Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound dampening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some Noico sound dampening material coming from Amazon and I can't seem to find a consensus on the standard for installation.

Do I install it on the inside of the door, or do I install it on the outside?

Before you give me those smart ass comments of "duh the inside". I'm referring to the inside meaning where the window glass goes or the outside where the interior door assembly snaps to.
Or do I do both?

Also I will do my trunk but that is pretty self explanatory, for the liftgate I'm prob just gonna slap a few pieces in random spots with any leftovers. But that begs the same question as the doors… inside, outside, or both?

You are supposed to put it on the metal part of the door, let me explain this way -
If someone is to shoot a bullet through that door, the bullet first hits the metal and next thing it must hit is the Noico.
I did that with my first Model 3, only that I went full ballistic and put it everywhere. I probably added at least 200lbs to the weight of the car. but the only thing it reduced was my range, not the noise. Then I got other tires and that had a sensible difference for noise.

You are supposed to put it on the metal part of the door, let me explain this way -
If someone is to shoot a bullet through that door, the bullet first hits the metal and next thing it must hit is the Noico.
I did that with my first Model 3, only that I went full ballistic and put it everywhere. I probably added at least 200lbs to the weight of the car. but the only thing it reduced was my range, not the noise. Then I got other tires and that had a sensible difference for noise.
What were the quieter tires?

I got it all installed in the 4 doors and in the liftgate and I also put some in the base and sides of the trunk, along with some strips on the case of the subwoofer to make it push the bass where it should go and not get lost to its case.

It is objectively quieter but I have no way to quantify it. I now need to put some in the B pillars and the roof area above the sun visors. As I can now hear road noise from those areas.
Also the wind noise is more noticeable now so I will prob do the RTV around the windshield method to eliminate those air gaps that cause the wind turbulence that causes the noise. Out here in the desert the wind gets strong and the other day i took a drive in 40mph winds and holy **** it was loud.

I'm thinking after all that if i still hear crap that ill add some material in the wheel wells, not much maybe a few sqft on the fender and a bit on the inner fender too as i have a couple sheets leftover still