Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss from wider not taller wheels/tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've all seen multiple breakdowns of range and efficiency for changing wheels from 1 diameter to the next.

My question, is there similar information available for staying the same diameter but wider? I have the stock18x8 and considering various aftermarket options at 18 x 8.5 to 9.5.

For this question, ignore the aero covers I don't use and assume total wheel + tire weight is within 2 lbs.

TIA

wider wheel = more traction = more friction = less efficiency. I asked one of those AI chat bots and they came up with this for a .5" increase in tire width:
"Increasing the tire width on a Tesla Model 3 by 0.5 inches is unlikely to cause a drastic decrease in range. The estimated loss would likely fall within the 1-2% range."
Personally, I would be prepared to expect slightly more than that (2-3% per .5 in added to tire width) just to have my expectations tempted after buying and installing the tires only to find out that the real world range has been reduced more than anticipated.

We've all seen multiple breakdowns of range and efficiency for changing wheels from 1 diameter to the next.

You can't only focus on the wheel, and ignore the tire. The wheel is in place to support the tire, and its size, offset, and diameter should be matched accordingly.
All other things being equal (weight, width, tire model), going +/- 1 inch in diameter will have ZERO impact on range and efficiency (though will effect handling if suspension is not changed).

Folks on this forum (and Tesla) confuse things by coupling significantly different tires (performance summer vs. less sticky all-seasons) with wheel diameters, and thus ranges.
The tires are the primary reason for changes in efficiency and range, not the wheel diameter!

My question, is there similar information available for staying the same diameter but wider? I have the stock18x8 and considering various aftermarket options at 18 x 8.5 to 9.5.

Why?
Are you looking to go with wider tires?
If so, pick the optimal wheel width for the target (different) tire width. For example, the table linked here documents recommended wheel widths for Michelin PS4s tires.

Remember - wider is heavier.
Heavier is worse for performance, range, and handling.

HTH,
a

Reactions: rpiotro
You can't only focus on the wheel, and ignore the tire. The wheel is in place to support the tire, and its size, offset, and diameter should be matched accordingly.
All other things being equal (weight, width, tire model), going +/- 1 inch in diameter will have ZERO impact on range and efficiency (though will effect handling if suspension is not changed).

Folks on this forum (and Tesla) confuse things by coupling significantly different tires (performance summer vs. less sticky all-seasons) with wheel diameters, and thus ranges.
The tires are the primary reason for changes in efficiency and range, not the wheel diameter!

Why?
Are you looking to go with wider tires?
If so, pick the optimal wheel width for the target (different) tire width. For example, the table linked here documents recommended wheel widths for Michelin PS4s tires.

Remember - wider is heavier.
Heavier is worse for performance, range, and handling.

HTH,
a
None of this has anything to do with my question, but thanks for the reminders!

If you don't get the basic physics, we can't help you.
Good luck!

I prefaced my question by saying there is a ton of information on diameter. Theoretical and more importantly, real life data and testing. So what you did was reiterate a bunch of the available information on diameter but didn't answer the question on width.

I was asking if testing and data exists for same diameter with different wheel widths, implied is selecting the right tire size for that wheel width.

Do you mind sharing some links to what you've found? I'm currently looking for some of the same data. Trying to decide between 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels for an M3P thats on order.
Sorry I didn't keep them I just searched topics like 255 40 18 or 245 45 18 or 265 35 18 + Tesla Model 3 and found several threads here and on Reddit from people who changed tire sizes. Long story short, those that went wider in general seemed to report small to significant Wh/mi changes for the worse. However, there are other variables to consider such as tire compound and tire weight along with trade-offs between performance and noise.