Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power cut. Charger resumes or waits further instruction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple enough question I thought I should better ask before setting the electrician to work.

If I use controlled aka "hot water / nightstore" power I get it half price. They don't have any usage time base tariffs available at my place as it is in a comms hole.

Questions.

I will have the car scheduled to charge in wee hours. Plug in 'dead' charger and when the time comes the car looks for the charger, there it is, away it goes?

If the power is late on does it keep looking and looking and looking until sucessful or the sun comes up?

What happens if the power co in its infinite wisdom turns it off mid charge and back on again later? Will charging resume?

Is it the car or the wall charger that is the 'boss'?

Is the charger ok with being effectively switched off at the wall each morning? Will it shrug and reboot off the wifi or throw a fit and want to be reinstalled?

You wont want the charger to be "dead" and then power up, the car is not likely to charge. Perhaps something has changed, but I remember people complaining about having timers etc on on electrical circuits and the car not charging.

None of that is really necessary, as you can schedule charging in the Car or Tesla app, and the car wont charge till its scheduled time.

Is the charger ok with being effectively switched off at the wall each morning?

I dont think so, no.

The Tesla authorized installer seems to think it will run but I got the impression he hasn't done too many. Need detail.

Generally, say you park up and open charger door and the charging is scheduled for later, you plug in. Later you go off to bed knowing it's going to be all go in the morning.

Does it do the handshake with the charger, you lock the doors, and then it goes to sleep? Or does It ignore the charger being plugged in until it is time to go?

I am thinking I could spin it up on 24hr power and then when it has gone to sleep in the meantime swap over to the dead controlled power. At the appointed time everything wakes up with power and away it goes.

That only works if the car is leading operaions asleep but not sleeping with one eye open looking at volts available at the charger.

Does it even sleep if there is charging due?

The car relies on bluetooth to communicate with the app, correct? They don't go behind your back over wifi and internet?

Can't rely on the app to kick charging off so app must be programming the car to act.

if you use the Scheduled Charging setting, the car will start charging immediately if plugged in within 6 hours after the scheduled start time.

My car starts charging again when power is restored if there is an overnight outage (provided it’s within that 6 hour window). I believe what you want to do will work fine - the EVSE’s power being turned on is essentially the same as “plugging in” from the car’s perspective.

Scheduled Charging starts charging immediately if Model 3 is plugged in up to six hours after the scheduled start time. However, if Model 3 is plugged in after six hours of the scheduled charging time, charging may not start until the scheduled time on the next day.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
if you use the Scheduled Charging setting, the car will start charging immediately if plugged in within 6 hours after the scheduled start time.

My car starts charging again when power is restored if there is an overnight outage (provided it’s within that 6 hour window). I believe what you want to do will work fine - the EVSE’s power being turned on is essentially the same as “plugging in” from the car’s perspective.

Thanks. Hopefully 2024 MYLR is same.

While I do have a 2024 MYLR I can’t confirm for certain as I haven’t had an overnight power outage yet. That said, I’ve had Teslas for almost 8 years now and they have all behaved this way so I think odds are pretty good.
If you wouldn't mind you could put my mind at ease with a little test please.

Presume the charger is on its own breaker. If you cut off the breaker before plugging in it would be analogous to me getting home before night power comes on and plugging in. Then an hour later flip it on and either it will charge a couple.of hours later at the appointed time or not.