side of the house, should I have an issue with the powerwall connecting? I am assuming my connection to Tesla is via the Internet connection of the powerwall to my router, correct yes?

Right now when I look at my Xfinity app the connection to Tesla says strong Wi-Fi.

The connection is to the powerwall itself is also what I’m asking? I know it’s a dumb question what else could it be connecting to but I just wanted to be sure.

I will be able to test it after I move it so I guess there’s no point in asking this I guess I am mostly just making sure I understand where the connection is that the powerwall is making it’s making it from the powerwall itself.

Mine is inside, PWs in the basement and directly below the Gateway outside about 45 ft away. The Gateway hooked right up at commissioning, and thru 4-5 interior walls and Hardie Board siding (which decreased my interior cellular signal significantly after installation).... router is slightly higher than the PWs, not lower
BTW, I think the connection on the router is from the Gateway. You can check that from the router wireless connection list.

Reactions: GJones
If I have a 2000 square-foot house and I’m only moving the router 15 feet further away from the powerwall which is outside on the side of the house, should I have an issue with the powerwall connecting?
In general, with that small of a move, no, but it really depends on your individual home setup, walls, etc etc. So, "No, you shouldnt have a problem but its possible you could, even if unlikely.
I am assuming my connection to Tesla is via the Internet connection of the powerwall to my router, correct yes?
In powerwall 2 setups its from the Tesla powerwall gateway, not from the powerwalls themselves. You have a powerwall 3 and I dont know if you have a gateway. Perhaps it might be a good question for you to call Tesla at the phone number I gave you previously and ask them, then let us know.
The connection is to the powerwall itself is also what I’m asking?
See above. Not sure for powerwall 3, but if you have a Tesla gateway, the internet would be connected to that (not the powerwalls).

In general, with that small of a move, no, but it really depends on your individual home setup, walls, etc etc. So, "No, you shouldnt have a problem but its possible you could, even if unlikely.

In powerwall 2 setups its from the Tesla powerwall gateway, not from the powerwalls themselves. You have a powerwall 3 and I dont know if you have a gateway. Perhaps it might be a good question for you to call Tesla at the phone number I gave you previously and ask them, then let us know.

See above. Not sure for powerwall 3, but if you have a Tesla gateway, the internet would be connected to that (not the powerwalls).
Thanks, I will ask my ProjectAdvisor I know they told me that the Powerwall three is incorporating Other things that used to be separate I guess Gateway is one of them the only other thing they installed other than the panic power button is a little box below the breaker I’m not sure what it is I’ll ask next time but I think the gateway is now inside the power wall… my audio video guy just told me that the new Comcast Xb8 router has tremendous range so when I do move it I’m going to get this new router so that should help.

Thanks, I will ask my ProjectAdvisor

I think I mentioned this before, but once your system is installed, your project advisors only involvement is in ensuring Tesla submits stuff for your PTO. They dont do any tech support, and are not the right resource for questions. All questions you have on your system should be directed to the powerwall support number I gave you before, not your project advisor (if you want answers to them, that is).

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I think I mentioned this before, but once your system is installed, your project advisors only involvement is in ensuring Tesla submits stuff for your PTO. They dont do any tech support, and are not the right resource for questions. All questions you have on your system should be directed to the powerwall support number I gave you before, not your project advisor (if you want answers to them, that is).
The appointment with him was for something else I figured I would just ask but thanks let me see if I have that number still if it’s the right one 877-961-7652?

I use the ethernet port on my Gateway as the primary connection - the WiFi is present and shows connection status but good old copper wire is hard to beat.
I will be connecting it via Wi-Fi and I just don’t know what will initiate that will it be my app my Tesla app?

When the Tesla technician connected the power wall to my Wi-Fi they asked me my password and I told them so now if I have to re-initiate that connection is it going to be done from the app?