Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range analysis unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I’d like to check the battery status of my new used Model S.

Am I correct in that that’s no longer available in the car itself and has to be done via the app?

I’ve owned the car for a week now but the app keeps saying “range analysis unavailable, try again later”. The car and phone have rebooted multiple times.

How do I check the battery status myself if the app doesn’t work?

Can Tesla check the status with roadside service?

Thanks!
K.

Hi!

I’d like to check the battery status of my new used Model S.

Am I correct in that that’s no longer available in the car itself and has to be done via the app?

I’ve owned the car for a week now but the app keeps saying “range analysis unavailable, try again later”. The car and phone have rebooted multiple times.

How do I check the battery status myself if the app doesn’t work?

Can Tesla check the status with roadside service?

Thanks!
K.
What do you need, just to calculate the actual BMS reported available capacity? This is possible via simple calculation, see here. If you need more info, then you'd need ie SMT tool or other..

What do you need, just to calculate the actual BMS reported available capacity? This is possible via simple calculation, see here. If you need more info, then you'd need ie SMT tool or other..
I just want to know if the most expensive part of the car I just bought is alright or not. And whether it’s all working well enough to allow me to embark on a roadtrip this month.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 6
I have gotten the same message showing this feature unavailable.
But this would not give you what you are looking for anyway. It is not comparing the battery status with other vehicles, but merely your driving style on the longest trip made in the last 2 days. It will show you if your consumption is above or below the rated range and why. Useful but nothing to do with battery degradation.

Reactions: Mōdel K
I have gotten the same message showing this feature unavailable.
But this would not give you what you are looking for anyway. It is not comparing the battery status with other vehicles, but merely your driving style on the longest trip made in the last 2 days. It will show you if your consumption is above or below the rated range and why. Useful but nothing to do with battery degradation.
Thanks, but how would I then get what I need?

Tesla doesn’t have time to come over before my vacation next month.

I had a similar problem when I turned off a privacy setting in the car for sharing charging stats with Tesla. Make sure you share the data otherwise the App can’t see the charging stats.
Thanks, I’ll try this!

Thanks, I’ll try this!
You didn't even mention which car do you have. If it's anything before 2016, then there's real risk the battery might allow moisture to get inside even you have no error codes yet. So it's hard to say. If it's later year, then you should be probably OK. You might also try to enter the Service mode to see what eventual error codes do you have there or which have occurred in the past. SMT tool which I have mentioned earlier is also a good idea to see the balance status of the battery ...I'd also look at it under load/when charging. Would be good to borrow it from somebody nearby who also understands the numbers there.. Nevertheless if the car is running now ok, I'd not be much scared as it can eventually break down anytime :D:D Even after deep inspection ;) Sorry just kidding... Don't take it too much serious and enjoy your new Tesla, congrats and wish you luck!

Thanks, I’ll try this!
I do not believe you can easily get a reading on the battery health. I use Teslamate to log my mileage and get an approximation on battery degradation but you would need to log a lot of miles to get enough datapoints. You could try to estimate the max diving range @ 190 wh/km/ and compare with the advertised rated range when new and guess the degradation from there.
Like @ResHacker said, Service mode could be useful. Or even better don't beat yourself too much over this...

I think I’m mistaken. The graphs I have in my memory are apparently from a paid app, not from Tesla’s own app or from the dashboard.

Sorry guys!

You didn't even mention which car do you have. If it's anything before 2016, then there's real risk the battery might allow moisture to get inside even you have no error codes yet. So it's hard to say. If it's later year, then you should be probably OK. You might also try to enter the Service mode to see what eventual error codes do you have there or which have occurred in the past. SMT tool which I have mentioned earlier is also a good idea to see the balance status of the battery ...I'd also look at it under load/when charging. Would be good to borrow it from somebody nearby who also understands the numbers there.. Nevertheless if the car is running now ok, I'd not be much scared as it can eventually break down anytime :D:D Even after deep inspection ;) Sorry just kidding... Don't take it too much serious and enjoy your new Tesla, congrats and wish you luck!
Thank you very much! I’m very happy with it.

It’s a 2019 Model S so it even still has warranty so I’m not worried too much but it’s my first car so it’s also my first EV and the roadtrip will also be my first solo one. It’s just a little exciting and I just want to make sure I don’t have to call roadside assistance haha

That Scan My Tesla app looks cool. I’ll get one of the Bluetooth adapters when I arrive at the destination.

I also contacted Tesla at the destination country and they have lots of parts and time available so if I’m still worried after a 2000 km single way trip I could always ask them to take a look.

Can’t wait!!

I do not believe you can easily get a reading on the battery health. I use Teslamate to log my mileage and get an approximation on battery degradation but you would need to log a lot of miles to get enough datapoints. You could try to estimate the max diving range @ 190 wh/km/ and compare with the advertised rated range when new and guess the degradation from there.
Like @ResHacker said, Service mode could be useful. Or even better don't beat yourself too much over this...
Yeah if I’m not really supposed to have the data I’m sure it’s all fine and it’ll give some kind of warning if something is wrong.

Could it be that the name of Teslamate has changed? Is it now AutoMate for Tesla? Could be cool to install that. I’m aiming to do about 5k km in the next 2 weeks so I hope that’ll give that app some useful insights.

Thanks for the help, people!

Automate and Teslamate are 2 different things (GitHub - teslamate-org/teslamate: A self-hosted data logger for your Tesla 🚘).
Teslamate is a self-hosted data logger (free but you will need some IT skills to install on a server of your own - nothing super difficult but can take some time learning from the web).
You can check out the screenshots of the many reports on the GitHub link. It does give very useful insights on a lot of data.

Automate and Teslamate are 2 different things (GitHub - teslamate-org/teslamate: A self-hosted data logger for your Tesla 🚘).
Teslamate is a self-hosted data logger (free but you will need some IT skills to install on a server of your own - nothing super difficult but can take some time learning from the web).
You can check out the screenshots of the many reports on the GitHub link. It does give very useful insights on a lot of data.
Awesome, that looks amazing!

I have a spare Pi and love learning new IT stuff so I’ll definitely give this a go!

i just ran it and it said insufficient data (even tho i had long trip n it worked before)
then i checked and hour later n it showed the graph, so maybe a global glitch going around...

also see this thread: