Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some new data from research on Tesla model 3 cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has recently been released a series of new research reports containing tests on Tesla Model 3 Cells (Panasonic 2170 NCA).
This is the calendar aging test from one of them (25C, 15, 50 and 85% SOC. Checkup once a month):
Using the datapoints from these and putting them in the old charts I ususally post, these match the olds ones quite good. As there is only three points, it do not show the real form of the curve, but all three points match the usual graphs.
IMG_1736.jpeg

For the cyclic tests, they did use rather high currents, not really respresentative to normal EV use. (To the researchers defense, the currents used is sort of the most EV-battery manufacturers current in the specifications but still not close to the regulkar EV usage).
Charged with 0.33C which would match about a 25kW DC charger, or double to four times the usual rate EV owners use mostly. Probably not offsetting the result much, but to be clear this is how it was done.

Discharged with 1C, which would be 78kW, about enough to drive constant at 200kph. This is way above the average power used from a regular EV. Driving at higway speeds at 120kph/80mph or so, we normally use like 1/4 of that power.
The average car often has a average speed longterm of about 50-60kph, meaning we often use 1/8-1/4 of the power in these cyclic tests.
From other tests we can se that lower power reduce the wear, the degradation often reduces to somewhere down to 0.5-0.7C.

In this report the author was a bit surprised over the increased wear at 5-15% SOC and 15-25% SOC. I would say that it it a very high probability of that this is induced by the 1C discharge rate, and that our normal power rates used IRL would make this look different. This is nothing I can promise but from several other research tests we can see that there ususally is a tendency to slightly increase the cyclic degradation at the lowest SOC ranges.

According to this chart, the best cycling range is 55 % down to 35%( see note below about true SOC).

Note: These are “True SOC”. 0% in this chart is where the car already has stopped, and 5% in-chart is about 0% displayed and 55% in-chart is is about 57% displayed.
IMG_1735.jpeg

As I said above, there is a high probability that the low SOC range wear much less with a lower C-rate. Anyway, due to the high impact of calendar aging we most certainly benefit from staying low in SOC.

For the first two years, we would loose about 9-9.5% from calendar aging if staying at high SOC.
During these two years, if we drive 15-20K km annually (10-15Kmiles), and stay in the very low regime cycling (5-25% true SOC, thats 0-20% displayed SOC) we would loose about 1% from ~ 75-100 FCE cycles during these two years/30-40K km.

IRL its not possible to stay that low in SOC without actively stopping the charging, as 50% is the lowest setting (but for reference to low /high SOC).

To reach the same level of cyclic degradation from low SOC cycling according to the chart we would need about 700FCE, or about 280K km, but that is not really possible to do and at the same time stay at 5-25% SOC.

So, a car charged to 80-90%, and used as most EV’s is used, will mostly be above 55% SOC and have a calendar aging close to the 85% graph.
After two years, it will be around 10% degradation if the average cell temp is about 25C.

If the car was charged to 50-55% it would have a calendar aging around 6%, and the cyclic aging would be half the high SOC car, so more or less negligeble.

Link to one report

[Edit]For what its worth, if someone is worried about the low SOC below 20% (I am not, but I’m aware of the classic forum rumors), charging to 50-55% and charging for the daily drives at or above 20% (not talking longer traveling here) all aspect of this report if ticked-in-the-box.

I will not change any of my charging behavior because of this report. There is from time to time small differences in the reports and usually the reason for that can be found by thorougly comparing with other tests. We need much more than one report to state a “fact”.

Last edited:
I suspect (AAKEE appreciate your opinion) that L2 charging to 100% and avoiding a supercharger stop will be superior for battery life than the reverse.
This is always my question. Leaving for a roadtrip tomorrow. Am I better off charging to 100%, letting the car sit for 12+ hours at 100%, and supercharging a little less? Or doing my usual charge-to-60% and supercharging a little more?

I previously would do a 90% charge instead of 100%, but now that the recommendation is 80%, I'm leaning towards the full 100% actually leading to less degradation due to the worse aging at 80%. OTOH, this increases my DoD b/c I'm charging from a low % (eg 20%) and will be returning to a low % (eg 20%)

Reactions: APotatoGod
This is always my question. Leaving for a roadtrip tomorrow. Am I better off charging to 100%, letting the car sit for 12+ hours at 100%, and supercharging a little less? Or doing my usual charge-to-60% and supercharging a little more?

I previously would do a 90% charge instead of 100%, but now that the recommendation is 80%, I'm leaning towards the full 100% actually leading to less degradation due to the worse aging at 80%
Just charge to 100% and have it ready to go at the time you leave.

There is no reason to inconvenience yourself.

It’s not going to cause any appreciable aging. Do the math on the amount of time spent as a percentage of total time. And just leave it at 55% the rest of the time (not 60%), assuming you have NCA/NMCA.

Seems to be a big difference between 55% (actually 57%) and 60% (actually 62%) If you are trying to minimize capacity loss by keeping lower SOC you may as well follow the data. 50% looks very safe, 55% is on the edge, and 60% is over the edge.

A longer run will ensure the battery is fully warmed and ready for the Supercharger too - much lower chance of a premature temp-limited charge when starting at 100%. Be sure to navigate to Supercharger.

Last edited:
Reactions: thefrog1394
Just charge to 100% and have it ready to go at the time you leave.

There is no reason to inconvenience yourself.

Assuming I'm not actually able to skip a stop on the first leg (which is often the case, either due to SC placement or bladders), we're talking about a few minutes of charging time. So the convenience factor is minimal either way. Agreed its not worth stressing over if full charging allows me to eliminate an entire charging session.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Assuming I'm not actually able to skip a stop on the first leg (which is often the case, either due to SC placement or bladders), we're talking about a few minutes of charging time. So the convenience factor is minimal either way. Agreed it’s not worth stressing over if full charging allows me to eliminate an entire charging session.
Added to post but in any case just charge to 100%. Not an issue at all. Assuming of course you end below 50% or so.

Remember to lower the charge limit after your trip (super annoying that you can’t pick different limits for Superchargers and for L2, or somehow deal with this problem. Like being able to specify this is a one-time limit (probably the best approach)).

And just leave it at 55% the rest of the time (not 60%), assuming you have NCA/NMCA.

Seems to be a big difference between 55% (actually 57%) and 60% (actually 62%) If you are trying to minimize capacity loss by keeping lower SOC you may as well follow the data. 50% looks very safe, 55% is on the edge, and 60% is over the edge.
60% is a convenience thing (and I'll often do more like 70-80%). I don't plug in at home daily. Daily drives are very short (few miles at most) but I usually will charge before I anticipate a longer trip the following day. So by the time I return from a round trip to the suburbs, I'm back at the optimal <55% for the car to sit at :)

60% is a convenience thing (and I'll often do more like 70-80%). I don't plug in at home daily. Daily drives are very short (few miles at most) but I usually will charge before I anticipate a longer trip the following day. So by the time I return from a round trip to the suburbs, I'm back at the optimal <55% for the car to sit at :)
Just keep in mind the amount of time below 55% and maximize it. Nothing wrong with charging to 70-80% for the day (as late as possible). Just make sure it is at 55% or lower as much of the time as possible.

Keeping at 65% is very roughly twice as bad as keeping at around 55%. (And 70%, 80%, 90%, 100% are roughly similar to 65%.)

Last edited:
Although the data clearly shows at what soc what is the aging process, I still think we shouldn't worry about it too much because that would lower the quality of the experience of owning an EV.
Depends how you use it.

It makes absolutely zero difference in the quality or experience of my ownership whether I charge to 50% or 80% because I plug in every day and only use 10-15% daily.

Why not say charge to 100% though if it degrades battery less than 80%
Suppose the driver uses 25% of the charge in a day. Starting at 100%, the car will then end the day at 75%. But if starting at 80%, it will end the day at 55%.

Of course, starting at 55-60% for an NMC battery and ending the day at 30-35% is better for battery longevity, but car companies may be hesitant to recommend that low a normal daily drive charge level.

Reactions: Geir and AAKEE
Is increased internal resistance a mechanism of degradation? Something else?
Yes, Internal resistance is one of the things that causes less capacity, but it is already part of the measured losses we se at a calendar aging chart. So we do not need to account for ”extra capacity loss.

Internal resistance will reduce the maximum power the battery can deliver and reduce the maximum charging rate for the cell itself (in the cases where Tesla limits the current and not the battery itself setting the limit it might not be noticable).

It it nothing we actually need to think about, but I think I need to inform about it when I tell that the calendar aging is worse at 80% in some cases.

To make it easy we should imagine that the calendar aging is having about the same rate above the step in the chart at normal temperatures.
Imagine that 80% to 100% has the same calendar aging.
Some calendar aging tests finds it like this:
IMG_4903.jpeg

This is always my question. Leaving for a roadtrip tomorrow. Am I better off charging to 100%, letting the car sit for 12+ hours at 100%, and supercharging a little less?
100% would be comparable to 70-95% for the 12hours.

It is probably not a big difference between leaving it for 12 hours at 100% or leaving it at low SOC and then supercharge.
Use the solution most convinient for you…

Things not done every day will have a low impact on the total degradation.

I can charge at home, the time at high SOC will be low, so in my case I would have the car to reach 100% shortly before the drive.
I do 100% relatively often (average > one per month)
Or doing my usual charge-to-60% and supercharging a little more?
The usual 60% could be reduced to 55% to make sure you are on the low side in the calendar aging. Se the curve in the last post. 60% displayed in the car equals ~62% real SOC, as the car has 4.5% buffer below 0% on the screen.
I previously would do a 90% charge instead of 100%, but now that the recommendation is 80%, I'm leaning towards the full 100% actually leading to less degradation due to the worse aging at 80%.
The principle for daily charging should be to not charge more than you need and to charge often. And, if possible to charge late (so the charge is ready shortly before the drive).

For once and a while longer drives, the difference between a charge to 80-90-100% is negligible.
For longer drives I mostly charge to 100%, the only thing making me select less is to have low SOC at arrival if the car will not be driven for longer time after arrival.
Like going to work 240/300km, when the car will be parked for a week I try to match 10-15% at arrival (to have a margin for re-routing for accidents etc.

Going to Tesla servicecenter next week and they plan to have the car up to one week I will charge to arrive with ~20% or so.
OTOH, this increases my DoD b/c I'm charging from a low % (eg 20%) and will be returning to a low % (eg 20%)
Cyclic aging is only causing a fraction of the degradation so it is still a small part.

Although the data clearly shows at what soc what is the aging process, I still think we shouldn't worry about it too much because that would lower the quality of the experience of owning an EV.

For me, only one thing is important here on TMC - that people do their choices based on facts and not on myth’s that actually will render increased degradation when they try to reduce degradation.

The choice made is 100% personal and as lithium batteries will not break by normal use as long as we follow Teslas tips there is no need to do anything else but follow Teslas rules.

A common point is that the power is reduced with low SOC - that is a fair point.

Not caring at all is also a fair point - for most people that really do not care they might not see a difference (never really checking the degradation) during the time they have the car.

I also recommend not overdoing the low SOC thing for the ones doing it. It still should be fun to own and use an EV.