Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
Can Premium Connectivity be purchased for M3 SR+ ??

I read somewhere that it will be available from the touchscreen 'later this year' but i'm not sure whether they meant last year or this one. I have a Spotify account that would be nice to use, the rest i'm not too fussed about.

Darren

I’d guess that it’ll become available on UK cars a year after the first RHD cars were delivered, so later this summer. Whether the offer will include SR+ cars or not is something only Tesla know.

If it were my business I’d be happy to take £10 a month from anyone with a Tesla :cool:

Not yet here in the UK. That being said, there’s nothing SR+ owners are being limited on currently as all of the functionality is currently working free of charge. It’s in our interests for it NOT to come out for as long as possible at present :)

I take it that Spotify currently works on SR+ without any extra cash. Good to know thanks

When I ordered my M3P on 3rd May the UK website was touting one of the advantages of the LR & M3P was premium connectivity. There was no mention on the ordering pages of this being only for the first year. The web site changed around the 20th May to say for first year only.
Do the early adopters have a case to claim premium connectivity free after the first year?

Hope you're right but not sure it will be the case when premium connectivity is on sale unfortunately... at least this page suggests not anyway (2nd question from bottom) Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

this one?

What’s the difference between Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity?
Cellular connectivity is a wireless data connection and only requires that you’re within range of a cell phone tower — similar to how a smart phone works.

Wi-Fi connectivity requires proximity to a router — similar to how a laptop connects to your Wi-Fi at home.

Dont see how that says you cant use premium via hotspot.

this one?

What’s the difference between Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity?
Cellular connectivity is a wireless data connection and only requires that you’re within range of a cell phone tower — similar to how a smart phone works.

Wi-Fi connectivity requires proximity to a router — similar to how a laptop connects to your Wi-Fi at home.

Dont see how that says you cant use premium via hotspot.

No, this one (incidentally I don't see the question and answer that you pasted when I follow the link, maybe we're being redirected to different places...?);

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
No. Over-the-air software updates may be downloaded over Wi-Fi networks, including mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier. However, other Premium Connectivity features like satellite view maps and streaming media are currently not available over Wi-Fi.

No, this one (incidentally I don't see the question and answer that you pasted when I follow the link, maybe we're being redirected to different places...?);

No. Over-the-air software updates may be downloaded over Wi-Fi networks, including mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier. However, other Premium Connectivity features like satellite view maps and streaming media are currently not available over Wi-Fi.

ah yes, i dont see that when i click the link..

Well this is disappointing. Currently Hotspot does have those items. So i guess the best I can hope for is that Tesla will change their mind on this like plenty of other things that has been put on their website.

That’s the “old” Connectivity page. The new one that’s launched in the US and is coming here makes it clear that the only thing you won’t get by using a hotspot instead of subscribing is satellite map and live traffic displayed on the map.The rest is available over hotspot.

It used to be that SR+ owners were the only ones whose cars came without premium connectivity. Up until v10 was released, we didn’t have access to the Spotify app so you couldn’t stream over hotspot because you didn’t even have the app! That’s what the page quoted above refers to.

That’s the “old” Connectivity page. The new one that’s launched in the US and is coming here makes it clear that the only thing you won’t get by using a hotspot instead of subscribing is satellite map and live traffic displayed on the map.The rest is available over hotspot.

It used to be that SR+ owners were the only ones whose cars came without premium connectivity. Up until v10 was released, we didn’t have access to the Spotify app so you couldn’t stream over hotspot because you didn’t even have the app! That’s what the page quoted above refers to.

Awesome! Thanks.

When I ordered my M3P on 3rd May the UK website was touting one of the advantages of the LR & M3P was premium connectivity. There was no mention on the ordering pages of this being only for the first year. The web site changed around the 20th May to say for first year only.
Do the early adopters have a case to claim premium connectivity free after the first year?
Absolutely not! Getting something for a time for free does not entitle you to it free forever. Tesla has been saying for years (long before UK got Model 3) that they would (at some point) move to charging for the cell connection they provide premium 3, and all S and X owners with. And the price (approximately) they would be charging for it when they did. I am happy to get a free year to late August 2020, and I expect I will pay for premium after that.
I hope they offer premium connectivity to SR+ owners too. I think that model is the sweet spot for Model 3 since the rear wheel drive long range was withdrawn, although I was lucky enough to be able to afford the Dual Motor.

Absolutely not! Getting something for a time for free does not entitle you to it free forever. Tesla has been saying for years (long before UK got Model 3) that they would (at some point) move to charging for the cell connection they provide premium 3, and all S and X owners with. And the price (approximately) they would be charging for it when they did. I am happy to get a free year to late August 2020, and I expect I will pay for premium after that.
I hope they offer premium connectivity to SR+ owners too. I think that model is the sweet spot for Model 3 since the rear wheel drive long range was withdrawn, although I was lucky enough to be able to afford the Dual Motor.
Agree with what your saying

Premium sub is coming to SR+ (We have it for free at the moment but could be short lived!)

All Tesla M3 versions "at the moment" with the latest update (2019.40.50.7) get the "Premium" software with "unlimited?" LTE usage. Unsure about the last bit regards “unlimited” (I heard/read somewhere it can be capped/throttled if you abuse it)?

This includes Spotify, Live traffic on maps, Satellite maps, YouTube, Netflix & Twitch. You can stream all you want via LTE at the moment.

Heated rear seats is rumoured (Elon tweet) for the SR+ (Not sure if it would be with the Premium sub?) - these do work in the SR+ but software locked. (I had these working for about a week when i first got mine - then the option disappeared in my settings)

Premium Audio is only in the LR/Perf - not possible in the SR+ unless you fance rewiring up the car. The SR+ does however have the speakers.

SR+ is not given the free 1 year like the LR or Perf with purchase and this has been stated from the beginning when orders were place in May 2019.

The SR+ free premium service at the moment could end tomorrow and then we would have to pay the monthly sub if it started in the UK to continue with these features.

Heated rear seats is rumoured (Elon tweet) for the SR+ (Not sure if it would be with the Premium sub?) - these do work in the SR+ but software locked. (I had these working for about a week when i first got mine - then the option disappeared in my settings)
A subscription model to use hardware features. hmm. I hope that's not a route we go down.
I can see it now. Unlock more performance for a weekend trip for only $49.99 per day........
Or pay as you go rear seat heaters $0.10 per hour......

A subscription model to use hardware features. hmm. I hope that's not a route we go down.
I can see it now. Unlock more performance for a weekend trip for only $49.99 per day........
Or pay as you go rear seat heaters $0.10 per hour......
Lol - i can see my passengers commenting they are cold and I say "it will cost you 10p an hour if you want your backside warmer!"

It might be a 1 off payment more likely than a subscription

We will just have to wait and see what happens with this

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.