Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Potential problem with a Biden Presidency as it pertains to Tesla fsd. Apparently his Transportation secretary will either be the Mayor of L.A. or Beth Osborne.
Osborne is not a fan of fsd, to say the least. She also trolled GM for it's ev hummer because driver can't see pedestrians (cameras probably solve that issue) her Twitter reminds me of Dana Hull's. She wants a lot more rail transportation and is on the side of bicycles/pedestrians over cars. Forget about the boring company o_O Beth Osborne - Transportation For America and here's her Twitter https://twitter.com/BethOsborneT4A?s=09 she believes all the clickbait articles. But is also against oil and wants a fast transition to ev's. I believe legacy auto will not like this pick, if she's chosen.
What else might she Osborne?

• Funny
Reactions: Dreadnought
Garcetti is aiming for a higher cabinet position. Here's an interesting tweet that has a link to a pdf file (potential cabinet position picks) https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1321960103814324234?s=19

That list appears to be outdated (October 21)

A newer list (October 29), also from Politico, has Garcetti, Osborne and one other person listed as potential candidates for Dept. of Transportation, and Garcetti is not listed for Justice: Warren wants Treasury, but who does Biden want?

EliaPRsVcAE8Pjh

EliaPRvUcAAd5mD

Last edited:
How does FSD know it is safe to turn onto high speed two lane roads? Humans turn our heads and look far down the road in both directions while judging the speed of any oncoming cars. FSD does not seem capable of looking far enough right and left to make the safe call. What am I missing?
Can you elaborate what you mean with look far down the road and why a computer cannot do that? A camera can look at the sun at that is pretty far away... If the neural network can detect an approaching vehicle from a video feed is another question, but my guess is that it will be much better at that task than a human anotator can do from camera images.

How does FSD know it is safe to turn onto high speed two lane roads? Humans turn our heads and look far down the road in both directions while judging the speed of any oncoming cars. FSD does not seem capable of looking far enough right and left to make the safe call. What am I missing?

This is likely the main function of the cameras mounted on the B pillars. If you think about it very close to the position of your head in a car without the obstruction of the pillars themselves.

I am sure with the 8 camera's they have 360 degree coverage, better than a human.

Can you elaborate what you mean with look far down the road and why a computer cannot do that? A camera can look at the sun at that is pretty far away... If the neural network can detect an approaching vehicle from a video feed is another question, but my guess is that it will be much better at that task than a human anotator can do from camera images.
It's about the placement of the B pillar cameras. A few times, I have to lean forward and look out of the window to see cross traffic. At these times, I am closer to the A pillar. I wish these side looking cameras were on the A pillar instead. Conversely, I feel the current placement is better when the car is trying to back up. They must have done some analysis around this.

I wonder how this works in the Cybertruck which is a lot longer.

Based on what evidence? There are side-facing cameras that can look both directions simultaneously, which you cannot do.

Reactions: Queeg500
Do we really believe that Tesla’s engineers don’t know where the cameras need to be?
You think nobody at all ever asked them if they were sure they could see traffic approaching from the sides?
If they got it wrong, they’ve had 4 years to spot the error and move them.
Honestly, some of the posts on here about where and why FSD can’t work are hilarious.

I'm very sorry I'm 1/2 Norge on my Mother's side (her parents were born there [Folvik]) and I still confused Sweden with Denmark: PM Mette Frederiksen since 27 June 2019 and yes, I googled that! :p I first visited the Nordic countries in 1966 for 3 weeks when I was 7, so there is no excuse for my ignorance!

PS. My mom (87 drives, skis and plays golf I hope to be like her!) plans to accompany us to Norway after Covid so my son can meet many of his relatives there.
Not to be harsh, but maybe you should join Facebook where all these personal info posts would be appropriate.

Do we really believe that Tesla’s engineers don’t know where the cameras need to be? You think nobody at all ever asked them if they were sure they could see traffic approaching from the sides?
If they got it wrong, they’ve had 4 years to spot the error and move them.
Honestly, some of the posts on here about where and why FSD can’t work are hilarious.

Well, check out the linked FSD video from 1:02 to 1:13. The fence on the right blocks the B pillar view to the cars approaching from the right. The fish eye lens can't see far enough to the right. The only solution for the car is to push the front of the car to the road to see the approaching cars which will freak out a) the Tesla driver (who sees the approaching cars before the B pillar camera) and b) the drivers approaching from the right.

If the street is narrow and one-way (like in the linked example), the front end of the car may actually block the approaching traffic before the B pillar camera has an adequate field of vision. Having the camera (or an additional camera) placed further forward would solve this.

This is the main concern for me regarding camera placement.

https://twitter.com/kimpaquette/status/1322532524787175424?s=21

Last edited:
Looks like CALLs were the hot commodity yesterday. Look at those $480 strikes I have had my mouse hanging over in each screen grab. Funny how I knew they would end the PUT bulge with a large sell of CALLs at that price. The MMs already have those shares so they are going to sell the strike in both directions and profit on the fees and premiums.

Tuesdays which you should recognize from yesterdays post....
View attachment 603139

Today OI which remember shows the work of yesterdays trading.
View attachment 603140
CALLs gone wild day yesterday. Everyone must have been feeling bullish... boy that mood changed this morning for everyone with a few articles mentioning revenue guidance of assorted choice picked companies. It seems too contrived. I never understood the drop when an article mentions a few companies forecasting lower revenue forecasts because all companies drop, even those that are showing, forecasting, and proven revenue growth. It always sounds like a setup so the funds can buy more shares at lower prices.... back to TSLA option moves...

Note the $420 increase in CALL activity. I bet they are selling lots of those this morning. This is where I keep saying max pain changes daily. While I mentioned $425 the other day, I bet they move it under $420 after today. This market drop is too perfect. They will probably be able to round out those lower end PUTs too. This is THEIR buying opportunity to get cheap shares to cover the $420 CALLs (and others) they plan on being in the money this Friday. Not that I will say it will surely be above that because Macros are in the pooper and Macros trump all. I think Friday is expected to have a higher SP... we shall see.

Those are my guesses for the day. Don't trade on anything mentioned here.
I wish I understood at least half of that. If anyone is interested in being my options mentor please pm me. For the record, I won’t take anything you say as advice.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and wtlloyd
Please everyone stop with politics and speculation. We all have copious sources for all this. This forum is NOT the place.
The Mods must be losing their minds over all this drivel polluting our forum.

NOTE: I make no secret fo my political views. They do NOT belong here, whatever they are.

Every sane human understands the consequences of this US election for renewables in general, BEV's included. We have zero need to repeat this even with reference to potential hypothetical cabinet selections.

STOP PLEASE!!!

Instead of adding or moving cameras couldn't Tesla just include a drone that sits in the frunk and before every intersection it flies out and checks every direction from above before the car gets there? Could even be safe to ignore stopsigns then. Or it could even just fly along with you while in town and when you get to the freeway it comes back and lands in the frunk.

Can someone tweet Elon? I'd bet he didn't think of this.

Re looking far down the road. My emphasis is on FAR. The range of camera coverage shown on the Tesla website FSD page does not appear to look far enough right and left. Perhaps this is not representative of the actual view.

The effective range of a camera depends on its resolution and the size of the distant object. So Tesla's range specification for their forward-looking side cameras (80 meters) is somewhat arbitrary. The camera can see mountains miles away but not birds on the mountain.

Cars and trucks are pretty big objects, so I assume they show up on a few camera pixels even when far away. And I assume Tesla's neural net can learn to recognize when a few pixels are growing fast on a distant road.