Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think coming into 2023 we were pretty sure the Model Y would qualify for the full $7,500 and Model 3 would get $3,750. After the last minute shuffle Model 3 got $7,500 and no Model Ys qualified. A fair number of people bought Model Ys and didn’t get any credit when they should have, Tesla lost sales. I’m not even sure how it all played out.

Is the new ruling retroactive? It’s amateur hour at the IRS. Awe inspiring that our trusted and much loved government (/s) has exhibited so much incompetence in such a short time.
EPA style classifications are retroactive to Jan 1.
Due to the critical minerals requirement, until the December update with March extension, Y/3 would be $3,750 off, unless LFP, then $0. At least probably, we'll see in March.

At $1.2M USD per Megapack, that's $12B USD per year.

Recent prices for Megapack 2XL (new product from Lathrop Megafactory)

"They are sold by modules: the smallest individual module can store up to 3.9 MWh of energy and has up to 1.9 MW of power. Including the cost of installation, Tesla is asking just over $2.5 million for a single Megapack unit."​

FYI, I've decided to mainly use Twitter for the foreseeable future vs using this thread and @adiggs "be the house" thread, largely due to trolls and other difficult posters. I've had to ignore so many that it hurts.

I'll come here from time to time, but it is just not the place that makes me feel more informed and well rounded moreso than my Twitter feed.

Thank you for so much discord over the years and I wish all well!
What’s your Twitter handle?

It will be very interesting to get some public statements from a juror or two, who were
difficult to read because masks were mandatory in court. All I really have to show for
it now are my samizdat paparazzi fotos, but I'm not supposed to talk about that here.
Have a good weekend.

Hey it’s the weekend and this thread becomes a lot looser after a few drinks and no stock ticker to look at. So, throw back a few, post those photos and tell us what you thought of the trial! I for one want to hear it all!

IIRC the big dip in 2019 was in large part because of one particular fund with a very large holding liquidating, and also because other Wall St. funds were boneheads who couldn’t see Tesla’s value like we did.

So in a sense, you got lucky that 2019 dip happened or you would have REALLY missed out.

I'm not a fan of attributing big moves mostly to one whale or one big fund. That's not how the market works unless you're dealing with penny stocks, yet people love to construct realities they think explain what they are seeing. It's like personifying a storm, it gives them something to relate to.

The big dip of 2019 was most certainly caused by unprecedented Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, big funds (plural) selling, retail selling, and the popular narrative, as well as the share price, continued to spiral down after I had already decided to build a large position. My thinking was moving opposite the market's thinking because I try not to listen to the noise. I was dollar cost averaging in small bites in early 2019 after it went under $300 ($20, split adj.). I think I even have a few hundred shares from a couple of buys in late 2018 around $320.

But as the bear narrative took stronger hold, and the price continued to decline, I developed new resolve to be more patient with my dollar cost averaging, even as I saw Tesla was actually strengthening as a company. I was watching the market every day ready to pounce so I wouldn't miss out, but it kept going down through the first 5 months of 2019. I think I made some more buys in January and March, $260-$280 range. All my recently purchased Tesla shares were underwater, but I still had more dry powder and wanted to make it count. I made another couple of buys in the $220's, probably in late April/early May, and then on June 4th I saw what was, at the least, a minor reversal. I decided that continuing to watch TSLA like a hawk was a waste of time and I would go all in at $184. I didn't care if it went lower as the value was already such a screaming buy I didn't want to risk dollar cost averaging on the way up, so I immediately doubled my position. This was immediately after it reversed from $179.

The dip of 2019 was very fortunate in that it allowed me to acquire more shares with the same amount of money than if it had never dropped below $300, but I would not have REALLY missed out had it not occurred. Because I had already decided TSLA met my investment criteria and it was just a matter of efficiently building a position in what was already a favorable price range. Not really lucky, just a scenario when patience paid off. And I thank all the TSLAQ types, big oil and legacy auto for bringing all the FUD to a deafening crescendo in the first half of 2019. I probably acquired 40%-60% more shares than had it not dipped.

I will add that I don't normally wait as long as I did to build a position, but this was kind of a special scenario in that the price has already fallen from a brief high of $400 plus, if I recall, and the downward momentum, combined with the deafening FUD created a strong incentive to be patient. Even then, it surprised me when it broke $200. I don't believe in waiting for a climbing stock to correct before building a position, but it often pays to be patient when a stock is declining. But I never set a specific buy price target below the current market price because I'm not a value investor and it might not ever get there; I simply watch it and remain ready to buy if I've already identified it as a "keeper' and I see a possible change in momentum/direction. It still might be too early but it's often better than chasing it on the way up.

Elon’s lawyers made money.

I would assume the other side worked on contingency and get nothing?
Most modern class action lawsuits are created by lawyers who chase down litigants. So the “other side” is usually the legal team, not the individuals in the suit.

So whatever ambulance chasers managed to turn this into a class action took a bit of a hit. Lots of research, lots of “expert” testimony they had to pay for.

Well that sure was fast jury deliberation

The jury saw through the mainstream media's claim that this was a suit brought by shareholders. They saw it was just another attack by short-sellers and those who wanted Tesla to fail. The fact they only deliberated an hour is just one more example of Musk's ability to hire the right people and incentivize them to create success while the people on the other side of this case were flailing like Tesla's so-called competition.

People who hate Musk, hate how successful and capable he is and want to drag him down to their level, but he's generally so far ahead of them it's not even funny! So far you would need a telescope to even see him.

Cheers to all actual TSLA shareholders!

But, But everyone said it was an uphill battle. Sure to lose.

Elon Musk trial: Prospective jurors call him narcissistic, smart
....Legal experts said they believe it will be a difficult case for Mr Musk to win, and that the fine he paid to the SEC will be used against him in the case

...Several legal experts believe that Musk will lose and that the only outstanding question is how much he’ll have to pay in damages. Speaking to Ars Technica, Law professor Robert Miller 7of the University of Iowa College of Law said “Elon’s going to lose, and he’s going to lose for a significant amount. We’re just talking about exactly how much, will Musk have to pay, and how much of the inflation and deflation is attributable to the fraud.”..

I take much joy in thinking about how many “journalists” have to scrap their premature “guilty” articles.

thatsnoneofmy.jpg

FYI, I've decided to mainly use Twitter for the foreseeable future vs using this thread and @adiggs "be the house" thread, largely due to trolls and other difficult posters. I've had to ignore so many that it hurts.

I'll come here from time to time, but it is just not the place that makes me feel more informed and well rounded moreso than my Twitter feed.

Thank you for so much discord over the years and I wish all well!
Sorry to hear that but I understand your reasoning. You will be missed Mate, but we'll look for you on the blue Bird!