Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC gas lighting - look at this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What started as a very minor clicking sound half a year ago, and thousands of dollars and numerous visits to the SC (temecula ca) has become unrelenting much worse suspension noises.

At every step of the way they've gaslit me saying these are normal sounds or that they dont even hear it. Sometimes when I am sitting IN the car with them they will say they dont hear anything when it's as clear as day. After this last encounter with them, they told me how lucky I am that they didnt charge me over half a grand to torque some fore link bolts that were NOT torqued down. Mind you NOBODY has touched these bolts other than Tesla when they installed them a few months ago! They said I need to live with these sounds as they are "minor" and "not concerning or unusual".

Fed up with the incompetence I took off the front wheel where the noise was coming from, and simply shook the suspension (BY HAND) and FOUND THE SOURCE OF THE NOISE (in the video)!!!! Absolutely appalling the level of incompetence and despicable attitude towards their customers. It is clear why Tesla is in trouble. Sorry for the rant but I've never seen this level of disdain for their custom as well as incompetence from any company I've ever dealt with.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 9
Looks like some kinda of anti sway bar retaining bracket... is it cracked? or just loose? It's definitely loose, there is a nut higher up on the frame that was absolutely not torqued down... how did you fix it? Do you off road with your X? How many miles do you have on your X?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scubamikey
Looks like some kinda of anti sway bar retaining bracket... is it cracked? or just loose? It's definitely loose, there is a nut higher up on the frame that was absolutely not torqued down... how did you fix it? Do you off road with your X? How many miles do you have on your X?

Yes it’s completely loose bolt from when the sc replaced the entire front suspension of it over the past 6 months at my expense. They most certainly removed this bolt to do those suspension parts and didn’t tighten it back down when they were done. This isn’t the first one they admitted themselves the fore link bolts were also not torqued down a few months after those were replaced as well.

You could have this with any car maker. I had a brand new 2006 Mustang GT. It developed a rattle, dealer swore they couldnt hear it. I finally found it when I put Eibach adjustable struts on the car. The front swaybar end link was loose and had wallowed out the hole it is bolted to on the strut. And according to the torque specs it takes 85lb-ft. Out of curiosity I checked the other side before removing and it was also lose, but hadn't moved any. It took about a full rotation before it reached 85lb-ft.

This isn't a Tesla only thing...

I had the same issue with my Miata, I had several thousand dollars in racing related suspension and exhausts replacing stock components so I could track the car, after everything was installed it had this crazy knocking sound coming from under the car for months. Took it back to the installer they couldn't find it... finally I jacked the car up and got a large pry bar and starting stressing out components to see what it should like under load and found a end link that would make the noise when I stressed the anti-sway bar in front, that was not torqued down correctly. grabbed a torque wrench. and fixed in a like five minutes... sound was completely gone. Went back and showed the tech at the shop I used and it admitted that he may have forgot to go around and double check the torque.

Toyota was worse, had a brake job done, 1000 miles later I am towing a trailer going to Scout camp with my son and as I decelerated I was getting crazy vibrations in the front suspension. At higher speeds it was smooth as glass, decided to exit to check it out, as I got off the exit ramp my front passenger wheel sheared off and goes flying up the exit ramp into a ditch. Call a tow truck and they pull the FJ half mile to a truck stop and the throw it up on a lift and start looking everything over... the freaking lugs nuts were hand tight on 1 of the 3 remaining wheels... the front passenger wheel had worked loose and sheared off the lug nuts and passenger side rear was starting to work loose. Called Toyota, they came and got the truck and fixed everything for no cost at a dealer near the scout camp.

We get to the Scout Camp late at night and as we drive in I see a memorial for 3 Scouts and the dad of the surviving boy. A chill ran up my spine when I saw this, I snapped a picture and when we got home I went back to the Toyota Dealer in Northern Virginia to meet with the manager and his staff. I wasn't mean I just wanted him to talk to the shop team and explain what happened and what could have happened. I shared a picture of the memorial at the camp and explained what happened to my truck. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room.

Pay attention to your car, if it's making noises, get it checked out, it could save your life, especially suspension/brake/steering components.

Reactions: FireFighterHil