Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how long ago did you try it?

Definitely don't find it aggressive myself
This year- probably back in Jan24. When I say “aggressive” on the change I meant too fast for my liking. On a freeway at 115km with no other cars near, you don’t need to turn the wheel into the lane change so it’s over in seconds which is what I feel it does. I like a gentle drift across into the lane - so you’re not turning into the lane as such. Each to their own on that one for sure.

I have found the cancels downright freaky. On one occasion on Hindmarsh drive it almost put me on collision course with another car on its way to take the gap I was making. It was avoiding nothing by cancelling - not even a shadow. The lane was totally clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Have you sent in a bug report? I did that when a section of road made my autopilot go crazy.
To report a bug press the microphone button and say “report a bug”
Just FYI saying "report a bug" or "bug report" does not actually report anything to anyone. What it actually does is it puts a marker inside the car logs at the time when you said it with a comment of whatever you said after it. If you then open a service ticket with Tesla and mention that you did the bug report at the time of issue, only then they will access the logs and check it.

Yes, indeed. You can even check for updates over cellular while driving. Like I used to do... every day... until I got over it.

Does car wash mode disable the auto-boot?

Or locking the car manually via the phone?
In regards to the boot and the car being locked, the boot still opens if the car is locked, when you close it via the button it makes the lock sound.

I found a bug today and have been trying to replicate it.

With the car unlocked (not sure if it matters) I was walking past the back of the car with my phone in my pocket.
Sometimes it would beep once, sometimes twice as I kept moving.
On two occasions, after it had beeped twice, the next time I walked past it only beeped once and opened.

I was suprised and closed it again by pressing the button on the boot.

As soon as the boot closed the goat screamed and the car locked. The dog ran around the other side of the house.

When it works best is on the open freeway which is where I feel you need it least.
Wow, that's where I use (and enjoy) it most!

Watching the cars in front of me touch ripple strips, drive over centre lines, move about in their lane. and speed up and down continuously, gives me the understanding why some people claim it can be 'a better driver' than humans.

I almost never use the Autosteer of EAP and just TACC.

Each to their own I guess. I use it 80%+ of the time since I got the car in 2019. Around town. On freeways. Any stretch I know it can handle. 160k kms of experience.

Watching the cars in front of me touch ripple strips, drive over centre lines, move about in their lane. and speed up and down continuously, gives me the understanding why some people claim it can be 'a better driver' than humans.
This 100% it really is amazing sitting back and watching how badly most drive.

And agree also AP is fantastic for long trips and make them MUCH safer

Reactions: OzVic
Wow, that's where I use (and enjoy) it most!

Each to their own I guess. I use it 80%+ of the time since I got the car in 2019. Around town. On freeways. Any stretch I know it can handle. 160k kms of experience.
Ohh cool good to hear. I’m trying to hold out for vision auto park to be available to drop the 5k burning a hole in my pocket for EAP but it sounds like it might be useful on my highway commutes too

Ohh cool good to hear. I’m trying to hold out for vision auto park to be available to drop the 5k burning a hole in my pocket for EAP but it sounds like it might be useful on my highway commutes too

I admit 'FSD' or 'Enhanced Autopilot' (I guess, I have FSD) has basically been 95% (success rate) of changing lane left to right and 30% (success rate) of moving right to left. Auto-park and summon up until now have just been gimmicks. Hopefully soon they will be much more useful.

Right to left lane changes have bugged me for 4+ years with no improvement. Bring on the neural nets!

I admit 'FSD' or 'Enhanced Autopilot' (I guess, I have FSD) has basically been 95% (success rate) of changing lane left to right and 30% (success rate) of moving right to left. Auto-park and summon up until now have just been gimmicks. Hopefully soon they will be much more useful.

Right to left lane changes have bugged me for 4+ years with no improvement. Bring on the neural nets!
There is some problem with the asymmetry. I find it very-very weird it wants to cross the centreline specifically in left curves, which is most dangerous because oncoming traffic cuts the curve and also crosses the centreline. Why nothing like this happening for the right curves?.. Also, if I drop the speed to 80kmh instead of 100kmh, it makes it a lot smoother, like it doesn't have enough computational power to process those videos at 100kmh.

With all this I am absolutely not convinced I want to spend 5-10k on EAP or FSD, because the thing I have a problem with is basic and needs to be fixed first.

Re autosteer on motorways and long trips - it is almost like shinkansen! You just sit and watch the landscape passing by, occasionally touching the steering wheel. Great thing, absolutely.

@Sir Surfalot

You asked previously on another forum about pixels in the adaptive headlights changing in update 2024.8.x negatively affecting the forward right vision on low beam.

I happened to be on 2024.2.7 up until today and I just updated to 2024.14.3. (I skipped 2024.8.x)

I made the point of parking the car in front of my garage door this afternoon and took photos of the headlight beams before and after the update. I didn't move the car between shots, so the only difference is my hand holding of the phone camera and slightly lower light levels after the update in the late afternoon.

To enable high beam I pulled the stalk. This is slightly different from normal high beam which raises the beam angle with a servo actuator, but no difference in the pixels.

Tesla Headlights.jpeg

I learned a few things conducting this test:

1. There is no change from 2024.2.7 to 2024.14.3
2. I need to gurney my garage door
3. I read somewhere a while ago that there are 103 pixels per headlight. It's pretty obvious from the images that the matrix is only 4 pixels vertical, so there must be 25-ish pixels horizontally in each headlight.

Last edited:
I admit 'FSD' or 'Enhanced Autopilot' (I guess, I have FSD) has basically been 95% (success rate) of changing lane left to right and 30%
30%??? Seriously if you are getting less than 90% success on a wide range of roads (that meet the specifications the system is designed for) I would be booking a service call.

Certainly if you are using it on the same roads repeatedly where you know there's an issue and/or where it's not designed to operate with the versions we have here, then I could understand such a bad result.

For the CBR - BNE - CBR and CBR -SYD - CBR routes I do, I've never had a lane change issue apart from some user error generated ones in an older M3 with stalks on my first drive using the system.

Same with using it on major roads around Canberra.

For the whole lap of CBR MEL ADL CBR the only time I experienced the issue was the right to left a couple times only on the Hume heading south from CBR (and the reason for those became very obvious looking at the camber of the road, so I would avoid trying it in those sections in future)

The only other issue with lane changes that whole trip was single undivided passing lanes which I discovered is a limitation imposed here but it doesn't even attempt those just tells you auto lane change unavailable.

I would put the success rate based on wide ranges of roads where the system is designed to operate at close to 100% for left to right and 98% right to left.

Remember that the versions we are using here are light years behind what you might see operating in the US. For that reason I'd be very careful using it on areas it is not designed to be used here. We don't have anything close to the 'go anywhere and handle almost any situation' software here.

Last edited:
1. There is no change from 2024.2.7 to 2024.14.3
Thanks. It’s pretty clearly different on 2024.8.9 on my car at least (ie a missing “block” kind of directly in front of the driver out at the end of the light throw that wasn’t there a month ago), so that puts it down to either a change they made that has tripped-up the not-enabled-in-my-car adaptive lights code OR one of those pixel blocks has failed on my right headlight around the same time - high beams seem ok though. It’s raining too hard to repeat your photography on my rollerdoor now and it will be light by the time I get back from the beach but I will try to make a photo to show you - unfortunately I don’t have a “before” one.

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
Following myself up on this, I managed to get a fairly ok photo through the windscreen of the low beams pointing at my roller door earlier this morning (firmware 2024.8.9, 2021 Model 3 LR MiC (first batch of them)).

I have circled the "missing" bit of low beam which wasn't missing before. See from the horizontal fold lines in the roller door how that circled section is lower than the part to the right of the highest part of the right hand headlight - previously both to the right and left of that highest middle part were the same height (ie it now goes low-high-medium when looking left to right on the right headlight, previously it went medium-high-medium).

IMG_2380.jpeg

Certainly if you are using it on the same roads repeatedly where you know there's an issue and/or where it's not designed to operate with the versions we have here, then I could understand such a bad result.
It's good that you have included SYD-CBR-SYD as an example, as that is unquestionably the sort of road nobody can say "you are holding it wrongg" when it doesn't work. For my car, and as recently as last Wednesday (on firmware 2024.8.9), I still had an asymmetrical success vs failure rate with auto lane changes on that exact road that @OzVic also describes. That is nearly 100% success on left-to-right, and significantly lower success rate right-to-left (where it either didn't change lanes at all, or - worse - got 1/2 way across and chickened-out suddenly back to the starting lane).

I bought EAP two years ago when it was first made available (again, it had been previously available intermittently before my time) after I bought my car 3 years ago. For the first couple of months auto lane change was pretty good, or at least its success vs failure rate on actually changing lanes was about the same in either direction. I wouldn't have bought EAP otherwise - that was really the only feature I bought it for. THEN a firmware update happened (I can't remember if it was the one they disabled radar in radar-equipped cars like mine, but certainly one where they made significant changes to the TACC/Autosteer/EAP/FSD/etc functionality in the car) and since then it has been as it is now for me - and for several other people in this forum and the Whirlpool one too.

I admit 'FSD' or 'Enhanced Autopilot' (I guess, I have FSD) has basically been 95% (success rate) of changing lane left to right and 30% (success rate) of moving right to left

That is nearly 100% success on left-to-right, and significantly lower success rate right-to-left (where it either didn't change lanes at all, or - worse - got 1/2 way across and chickened-out suddenly back to the starting lane).
From my experience, during the day it's all about the particular road. The highways I spend most of my time on yield at least 95% success rate of auto-lane-changes (some days 100%), expect for a couple of sections which it just doesn't like for reasons that I've never worked out. There is nothing obviously "wrong" (to me) with the road in these sections - it's not that the lane markings have disappeared or excessive camber or curves - it just doesn't like those spots.

At night time (or more correctly, in the dark), I find the success rate drops off to maybe 80-90%, particularly when the road is not lit up by the headlights of following traffic.

Unlike others' experiences, I haven't really noticed a difference in L-R vs R-L success rate (although it may be true, I just haven't noticed).

I kept a tally for 2 days a while ago, and these were the results:
Day 1: day-time 29/29 success, returning at night-time 9/11 success
Day 2: day-time 21/22 success, returning at night-time 11/15 success
There were less lane changes during the night-time trips returning home due to less traffic on the road.

Is the check to see latest software version availability in the car rate limited or something now?
I used to be able to switch from the Software tab and back again and it would check again, that doesn't seem to happen now.
This sometimes revealed a pending update for me previously.

Is the check to see latest software version availability in the car rate limited or something now?
I used to be able to switch from the Software tab and back again and it would check again, that doesn't seem to happen now.
This sometimes revealed a pending update for me previously.
It has been rate-limited to once every 24 hours for a year or two now.

Reactions: m4rtin
I bought EAP two years ago when it was first made available
So have they made it anymore useful here?

I had the trial last year but couldn’t see 5k value

Lane change is the big one
Navigate on autopilot , seems useless in AU we don’t really have a million interconnecting highways
Auto park I didn’t trust enough, maybe it’s better?
Summon and smart summon, same thing, would need to be a lot better