Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 - already died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner first post. I just got my model three a couple of weeks ago and it is an absolutely amazing car. A few minor problems with it at delivery-passenger front window did not go down all the way, small tear at bottom of steering wheel where stitching comes together-but nothing significant. Last week the regulator on the glove box went out so it would not stay closed. Quick schedule into the service center to get it taken care of-no problems at all. Kind of a hassle because the nearest service center is over two hours away from me but not a huge deal.

My family had planned a fairly extensive road trip vacation to travel from Ohio to Orlando and come back through Charleston to break the car in and have a nice trip. This included routing and having hotel set up along the charger route, etc.

Currently my car is on a flatbed truck headed to Cleveland to a service center because it completely died this morning and they were unable to do anything remotely. We had just started the first leg of our trip, so I guess were lucky that it happened there than at the midway point. It was giving the car cannot maintain power/system activating error messages. They told me that it is not an issue with the system but rather an issue with something else in the car. Anyone else have any problems like this? Really inconvenient timing, and very expensive since my trip was planned around being able to drive the car-not to mention the fact that the vacation was centered around this so it is now ruined.

Just trying to see if there’s information about this to quell my frustrations!

New owner first post. I just got my model three a couple of weeks ago and it is an absolutely amazing car. A few minor problems with it at delivery-passenger front window did not go down all the way, small tear at bottom of steering wheel where stitching comes together-but nothing significant. Last week the regulator on the glove box went out so it would not stay closed. Quick schedule into the service center to get it taken care of-no problems at all. Kind of a hassle because the nearest service center is over two hours away from me but not a huge deal.

My family had planned a fairly extensive road trip vacation to travel from Ohio to Orlando and come back through Charleston to break the car in and have a nice trip. This included routing and having hotel set up along the charger route, etc.

Currently my car is on a flatbed truck headed to Cleveland to a service center because it completely died this morning and they were unable to do anything remotely. We had just started the first leg of our trip, so I guess were lucky that it happened there than at the midway point. It was giving the car cannot maintain power/system activating error messages. They told me that it is not an issue with the system but rather an issue with something else in the car. Anyone else have any problems like this? Really inconvenient timing, and very expensive since my trip was planned around being able to drive the car-not to mention the fact that the vacation was centered around this so it is now ruined.

Just trying to see if there’s information about this to quell my frustrations!
Sorry to hear about your experience. Did Tesla not provide you with a loaner?

I just did a 3000 mile (round trip total) road trip in my Model S, and I was very surprised that I saw almost as many Model 3s at superchargers as Model S or Model X vehicles. I'm sorry to hear you didn't make it. I heard nothing but good things from the Model 3 owners I talked to. Hope they get your car repaired and you try again soon.

That’s good to hear-and in fact the car has been brilliant up until I just started on the trip today. I like driving it better than my 328M and for sure more than my wife’s X3. I’m sure they will get it fixed and sorted it out, but that doesn’t change the fact that for whatever reason it’s ruined a two week vacation. To be fair, an issue that can completely disable a brand new $60,000 car is a little hard to take. I think it’s just unlucky

That’s good to hear-and in fact the car has been brilliant up until I just started on the trip today. I like driving it better than my 328M and for sure more than my wife’s X3. I’m sure they will get it fixed and sorted it out, but that doesn’t change the fact that for whatever reason it’s ruined a two week vacation. To be fair, an issue that can completely disable a brand new $60,000 car is a little hard to take. I think it’s just unlucky

Well, true, but... Have you seen this cartoon? What it's like to own a Tesla Model S - A cartoonist's review of his magical space car - The Oatmeal

Point being its so different, I guess there must be risk associated with it of bad things like you've suffered. Its such a high-tech machine they will have weird high-tech problems. But I've been driving a Model S since 2013 and I've never been left stranded, and this gives me confidence you'll have the same experience after the glitch is found and eradicated.

Best way I can describe the Tesla experience is that it is a lot of hot.

Hard to find hot without crazy so there you go.

My 2016 Model X has given me 20000 trouble free miles.

The upcoming 3, I have no clue on what if any issues I will experience.

I do have faith though if there are issues

1.) Tesla will address it
2.) It will be worth it in the end.

• Love
Reactions: MissyMcBee and GSP
I was offered something from Enterprise. I didn’t just pay 60k to take a 2500 mile road trip in a striped down Ford Focus. My wife would kill me. She’s angry enough as it is about this Was closer from where I was to just have someone take me to my home and grab my Beamer. Having said all of that, a Tesla loaner was never even offered as an option which was surprising to me

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I was offered something from Enterprise. I didn’t just pay 60k to take a 2500 mile road trip in a striped down Ford Focus. My wife would kill me. She’s angry enough as it is about this Was closer from where I was to just have someone take me to my home and grab my Beamer. Having said all of that, a Tesla loaner was never even offered as an option which was surprising to me
Did you ask about one? I would have demanded one.

All my loaners have been Tesla except one time which was an Infinity Q50 through Enterprise.

You might need to ask for these concessions as the service people are not always the most cognizant of the situation all the time.

Last time I was at Tesla service was well before any Model 3s however so it may be different now.

Did you ask about one? I would have demanded one.

I think a main issue here is IF they have one as well. And the most frustrating answer Tesla can give is we sold them all. Sucks that cash flow is big problem for them.

Last edited:
There were no service people working today anywhere in the area-I was talking with someone at a central call center. Since I was already on my trip there was no way to get one even if I demanded it anyway. I explained the entire situation of the timing of my trip to the person and they were sympathetic but basically unable to do anything except offer me a car from enterprise which I told them was unacceptable.

I had an ICE rental a few times when they didn't have a Tesla loaner.

There were no service people working today anywhere in the area-I was talking with someone at a central call center. Since I was already on my trip there was no way to get one even if I demanded it anyway. I explained the entire situation of the timing of my trip to the person and they were sympathetic but basically unable to do anything except offer me a car from enterprise which I told them was unacceptable.

No enterprise luxury vehicle? A stripped down Ford Focus is pretty bad if that was truly the only option.

When my Model 3 had to be in the shop for a few days, the local Tesla SC had no loaners. They sent me to the nearest Enterprise. I was offered a Lincoln, a Cadillac, or a Volvo XC90. I took the Volvo and rather enjoyed it.

OK-here’s the latest update. After 48 hours of radio silence, the techs were able to dig into the car this morning. As of now, it appears that during production one of the straps that holds one of the batteries in place was not properly installed and was causing all kinds of errors to happen which eventually overloaded the system. I’ll give a final update when I have it. Based on what I am seeing, this is a newly identified production problem-but at least the service people are great about dealing with it.

OK-here’s the latest update. After 48 hours of radio silence, the techs were able to dig into the car this morning. As of now, it appears that during production one of the straps that holds one of the batteries in place was not properly installed and was causing all kinds of errors to happen which eventually overloaded the system. I’ll give a final update when I have it. Based on what I am seeing, this is a newly identified production problem-but at least the service people are great about dealing with it.
12V or pack battery?

Sorry this happened to you. And next time, make sure to demand a rental. First demand a Tesla loaner and if they don't have any Enterprise (at least in my area) many times has Tesla loaners too for Tesla customers.

Another reason to take the Enterprise rental is that they reimburse your gas when you bring the car back with receipts.

I’m pretty sure it’s the pack. The tech told me they had the entire backseat out of the car dealing with it. However, in a few hours I will have a more complete answer from them. I will be sure to give a final update.

As for the loaner, refer to the original post. Enterprise had nothing available except what I would refer to as a standard car. I was just getting started on the first leg of a 2500 mile road trip designed around having the Tesla. No way was I going to do that and listen to my wife complain for 2500 miles sitting in the passenger seat of a Ford focus when I have two BMWs sitting in my driveway. As for the loaner, refer to the original post. Enterprise had nothing available except what I would refer to as a standard car. I was just getting started on the first leg of a 2500 mile road trip designed around having the Tesla. No way was I going to do that and listen to my wife complain for 2500 miles sitting in the passenger seat of the Ford focus when I have two BMWs sitting in my driveway. There were also no Tesla loaners available because I was nowhere near a service center and did not have time to travel six additional hours out of my way to see if I could get one. It was just an unlucky, poorly timed, situation.