Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy used MX 2016 P90D Founder series with expired warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm on the fence to purchase a used MX 2016 P90D founder #18 with 117K miles for $25k. The seller already replaced the HV and rear drive train while under warranty a year ago. Since the car is out of warranty for everything, my concern is that how long will the replaced HV & motor will last? Should I be aware of any major problems down the road? This is my first Tesla and I just want to own it for another 4-5 years. Any feedback would be appreciated.

if HV is reman then it might not last long, ask for invoice or pack label
DU is probably also leak prone version but u can mitigate that now with coolant bypass mod
Other than that u can have usual suspension wear items later...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-18 065922.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-18 065922.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-05-18 070604.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-18 070604.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
so DU is the latest rev -U, this is coolant delete version so ur good to go there
for HV, looks like it wasn't replaced, just the rear electronics (ancillary unit)
90kwh packs are pretty solid besides just the lower than advertised capacity
if that car has v3 (part # 108*) then its a great pack, earlier versions had faster degradation
i have same pack n its solid, even got 170kw top charging rate once

Upvote 0
the invoice shows that the HV & the DU were replaced. The DU is the latest and greatest and the HV looks to the the 350v version of the 85/90kwh battery (not reman) which is based on modern 100kwh battery chemistry. If this car has Free Supercharging, I'd jump all over the deal.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm on the fence to purchase a used MX 2016 P90D founder #18 with 117K miles for $25k. The seller already replaced the HV and rear drive train while under warranty a year ago. Since the car is out of warranty for everything, my concern is that how long will the replaced HV & motor will last? Should I be aware of any major problems down the road? This is my first Tesla and I just want to own it for another 4-5 years. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Just buy a new Model Y. With the 7.5k tax credit, 0.99% APR and no maintenance costs with the warranty it's a no brainer. Used Tesla's shouldn't be your first unless you know them very well.

Upvote 0