Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3 - Version 24.4.2-1 to 24.12.3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They rarely post the changelog and even then it's usually very sparse.
Bummer. It looks like 1 unit of 4 didn't update and is stuck on the old version. I'm not entirely sure the green hue that was on the previous version by default was even a LED color; it could have been ambient green LED light from some other part of the circuit board.

This white on the units that did update is bright.

CleanShot 2024-05-16 at 08.58.35@2x.png

MPT/battery chargers can handle more power than the inverter. So perhaps Powerwall is charged already and is clipping what goes to the grid. Really only applies to PW3’s with a lot of solar.

That wouldn't explain why it wasn't clipping before the firmware upgrade though. It's also a limitation that would've been mentioned in the specs I think.

@gk0l is it possible you have a grid export limit that only now got applied? You don't seem to be charging your Powerwall, is it set to 100% backup?

I've been requesting an update to that single unit every day for a few days now via the TeslaOne app, and I've had no luck with it updating on its own. Tesla support said they also requested it and that it would update within 24 hours, but I've had no luck there either. Pressing "update software" on both the system software, and the individual powerwall software screens, seemingly doesn't do anything right away, but I do see a loading spinner when I press it. 🤷‍♂️

I've only had two observations on the behavior that feels different:

1. It started to prioritize selling to the grid during the day even when powerwall battery level wasn't 100%. I assume this was due to the forecasted generation and it's assumption that I wouldn't need it. I changed my sell back rate to $0 for peak and off-peak, and now it does what I want...charges the powerwall to 100% before selling to the grid throughout the day.
2. The LEDs. White seems to be the "all systems ok" color. I guess with older firmware, it was never turned on, but I still can't find any mention of a white LED in the docs, and what it means.

I received this email from Tesla on Thursday regarding a Toer 3 issue I've been having. It doesn't seem to match the latest software you have received.

This is Tesla Powerwall Team, hoping this e-mail finds you well.

Our Powerwall Service Engineering Team (Tier 3) has recently conducted a thorough review of your account. Currently, we are encountering a known issue with the latest Firmware version 23.44.1. Rest assured, our development team is actively investigating any reported energy inconsistency behavior from our customers. In the interim, our Engineering Team has implemented a temporary fix in the 24.4 firmware version, with the definitive solution slated for release in version 24.12.1, which is forthcoming.

They rarely post the changelog and even then it's usually very sparse.

Although spare, here is the link to the change log:

It also doesn't really appear to be up to date or updated all that frequently a lot of the time, unfortunately.

I noticed my Powerwall 3s were glowing white today (vs. green).

I checked the software version, and they upgraded the version from 24.4.2-1 to 24.12.3 at some point recently.

Is anyone aware if Tesla has a changelog?
So many questions...

1. I never see any kind of light on my Powerwall 3, does that only happen when it is updating?

2. Am I supposed to have a manual way of updating my PW 3 on the app?

3. The other day all of a sudden the percentage available of the PW 3 was not draining the way I know it should, would show 96% for instance, after using only the PW 3 for a few hours at which time it always shows 85% for instance.

4. My permission to operate/export is still outstanding and I am hoping that is why when i go to the support section of the app there is NOT the words "Get Help" at the bottom of the screen like there is for everybody else, I assume.

5. I have an open support case for the issue mentioned in 3 above, but to get that I had to call as I do not have a "get help" button on my app.

6. Where can I find what update version my PW 3 is so I can know if it is updated or not?

I am asking anyone who wants to answer, please.

So many questions...

1. I never see any kind of light on my Powerwall 3, does that only happen when it is updating?

3. The other day all of a sudden the percentage available of the PW 3 was not draining the way I know it should, would show 96% for instance, after using only the PW 3 for a few hours at which time it always shows 85% for instance.

4. My permission to operate/export is still outstanding and I am hoping that is why when i go to the support section of the app there is NOT the words "Get Help" at the bottom of the screen like there is for everybody else, I assume.

5. I have an open support case for the issue mentioned in 3 above, but to get that I had to call as I do not have a "get help" button on my app.

6. Where can I find what update version my PW 3 is so I can know if it is updated or not?

Just now realized that if I go out there when it’s dark, I do see a white light on the Tesla logo… it’s not dark right now, but I cupped my hands around it and I could see it. I’m pretty sure. Could not edit my post.

So many questions...

1. Definitely a bright white light now. You can see it in daylight easily. White seems to be "OK", while red seems to indicate an error. If you see a light green hue, that's what I saw prior to the update and everything was OK with that led color.

2. No. You can request it in the official TeslaOne app, although it doesn't seem to do anything. Tesla has asked me not to use that app, though, so if you follow their direction, only they can update it manually, or you have to wait until the next auto-attempt. I'm not sure how often it attempts though.

3. --

4. Mine does have the "Get Help" button post PTO, so maybe that's why yours doesn't show.

5. --

6. Settings > My Home Info > Powerwall 3 (look at the version under that) Mine shows the old version, so I assume if you have multiple units, it goes with the lowest version to show in the app.

Here's my setup - you can easily see which one has the failed update, but they all seem to be working fine.

It actually glows a light green, but now that the others are on (white), that one unit definitely does not have it's indicator led on and it's just the glow from other leds in the control board inside. It's not off though, just the indicator isn't on which is what it looked like since they were installed last Nov 2023.

CleanShot 2024-05-27 at 22.18.11@2x.png

Last edited:
1. Definitely a bright white light now. You can see it in daylight easily. White seems to be "OK", while red seems to indicate an error. If you see a light green hue, that's what I saw prior to the update and everything was OK with that led color.

2. No. You can request it in the official TeslaOne app, although it doesn't seem to do anything. Tesla has asked me not to use that app, though, so if you follow their direction, only they can update it manually, or you have to wait until the next auto-attempt. I'm not sure how often it attempts though.

3. --

4. Mine does have the "Get Help" button post PTO, so maybe that's why yours doesn't show.

5. --

6. Settings > My Home Info > Powerwall 3 (look at the version under that) Mine shows the old version, so I assume if you have multiple units, it goes with the lowest version to show in the app.

Here's my setup - you can easily see which one has the failed update, but they all seem to be working fine.

It actually glows a light green, but now that the others are on (white), that one unit definitely does not have it's indicator led on and it's just the glow from other leds in the control board inside. It's not off though, just the indicator isn't on which is what it looked like since they were installed last Nov 2023.

View attachment 1051216
24.12.5. c54d0af7

Above is what my update version is, by the way, thanks for responding!

This is very helpful…yeah, all of a sudden the draining percentage number was not going down nearly as quickly as it did every day before that and it’s still going down much slower than it was, which I will be happy about if it’s correct obviously. Thanks again!

Reactions: DougNuts
It also doesn't really appear to be up to date or updated all that frequently a lot of the time, unfortunately.
Last night I got a message on my app that my powerwall 3 was “calibration in progress” and now I have no solar production at all. I’m entirely on the grid for the last 10 hours, it says it will last 24 hours is this happening to you? I’m hoping just so I know it’s not just me?

I shouldn’t say I have no solar production, I do, but it’s all going into the powerwall and none of it’s coming out into my house, I guess because the powerwall controls everything.

Just putting this here too in case any of you have this happening, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt-FL