Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering how they dealt with the recoil from the gun. I was also thinking in terms of a semi-automatic gun. A full auto would go through any ammunition supply it could carry in a short burst.

@AudubonB beat me to it, but I just noticed the company name was way too close to "Felony".
I notice that a lot of the comments in the X post about the Feloni say that it's a fraud / joke. I'm also VERY skeptical about firing those bullets from a drone with what I'd think is massive recoil for something necessarily so light. Fire one shot and lose all attitude control! But I admit I don't know enough specifics to say definitively that those are fake.
Anyone know more on these?

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
... massive recoil for something necessarily so light.
Drones have software that automatically adjusts when perturbed. The caliber of the gun is small, so I wouldn't call it a massive recoil. Size of an american .22 inch caliber.
Fire one shot and lose all attitude control!
The drone would move back if it was still, or slow down if it was moving forward, with respect to were the gun is pointing.

But I admit I don't know enough specifics to say definitively that those are fake.
Anyone know more on these?
Website, spec sheet, published press release, and reported widely. If it is fake it is masterful.

1714877480251.png

Last edited:
Drones have software that automatically adjusts when perturbed. The caliber of the gun is small, so I wouldn't call it a massive recoil. Size of an american .22 inch caliber.

The drone would move back if it was still, or slow down if it was moving forward, with respect to were the gun is pointing.

Website, spec sheet, published press release, and reported widely. If it is fake it is masterful.

View attachment 1044471

That chart has 8mm. I don't think anybody has made 8mm since Yugoslavia came apart. My partner has an 8mm rifle and I couldn't find ammunition for it.

A .22 doesn't have much kick. A reasonably large drone would have enough mass and power to absorb that kind of recoil.

That chart has 8mm. I don't think anybody has made 8mm since Yugoslavia came apart. My partner has an 8mm rifle and I couldn't find ammunition for it.

A .22 doesn't have much kick. A reasonably large drone would have enough mass and power to absorb that kind of recoil.
That Feloni dronegun is supposedly a .223 (5.56mm) rather than .22. There's a fair bit more recoil from a .223 compared to a .22 but not enough to upset a drone I think. Judging by the number of sites publishing the press release I don't think it's fake as such but I don't think it actually exists either.

The renders are way too simple. There certainly isn't a 16" barrel shown and the feed mechanism would need to be more elaborate for a belt fed M16. I think what we have here is an existing DoD supplier looking to get a slice of the $61B.

They've "launched" an idea rather than an actual product.

A.I. controlled fighter jets are shown to be better than humans in some situations. The number of situations will increase over time. What does this mean for Ukraine? What we've known for a long time: drone warfare is the future.

Slightly off topic, the protests in Georgia:

Since Georgia won independence, its EU ambitions have grown steadily. Most citizens want their country to join the EU and Nato. For Georgia, turning its back on the west would mean returning to Russian domination. Russia can use its significantly bigger military and economic potential against the sovereignty of Georgia, and still effectively occupies 20% of our territory.

Civil society and independent journalism died out in Russia after it introduced a “foreign agent” law in 2012. This is why protesters are calling the Georgian bill “Russian”.

Slightly off topic, the protests in Georgia:

Georgia is literally in a bad spot. Wish them the best, but regional geopolitics do not portend well:

Russia is immediately on their norther borders. The Black Sea is to their west but so close (adjacent) to Russia that it could be easily blockaded by Russia.

Armenia and Azerbaijan are to the south and southeast respectively, but could offer little support and Iran sits to the south of them...

Turkey to their southwest is ostensibly a NATO country but in name only, so would not expect supply line support through that vector or even token democratic moral support from them.

A.I. controlled fighter jets are shown to be better than humans in some situations. The number of situations will increase over time. What does this mean for Ukraine? What we've known for a long time: drone warfare is the future.

Is there any other coverage on this than the Eurasian Times?...

I'm just a layman on this – but these AI controlled fighters – do they have a tele linc to the aircraft they're fighting that provides them with all of their opponent's flight data in real time?

This article from AP doesn't say...

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
... do they have a tele linc to the aircraft they're fighting that provides them with all of their opponent's flight data in real time? ...
That doesn't make sense to me. Would defeat the purpose of the tests and is contrary to what has been reported: successful dogfight. But as you may know the A.I. has some strong advantages in sensing the opponent aircraft. It can use multiple sensors simultaneously to gather information such as camera, radar, infra red, etc.. The A.I. can react faster than a human. The A.I. can theoretically zoom the camera onto the opponent and watch the surfaces (ex rudder) change and react to that before the opponent aircraft has changed direction.

Related articles:
  1. AI Flew X-62 VISTA During Simulated Dogfight Against Manned F-16
  2. US Air Force says AI-controlled F-16 has fought humans
  3. AF Secretary Kendall Flies In AI-Controlled X-62 VISTA at Edwards AFB
  4. Inside the special F-16 the Air Force is using to test out AI - Breaking Defense

Allegedly:

Mothers in hospitals in temporarily occupied Luhansk region are facing threats of having their newborns taken away unless either parent has Russian citizenship. According to ISW, these actions violate Article II(d) of the Genocide Convention.

twitter.com/United24media/status/1786741268313207028

That Feloni dronegun is supposedly a .223 (5.56mm) rather than .22. There's a fair bit more recoil from a .223 compared to a .22 but not enough to upset a drone I think. Judging by the number of sites publishing the press release I don't think it's fake as such but I don't think it actually exists either.

The renders are way too simple. There certainly isn't a 16" barrel shown and the feed mechanism would need to be more elaborate for a belt fed M16. I think what we have here is an existing DoD supplier looking to get a slice of the $61B.

They've "launched" an idea rather than an actual product.

Perun broke down the $61 billion Ukraine aid and there is a big wad of cash for R&D for the USAF. I'm sure most of that money is related to drone warfare.

That doesn't make sense to me. Would defeat the purpose of the tests and is contrary to what has been reported: successful dogfight. But as you may know the A.I. has some strong advantages in sensing the opponent aircraft. It can use multiple sensors simultaneously to gather information such as camera, radar, infra red, etc.. The A.I. can react faster than a human. The A.I. can theoretically zoom the camera onto the opponent and watch the surfaces (ex rudder) change and react to that before the opponent aircraft has changed direction.

Related articles:
  1. AI Flew X-62 VISTA During Simulated Dogfight Against Manned F-16
  2. US Air Force says AI-controlled F-16 has fought humans
  3. AF Secretary Kendall Flies In AI-Controlled X-62 VISTA at Edwards AFB
  4. Inside the special F-16 the Air Force is using to test out AI - Breaking Defense

One of the biggest advantages a drone controlled fighter has is maneuver. A drone can push the jet to its limits while a human controlled plane is more limited by the meat suit in the cockpit. A human in top shape can take a short time as 9g without passing out while the AI can hold that turn much longer.

Humans have advantages with the sensor suite. The main human sensor can move in more axis that and computer sensor so the human may see things the AI misses.