Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured tire/question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the response and attention to safety. That said, you don't know anyone who has died from a tire plug failure. You don't know anyone who knows someone who died of a tire plug failure.
Very true, same for a tubeless tire blowout, it just doesn’t happen. Run flats yes, but not a blow out.

Modern cars report tire pressure and have an oral alarm when pressure is low. Run flats should be a thing of the past.
The cost at a tire store to repair a tire is ~$20...
The problem is when the nail is in the outer part of the tread and tires stores won’t repair it. Tire stores will remove the tire and remove the nail then tell you the tire can’t be fixed.

Now that the nail has been removed the tire won’t hold air for five minutes and you’re stuck buying a new $250 tire. Happened to me twice before I got smart enough to find the nail first and plug it if in the outer treads. I’m no expert, but I’ve got 8,000 miles on a plug and it’s not lost a 1/10 of a pound.

Most tire stores will not plug a puncture in that area, as it flexes significantly when driving and more prone to failure than a similar puncture more centered in the tread.

Tesla and tire stores would recommend a tire replacement. Of course, you could save yourself some money by sticking some Monkey Grip plug in to seal the sir leak, but you would totally be on your own as far as risk.
As Clint Eastwood would say..."Are you feeling lucky, Punk?"

I had a Ford Transit Connect (which slowly fell to pieces before y eyes, but that's a different story) and it had a nail in one of the rear tires. I took it to a no-name tire shop and they fixed it with a plug.

It's not so much the location of the hole that's at the heart of this story, but more the size as it took TWO plugs to seal it

I never had a problem with it after that

Most tire stores will not plug a puncture in that area, as it flexes significantly when driving and more prone to failure than a similar puncture more centered in the tread.

Tesla and tire stores would recommend a tire replacement. Of course, you could save yourself some money by sticking some Monkey Grip plug in to seal the sir leak, but you would totally be on your own as far as risk.
As Clint Eastwood would say..."Are you feeling lucky, Punk?"
I trust my work over anyone else. YMMV!

Apparently I forgot to share my flat experience here...

Recently, my wife arrived at work at 8:30 am, the Tesla app notified at 9:11 am "Air pressure in the front right tire very low. Check for flat tire before driving". We hadn't owned it a month yet.

Arrived and found the Tesla with a completely flat tire, sitting on the rim. Swapped cars with my wife to let her drive home.

Looked at my watch, and it was 6:08 pm. Opened the hatch of the Tesla and pulled out the tire plug kit. I brought better pliers, gloves, and a pump from home, though all those items were also in the Tesla. A puncture that completely empties a tire in 30min had to be very obvious. First glance, I didn't see anything. I backed the car a little, turning the wheel as far as it would go to one side. Sure enough, a square-head screw was the culprit.

It came out easily with pliers. Reaming the hole was easy. Putting the plug in was taking a lot of effort until I started putting air back in the tire, then it went in. I'd get the plugs that come with rubber cement that you coat them with, as it acts as a lubricant. I looked at my watch, and it was 6:17 pm.

The slow part was waiting for the compressor to fill the tire from flat. Usually I catch a leak before too much pressure is lost, so often I won't even have to add any air in the tire until I get back home. At 6:25 pm the tire was up to 30 PSI (45 specified by Tesla), and I decided to drive the short distance home and top off the tire with my pancake compressor.

Driving to the car, fixing the flat, and driving home took ~30 minutes. I have road hazard insurance, but who has time for that?

image000000-jpg.66181

img_5862-jpg.66172

img_5863-jpg.66173

img_5865-jpg.66174

Who experiences "a blowout" due to a failed repair? The only time I've experienced "a blowout" is when my car is hurtling through the air, or otherwise smashing violently into obstacles only maniacs hit.

Worst case, the repair is insufficient, causing a gradual reduction in pressure, necessitating replacement at some point.
with your best dukes of hazard scream...

"Countless crash test studies prove that it is much easier to maintain control over a vehicle if it is the front tire that suffers a blowout. That’s because even if there is are major tire defects causing the blowout, you’ll still have the ability to steer the vehicle."

that link from an insurer says or implies nothing like what you quoted.

no other insurer have similar language.

nhtsa says nothing about axle preferences in their main tire safety page Tires | NHTSA

they performed a large tire failure study but did not focus on links to differences on which axle. they should have, if it was even suspected that it contributes to differences in accidents. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811617

and an industry person who actually simulated tire blowouts (!) for michelin (in addition to being a licensed racer, instructor, and holding various jobs in auto industry) says theres no risk differences across the 2 axles.
While working for a major tire company, I taught about 1500 drivers how to successfully handle a tire blowout. We affixed plastic explosive to the tire sidewall, which not only blew out the tire but also realistically simulated the petrifying noise of a burst tire. The lesson happened at 60 to 65 mph, with simulated blowouts on the front and rear tires of cars, pickups, minivans, and sport-utility vehicles. I rode in the right seat and pushed a big red button to cause the explosion.

No one lost control. In fact, we were so certain the students would always get a successful result that we didn't permit them to wear helmets,

YUP. Watch my video. PLug if possible! I learned to take all the air out.. makes it easier

I find it more difficult when deflated, because the tread then moves with the tool, robbing some of your energy when reaming or inserting the plug. You might even run into the wheel with the ream tool unless you go at an angle. The air pressure trying to force the tools out is insignificant because they have so little area.

Reactions: DrDiesel1