Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely disagree.

Knowing a few people in Tesla (including one who was recently laid off and still speaks very glowingly of Musk) Musk IS Tesla, he is still extremely heavily involved and thrives on the multitasking. It's extremely clear if you follow anything he has done that focus on one task is not how he works best and in crisis mode is where he really shines.

A change in CEO would be the dumbest possible move ever and would set Tesla back at least a decade.

Multi-tasking isn't a special word that adds more hours to a day. There simply isn't enough time to dedicate yourself.

Tesla set back a decade because of a new CEO? Are you serious. Plenty of big companies have accelerated under new CEOs. Don't get fooled by thinking people are irreplaceable, that's for love only.

I doubt the sky will fall - building a charging network is a long-game. It takes years for some sites to get from planning to completion.

What it does illustrate though, for those who may not have noticed already, is that putting all your eggs in a basket tightly controlled by an eccentric individual is not completely wise.

It's great that Elon built an electric car - now we need other companies to compete.
It's great that Elon built re-usable rockets - now we need other companies to compete.
It's great that Elon built a broadband satellite network - now we need other companies to compete.
It's great that Elon built a charging network - now we need other companies to compete.

If this little event wakes people up a little to make sure that there are good alternative EV charging networks in Australia, then it might be a blessing in disguise.

If the capital required doesn't meet the business plans of commercial entities, then it should be the role of Government to kick-start it. Yes I know they have been doing that, but at a laughable scale.
Agree 1000%

Multi-tasking isn't a special word that adds more hours to a day. There simply isn't enough time to dedicate yourself.

Tesla set back a decade because of a new CEO? Are you serious. Plenty of big companies have accelerated under new CEOs. Don't get fooled by thinking people are irreplaceable, that's for love only.
Qantas, Aust post, Woolworths…

Reactions: Jules22
It makes a hell of a lot more sense for service stations, fast food chains and shopping centres to build charging networks, than it does for a vehicle manufacturer.
I don't agree. That's the top-down, centrally-planned view: where do I think these things make most sense, ok, the people who own that places should be running them.

I prefer the view that says: who has the most incentive for these things to exist and work well? And the answer to that is the people that want to sell vehicles that rely on them.

As PJK once said: In the great race of life, always back the horse called Self Interest - at least you know it's trying.

Problem is. What happens when they stop making the sausages, but people are still buying the buns to put the sausage in. There is going to be a sausage shortage. 🤣

The sausage making I am referring to is all the real estate lease signing, liaising with electrical subcontractors, councils, power companies etc.
..The boring, slow stuff..

The SC factories in Buffalo & Shanghai are still running.

Nothing will be impacted today. But as people continue buying Tesla's. Unless the charging network keeps growing, we are not going to be served on time.

Please refer to my earlier comment..
Elon has fired an entire team of literal rocket scientists (working on Starlink) and yet managed to launch thousands of satellites into space a year later. No disrespect to electrical engineers and PMs, but they should be easier to hire/re-hire in comparison.

There will be a leaner, more efficient team in place without the Dilbert comics style job titles like “Strategic Charging Programs Lead" (Is there a “Tactical Charging Programs Lead”? 😂)

Some emails bouncing isn't the end of the world.

Are you kidding me? Contractors mid-way through expensive SC builds suddenly have no-one in Tesla they can talk to? No alternates are provided, no warning was given, no transition plan appears to be in effect? And you’re totally cool with that and think that’s normal or acceptable business practice? Seriously?

No company - none - should ever completely cut off communication with its customers and contractors. It is the complete antithesis of how to run a good business and having respect for the people and partners that company deals with.

This is not about the SC hardware, it’s about the bread-and-butter drudge work to actually get SC’s built and operating, and how it takes a lot of people with deep experience and institutional knowledge working together to get it done.

The number of people here defending the indefensible is eye-opening.

Exactly. Multitasking is a myth and cognitive studies have proved it.

What people call “mulitasking” is actually rapid task-switching. It is still a serial process of doing one thing, stopping it, and then doing some other thing. And what those studies showed is doing that results in poorer outcomes and less efficient task completion, because it takes time for the brain to stop thinking about the task that was being worked on, change gears, and then start being productive on the new task. Those cognitive ramp-ups each time a task switch is done takes time, and therefore reduces throughput and effectiveness.

There are other consequences to doing this too, which is covered here:

The research is almost unanimous, which is very rare in social science, and it says that people who chronically multitask show an enormous range of deficits. They're basically terrible at all sorts of cognitive tasks, including multitasking. So in our research, the people who say they're the best at multitasking because they do it all the time. So we have scales that allow us to divide up people into people who multitask all the time and people who rarely do, and the differences are remarkable. People who multitask all the time can't filter out irrelevancy. They can't manage a working memory. They're chronically distracted. They initiate much larger parts of their brain that are irrelevant to the task at hand. And even - they're even terrible at multitasking. When we ask them to multitask, they're actually worse at it. So they're pretty much mental wrecks.

What people call “mulitasking” is actually rapid task-switching. It is still a serial process of doing one thing, stopping it, and then doing some other thing. And what those studies showed is doing that results in poorer outcomes and less efficient task completion,
Interesting, it's one of the first and most important skills we teach aircrew in military aviation. We would not survive without these skills and recruiting for people who thrive in that environment.

I'll be sure to let CDF and all other defence forces world wide know that we are doing it wrong because random on internet says so.

It's also how I've worked through my life in and out of the military with very good results.

As for the rest

1714642015846.png

Reactions: SPadival and dronus
Interesting, it's one of the first and most important skills we teach aircrew in military aviation. We would not survive without these skills and recruiting for people who thrive in that environment.

It's also how I've worked through my life in and out of the military with very good results.

As for the rest

View attachment 1043666
image000000.jpeg

Who gives a ___ about some mythical contractor? Won’t someone think of the little contractor 🤣Their interest is protected by a contract and they will be suitably compensated for any breach of contract by Tesla.

We as customers are not affected. This is a storm in a teacup. If the email hadn’t leaked, we’d have been none the wiser .. but sadly, there wouldn’t have been any opportunity for displaying righteous indignation about how some contractor has been treated!

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
"multitasking" is actually rapid "task-switching
In that case no one can ever be CEO of even one company. There is a difference between multitasking and carrying multiple responsibilities. Does RocketMan taskswitch?. I don't know. Maybe his cognitive abilities allow him to process tasks a lot quicker. Maybe he can cut through all the peripheral stuff and hone in on the important bits.

In any event, I will drive the Tesla tomorrow and I am going to multitask/taskswitch whatever floats your boat. foot controlling the pedal, while operating the steering wheel and at times the stalk, while keeping eyes on the road ahead, the cars beside me and behind me and on the screen inside the car, the the speed limit the actual speed and the max speed setting, and on the windscreen in case the wipers don't work, and remembering to jiggle the steering wheel, while listening to a podcast and drinking a coffee while I at it.

Last edited:
I prefer Bjorn Nyland’s content, quirks and all, compared to Kyle. Although they do similar tests, Bjorn’s channel is more customer oriented & covers EVs that are more available here (Tesla, BYD etc)
Yeah agreed but here in oz is so different than to over in Norway Tesla super charger pricing is really competitive in Norway not the case here. His 1000km challenges are great combing charging speed and efficiency together in a single real test.

Reactions: SPadival
I'll be sure to let CDF and all other defence forces world wide know that we are doing it wrong because random on internet says so.

It’s not a “random on the internet” but what science has proved (“The research is almost unanimous, which is very rare in social science”). The article I quoted is but one of many that conclude the same thing. I can post a long list of references if you are genuinely interested.

Also did you miss the bit where they showed that people who rate themselves as good at multitasking actually aren’t?

That’s why we have science - to objectively measure and quantitatively analyse phenomena, rather than rely on self-belief, gut-feel and perceptions. It’s how climate change was proved, despite many people thinking that their own perception of the climate in a small number of locations and over short timeframes is sufficient to disprove it. And yes, it’s entirely possible the CDF have been doing it wrong all this time, if they are ignoring relevant research.

The contractors who have been directly and materially affected by this are unlikely to be laughing this off as a “storm in a teacup”.

It’s not a “random on the internet” but what science has proved (“The research is almost unanimous, which is very rare in social science”). The article I quoted is but one of many that conclude the same thing. I can post a long list of references if you are genuinely interested.

Also did you miss the bit where they showed that people who rate themselves as good at multitasking actually aren’t?

That’s why we have science - to objectively measure and quantitatively analyse phenomena, rather than rely on self-belief, gut-feel and perceptions. It’s how climate change was proved, despite many people thinking that their own perception of the climate in a small number of locations and over short timeframes is sufficient to disprove it. And yes, it’s entirely possible the CDF have been doing it wrong all this time, if they are ignoring relevant research.

The contractors who have been directly and materially affected by this are unlikely to be laughing this off as a “storm in a teacup”.

The social science theories and technicalities are irrelevant to this discussion. We are talking real life experience and examples that any reasonable person would label “multitasking” and how they relate to Musk, not writing a psychological research paper.

In the example of the jet at 200ft, 600kts in formation at night, there are at least a dozen mission critical functions which are being carried out simultaneously by the one dude in the cockpit, 4 or 5 of which will kill him in less than a second if they are missed.

Yes, some of those are passive/cerebral and truly being conducted simultaneously while some are active/physical tasks that are cycled through in fractions of a second on a continual basis. To any reasonable person they are all examples of multitasking.

There is a reason we are screened before entering such roles both psychologically and physically for the ability to multitask and I would suggest that this is not even remotely one of the toughest metrics that knock people out of the running, suggesting that most people have the ability to various degrees, while some certainly thrive in such environments.

This is a rather extreme example to make the point, however as @Quickst pointed out above almost every person engages in levels of multitasking every single day. Even in current more strategic roles far removed from flying as I am today, I still am constantly multitasking as that is where I am most productive and looking back on my career both in private sectors and military that has always been the case.

Bringing it back to the topic from the irrelevant and extreme technical dissection of the word multitasking, it is very clear that Musk certainly falls into this category of high performing individual who works better when conducting multiple tasks. You’ve only got to look at his history with SpaceX still in the fledging stage, crashing rockets left and right, while he was turning around the actual train wreck that Tesla was at the time simultaneously along with a number of other tasks that would swamp the average person.

Is he perfect? Hell no. He’s clearly on the spectrum, a fact that is completely blown out of proportion though by commentators and the smarter than Elon crowd. If you look at the moves he has made, they often do look random when viewed in the single dimension of the four dimensional chess board, based on only a small part of the picture, massively obscured by rumour and innuendo largely perpetrated by vested interests and those who think it’s fashionable to play to the smarter than Elon disease.

In the cases where the complete picture eventually emerges and all the smoke clears though, those ‘random moves’ actually turn out to be extremely strategic plays where he was 6 or 7 steps ahead of everyone else. Despite this happening time and time again the same crowd always bleat off and make fools of themselves based on the 1% of the board they think they see through the haze of all the BS and FUD.

To suggest that there is anyone better to lead Tesla at this point is complete lunacy. He is precisely the unique ‘wartime CEO’ needed to achieve the mission they have set out to achieve. A paper pushing ‘conventional’ CEO would be more likely to lead Tesla to fall into the history books at this point, certainly I would give zero chance at achieving any of the goals they have set.

Would I want to work for him? At this stage in my life, almost certainly not, at least at executive levels. He clearly works at an extreme level of high energy and expects the same, I’m no psychologist but I would say that this is not sustainable long term. Going back to my example there is also a reason it’s very rare to have more than 4 or 5 years at a time in an operational fighter squadron. Simplifying things a little here, but there is such a thing as a ‘shelf life’ for individuals in extremely high performance roles and there are advantages to constantly bringing new blood in. I’m very surprised that some of the recent executive level departures were able to perform at those levels for so long.

While at an individual level this is something that is not sustainable, at the mission and company level as has been proven time and time again this is the only way they continue to move at the pace they have and the only way they would ever stand a chance of achieving the goals and mission they have set out to achieve in this lifetime.