Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla still doesn't know about the Rozelle Interchange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Rozelle Interchange in Sydney opened on 26 November 2023, and I'm now typing this in May 2024, half a year later. While you can see the tunnels on the map, Tesla still doesn't know how to drive through them: every time I do, navigation freaks out and repeatedly tells me to turn left/right through the tunnel wall into surface streets, and I can't use TACC/Autosteer either because it's getting the wrong speed limits from those surface roads, not the tunnel.

Is everybody else in the same boat, and if yes, is there any way to direct feedback to Tesla about this? Driving a Model 3 with the latest update.

The Rozelle Interchange in Sydney opened on 26 November 2023, and I'm now typing this in May 2024, half a year later. While you can see the tunnels on the map, Tesla still doesn't know how to drive through them: every time I do, navigation freaks out and repeatedly tells me to turn left/right through the tunnel wall into surface streets, and I can't use TACC/Autosteer either because it's getting the wrong speed limits from those surface roads, not the tunnel.

Is everybody else in the same boat, and if yes, is there any way to direct feedback to Tesla about this? Driving a Model 3 with the latest update.
Due to the news about traffic, I have assigned the Rozelle interchange as a "no go" area, but if the behaviour is like the north connex on Tuesday, there is a problem with "GPS drift".

In other words, you eventually get far enough away from the maps idea of where the tunnel is that the car will think you are now on the surface. I was southbound, and it wanted me to do a u-turn on a surface street just before emerging from the end of the tunnel!

The other part is whether the Tom-Tom maps were updated before the snapshot was taken for the current nav version. As I don't drive that area, I don't know if things are up-to-date. (I recently updated the recent New England/Golden Highway interchange, so that should be on the next nav map update)

Reactions: dronus

Yes everyone is in the same boat. At least now the Tesla Nav knows that heading eastbound on the CWL you can turn left onto Victoria Rd, instead of it sending you across the Anzac Bridge and telling you to do a U-turn in Pyrmont. It did that for about a year but it finally got fixed in February.

But inside the tunnels, yeah it is hopeless. It has no idea where you are. A few months ago I had a somewhat terrifying incident where TACC freaked out and thought I was about to slam into a T-intersection on the surface road at speed, and it hit the brakes hard. Luckily the tunnel was mostly empty when it happened.

There is no solution other than to turn TACC off once you enter.

Reactions: Maximillan
you eventually get far enough away from the maps idea of where the tunnel is that the car will think you are now on the surface. I was southbound, and it wanted me to do a u-turn on a surface street just before emerging from the end of the tunnel!

On most tunnels in Sydney I’ve found the Nav seems to learn over time, because even with GPS drift, it guesses you are still in the tunnel. For most of the M1, M4, M5, M8 and M11 tunnels there are no other tunnels nearby, so that mostly works.

But that doesn’t work in the Rozelle interchange, where there are so many tunnels close to each other and cross-crossing each other that there is no way the Nav can be certain as to which tunnel branch you are actually in.

There would need to be 3D-GPS repeaters throughout the interchange to work it out.

On most tunnels in Sydney I’ve found the Nav seems to learn over time, because even with GPS drift, it guesses you are still in the tunnel. For most of the M1, M4, M5, M8 and M11 tunnels there are no other tunnels nearby, so that mostly works.

But that doesn’t work in the Rozelle interchange, where there are so many tunnels close to each other and cross-crossing each other that there is no way the Nav can be certain as to which tunnel branch you are actually in.

There would need to be 3D-GPS repeaters throughout the interchange to work it out.
Or use Bluetooth beacons, as Waze & Google does.

(Repeating GPS signals is illegal in Australia)