Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll"

In which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did you buy a Tesla without being able to charge at home? My tires and insurance are the same as my last car, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I save well over $2000 per year on fuel and maintenance.

I would not have bought the Y if I couldn’t charge at home and enjoy the massive savings and convenience.
Who says I could not charge at home? I have 5 level 2 charges wired to a 200 amp panel. I have so much solar I have a zero energy bill, with a 5K credit last year.

My insurance is 2K per year. TIres last maybe 1.5 years. So even though I Pay no gas, the insurance and tires eat up that savings.

Again, I just say if a person cannot put a level 2 in where they live, do not buy and EV. Waiting for charging gets old, IMO

Reactions: cwerdna
Why did you buy a Tesla without being able to charge at home? My tires and insurance are the same as my last car, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I save well over $2000 per year on fuel and maintenance.

I would not have bought the Y if I couldn’t charge at home and enjoy the massive savings and convenience.
I’d talk to an ROI for these people where home charging costs are paid off in six months.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I tell folks no matter the cost, unless you have level 2 charging at home nope. Only car, nope. And things like insurance and tires are a lot more money, so this you save money stuff is a joke after owning my tesla for over a year.
used 120v, 12amp from 2012 - 2018 for Volt and Prius.
For Tesla use 120v 12 amp when visiting children. It's parked you know
use 240v 8-12amp when in garage, don't need faster but can go to 48 amp but not necessary
have had only 1 car last 20+ years, for the 2 of us
Tesla Y for 2 years

Reactions: CarlS
Who says I could not charge at home? I have 5 level 2 charges wired to a 200 amp panel. I have so much solar I have a zero energy bill, with a 5K credit last year.

My insurance is 2K per year. TIres last maybe 1.5 years. So even though I Pay no gas, the insurance and tires eat up that savings.

Again, I just say if a person cannot put a level 2 in where they live, do not buy and EV. Waiting for charging gets old, IMO
Not all tires for all drivers last only 1.5 years. Depends on the tire, and how it is driven. I certainly have done better than that.

Reactions: cusetownusa
No. Base model will be $35k, and we don't have the specs for it yet. Current cheapest Equinox EV is the $43.3k FWD 2LT. It's $3.3k extra for AWD.
(RAV4 Hybrid is AWD, but a FWD electric crossover that matches the price would still be a big step forward).
Therefore for USA owned manuf, the cheapest will be 2025 Tesla M2 $25K, 2025/6 Chevy Bolt Gen 2 $TBD and Ford Skunkworks $25K TBD
No Stellantis?

I just assumed you didn't charge at home when you said saving money on a Tesla is a joke. I figured that would be the only way to not save money.

Thats crazy that even with fueling your Tesla for free you are still not saving any money over a gas car. Compared to my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I am saving well over $2,000 per year (roughly 13,000 miles annually) and I don't even have solar. I wonder why your insurance is so much higher and why you are going through tires so quickly that it eats into the thousands you save each year on not paying for gas?

I just assumed you didn't charge at home when you said saving money on a Tesla is a joke. I figured that would be the only way to not save money.

Thats crazy that even with fueling your Tesla for free you are still not saving any money over a gas car. Compared to my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I am saving well over $2,000 per year (roughly 13,000 miles annually) and I don't even have solar. I wonder why your insurance is so much higher and why you are going through tires so quickly that it eats into the thousands you save each year on not paying for gas?
I am driving like 15k per year now, so yes I do save on gas. But from what I lost in car value since purchased, I will NEVER get close to making up. I have not had to get new tires yet, but ready many sites, even if driving easy, tires just wear out faster since EV car is heavier.
And compared to my ice cars, insurance is much higher, and seems to be about the going rate from what I have seen others post.

I LOVE driving the EV. BUT, I would never have as my only car. My mini van can hold 8 people, luggage and drive 450 miles without having to get gas. Try that in an EV. :)

The market forces are taking care of the need. The first wealthy early adopters have purchased. Now its middle and lower class, who do not even have the money to buy a new ICE car, let alone a more expensive EV, where most cannot charge at home since they do not own a house.

Anytime gov tries to force a technology down the consumers throat, it always ends up the same, does not work.

Oh well, this topic is one of many with no middle group and too much emotion.

EV are incrementally heavier. Compare a Y with an average vehicle - the difference is minor.
People might eat tires from enjoying acceleration or the type of tires.

My wife's model 3 is 5 years old on 2nd set of tires. Just passed inspection so still reasonably good. They were about 35k. New tires were about $650. So about 2 cents a mile. I don't find insurance to be much more than an other car - like $200 a year for me more than an Accord.

My Model Y is 1 year old on original tires - obviously. I put 3 sets on my S at 110k miles and the last set was in great condition when it got totaled.

I know my Leaf was cheap to insure. Tesla - has a repair cost problem. But that is more than just an EV thing.

Government forced digital TV and HDTV. They also "forced" 5G. I believe they forced the internet - or coerced since filing taxes was so much easier on free on-line sites. I believe they forced unleaded gas to help save some IQ points. Forced LED lights - or at least banned incandescent lights. The forced seat belts and car seats. They forced windshield wipers too way back when. Forced ABS. Back up cameras.

I mean how do we live with all these rules?!?

Last edited:
I wonder how that breaks down for Tesla vs. non-Tesla owners. The number one concern appears to be charging infrastructure, which is still not a pretty picture in North America for non-Tesla owners, though it will improve to the extent they soon get access to Tesla charging. Interestingly, the percentage of EV owners in the rest of the world who said they would switch back to ICE is much lower.

As for myself, I would switch back to ICE only at gunpoint, and maybe not even then. But then again, I am a Tesla owner.