Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Augusta, ME - 281 Civic Center Dr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is where the Augusta Supercharger should always have been. I used this Irving across the street extensively when I drove ICE, but I have always passed the Augusta Supercharger up on the hill because it takes forever to get up there. That and there aren't really any good food/bathroom options up there. I don't need a sit-down experience like Red Robin and the other quick-food options are a somewhat harrowing walk up and down that windy, hilly access drive. Waterville is good except that sometimes Augusta is the sweeter spot in terms of arriving at the best battery percentage for charging.

I wonder if the one up by the mall will remain open? Speaking for myself, I doubt I'd ever use it again after this one opens.
Agree that the supercharger "up the hill" by the Red Rob has met an unfortunate situation. Development up there got killed by the Pandemic. The Red Robin itself closed for a while. Finding a bathroom is a challenge.
Nice view from up there, but it's a long way up that hill, and only one way to get up there.
I bet it's hard for Tesla to re-deploy equipment, after putting so much time and effort into building it out. It's a "sunk cost" now, so I expect that it's cheaper to leave there than to move it.

June First update on the newer site across from the Rt27 Irving station, in the Comfort Inn parking lot. I had driven by there about two weeks ago, and there was no construction activity. Today, the edge of the parking lot has been fenced off, in the peculiar way that Tesla does it. So, it seems that there is forward progress.

To See images of the new site:

Jump to 7:30 of this youtube video:

Agree that the supercharger "up the hill" by the Red Rob has met an unfortunate situation. Development up there got killed by the Pandemic. The Red Robin itself closed for a while. Finding a bathroom is a challenge.
Nice view from up there, but it's a long way up that hill, and only one way to get up there.
I bet it's hard for Tesla to re-deploy equipment, after putting so much time and effort into building it out. It's a "sunk cost" now, so I expect that it's cheaper to leave there than to move it.

June First update on the newer site across from the Rt27 Irving station, in the Comfort Inn parking lot. I had driven by there about two weeks ago, and there was no construction activity. Today, the edge of the parking lot has been fenced off, in the peculiar way that Tesla does it. So, it seems that there is forward progress.

You have piqued my interest. I might go for a drive tomorrow..

Reactions: Tdreamer and kayak1
Area with most stalls indicated on permit fenced off. Also fenced off to the future new power pole. An excavator but no other signs of work.

No Tesla equipment on site.

The potential pull through stalls mentioned aren't fenced off, so possibly plans were changed or they'll do those later.

Progress!

OK. Time to go shopping

@Guacahummus @corywright

20240602_105154.jpg20240602_105030.jpg20240602_104831.jpg

Heh. The one on the hill is darn near perfect for me, since I don’t so much drive through Augusta as to it (from Rome), to get supplies. The things I can’t get at Hammond Lumber I have to get at HD, so the charger is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmer

Is that why access to the shopping area via that back driveway onto Old Belgrade Rd. never happened? Sometimes I think that had that driveway/entrance been completed, access to the Supercharger via the next exit north would almost be easier than the present Exit 112 and driveway.

Reactions: Johnny Vector

Frankly, that person comes across very negatively. (I was going to use a different phrase).

He was also wrong at one point, because he talked about not being compliant with NEVI's 150kW requirement, even though it meets that requirements easily. The problem is that it doesn't meet the Voltage requirement, if you read the Voltage range requirement as a hard requirement.

Also he described the current Augusta, ME Supercharger as pokey, when it's actually 8 stalls, something CCS users can usually only dream of.

I've charged my Kona (max 200A) at the Kittery EA which is 4 x 150kW. Because they don't have power sharing, I had to wait, even though there was a Bolt charging and Kona1 + Bolt <= 350A. (It wasn't the Bolt that finished first). With power-sharing, which Tesla implemented early, I'd have been able to plug in immediately. I had something similar at a Manchester, CT EA, where 1 of the 4 EA chargers wasn't working and a Bolt was charging.

Is that why access to the shopping area via that back driveway onto Old Belgrade Rd. never happened? Sometimes I think that had that driveway/entrance been completed, access to the Supercharger via the next exit north would almost be easier than the present Exit 112 and driveway.

Exit 113 used to be accessible from the east only. They made it accessible in 2013 from the west they built the new Maine General hospital and the two rotaries. I still doubt they'd have opened that up if it had been there before the Mall. I don't think it's built for heavy traffic.

Exit 113 used to be accessible from the east only. They made it accessible in 2013 from the west they built the new Maine General hospital and the two rotaries. I still doubt they'd have opened that up if it had been there before the Mall. I don't think it's built for heavy traffic.
I enjoy the surprise every year of finding out whether the navigation will choose exit 112 or 113 to get me up to Belgrade. It seems to vary randomly. Very exciting! (Hey, after 2 days of driving you take whatever entertainment you can get.)

• Funny
Reactions: Farmer and Acps110
I enjoy the surprise every year of finding out whether the navigation will choose exit 112 or 113 to get me up to Belgrade. It seems to vary randomly. Very exciting! (Hey, after 2 days of driving you take whatever entertainment you can get.)

It could depend on what it thinks of light timing in the area. There are more lights to go through from 112, but speeds should pick up after 3 lights, while 113 requires 2 rotaries and right at a light at some lower speeds.

Fun fact: Google Maps really doesn't like to turn left from the north end of Old Belgrade Road onto Civic Center Drive/ME-8/ME-11/ME-27 towards Augusta. It tells you to turn right and turn around. I don't know if they have it marked as a long light or what.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Before I retired (pre-EV) I drove from the Bangor area to points south and back once or twice a week. I almost always stopped at the Irving off of 112 toward Belgrade for a break and a snack (and gas if I needed it). Amost never used 109a or B--a zoo. And the 112 exit for the Augusta Civic Center was usually very busy and didn't (and still doesn't) offer much in the way of a quick rest stop. I never considered using 113. Fast forward, post EV, we now stop at 130 (Waterville). Still crazy busy but easy access to the Supercharger and lots of places to eat or take a break. When the Supercharger opens near the Irving at exit 112, we'll probably gravitate back to it. Convenient, easy on and off, not overrun with traffic and stop lights, clean washrooms and lots of snack choices at the Irving. I think most folks passing thru on a regular basis will feel the same way.