Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pet Liner Modifications (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dronus

Stealth Gray Rulez
Supporting Member
Aug 31, 2023
Adelaide
So I’ve been using the Tesla Pet liner in the Model3 for a while now which looks great and the dog seems to love it.

One part of it that I’m not so keen on is that the side parts which protect the side of the seats is often exposed after the dog (BlueHeeler) jumps in. I’m paranoid of scratching the seat or him putting a nail thru it.

Even if I tuck the material in, it pops back out, so here is how I fixed it. Note that I do have sill protectors fitted, it does feel like there is another lip under the seat you can use in the below process.

The problem:

IMG_0383.jpeg
IMG_0384.jpeg

The solution:

The pet liner has an edging around it with a hollow void. I used some 2.7mm whipper snipper line, you might get away with 3mm but it will be tight.

Measuring it up:
IMG_0387.jpeg

Now, I made an incision using a sharp knife on the back of the tubing. I did this about 10cm or so back from the end so that the line can’t pop back out

IMG_0388.jpeg

If you make sure that the end of the line doesn’t have any dags you can feed it inside the void.

When you get most of it in, double it back into itself to feed it the other way.

IMG_0389.jpeg

Then feed that line in and smooth it all over. You could put some superglue or something there but I didn’t bother.

IMG_0390.jpeg

Now, under the sill guards is a lip, so feed the line up under it and it seems to clip in. There is also a lip under the seat if you don’t have the sill guards but I haven’t tested that.

IMG_0391.jpeg

Happy dog, happy owner!

IMG_0392.jpeg

Any questions or suggestions feel free to comment below!

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Anyone worked out a way to stop the door protectors falling off frequently, especially when closing the rear door as the glass moves up? They drive me crazy, seems like poor design.

Reactions: dronus
Very good hack Dronus! Who's sill guards are those, and is that the dog protector sold by Tesla or third party?
It's that one.

Very good hack Dronus! Who's sill guards are those, and is that the dog protector sold by Tesla or third party?

Do you worry about the effect of blocking the rear aircon outlets? Or that dogz can't watch TV any more?
Yes, the pet liner is the one from the Tesla store.

There is mesh where the aircond outlet is so the air goes straight thru :) the dog can also watch YouTube haha.

Reactions: Leconte
There are a few sill protectors available now both on eBay and aliexpress. They just Velcro down to the carpet. I have found these to be excellent covering up the carpet that is there and should be even better as winter approaches if it ever rains here.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Anyone worked out a way to stop the door protectors falling off frequently, especially when closing the rear door as the glass moves up? They drive me crazy, seems like poor design.
How old is your pet liner?
My door protectors have pretty long soft plastic tabs on them.
I have read that people have had them fall out but mine have been staying put.

Reactions: m4rtin and BitJam
How old is your pet liner?
My door protectors have pretty long soft plastic tabs on them.
I have read that people have had them fall out but mine have been staying put.
November 2021 I bought it, I don't use it too often so it's not worn or anything.
The plastic tabs that go down next to the glass are maybe 4cm long. When the door closes and the glass moves up they just seem to come out more often than not.

Wondering if anyone that did have them falling out has worked out a way to make them stop.

November 2021 I bought it, I don't use it too often so it's not worn or anything.
The plastic tabs that go down next to the glass are maybe 4cm long. When the door closes and the glass moves up they just seem to come out more often than not.

Wondering if anyone that did have them falling out has worked out a way to make them stop.
The front tabs on mine seen to work their way upwards over time, but the rear tabs seem to be pretty good at staying put. I've just got myself into the habit of pushing the front tabs down regularly, I reckon about once a week or if I notice. I've never had the whole for cover come loose.

So I’ve been using the Tesla Pet liner in the Model3 for a while now which looks great and the dog seems to love it.

One part of it that I’m not so keen on is that the side parts which protect the side of the seats is often exposed after the dog (BlueHeeler) jumps in. I’m paranoid of scratching the seat or him putting a nail thru it.

Even if I tuck the material in, it pops back out, so here is how I fixed it. Note that I do have sill protectors fitted, it does feel like there is another lip under the seat you can use in the below process.

The problem:

View attachment 1044423View attachment 1044424

The solution:

The pet liner has an edging around it with a hollow void. I used some 2.7mm whipper snipper line, you might get away with 3mm but it will be tight.

Measuring it up:
View attachment 1044426

Now, I made an incision using a sharp knife on the back of the tubing. I did this about 10cm or so back from the end so that the line can’t pop back out

View attachment 1044428

If you make sure that the end of the line doesn’t have any dags you can feed it inside the void.

When you get most of it in, double it back into itself to feed it the other way.

View attachment 1044429

Then feed that line in and smooth it all over. You could put some superglue or something there but I didn’t bother.

View attachment 1044431

Now, under the sill guards is a lip, so feed the line up under it and it seems to clip in. There is also a lip under the seat if you don’t have the sill guards but I haven’t tested that.

View attachment 1044432

Happy dog, happy owner!

View attachment 1044433

Any questions or suggestions feel free to comment below!
Regal-looking dog. Seems at home in the M3