Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
InsideEVs - 1.5 hours ago: Tesla Model Y Spotted Driving With Strange Sensor Rack Up Top

Excerpt:

These videos and images raise a whole lot of questions. What is this rack? Will Tesla's Full Self-Driving vehicles have additional equipment and sensors? Will Tesla actually use LiIDAR? Is this specific to future Robotaxis?

While it could be anything really, and may certainly be related to Tesla's Full Self-Driving capability, it could be as simple as a mapping or imaging excursion. However, it looks like there's LiDAR on the rack.

InsideEVs - 1.5 hours ago: Tesla Model Y Spotted Driving With Strange Sensor Rack Up Top

Excerpt:

These videos and images raise a whole lot of questions. What is this rack? Will Tesla's Full Self-Driving vehicles have additional equipment and sensors? Will Tesla actually use LiIDAR? Is this specific to future Robotaxis?

While it could be anything really, and may certainly be related to Tesla's Full Self-Driving capability, it could be as simple as a mapping or imaging excursion. However, it looks like there's LiDAR on the rack.

I would bet Starlink over LIDAR, just given how much we know Elon hates LIDAR.

Do you have FSD Beta? Have you watched the videos of FSD in snow? Seems to have little issue causing the car to slide and not react correctly. Specifically taking right hand turn to fast on snow packed road. Just saying until people know what they are doing with snow or FSD specifically handles snow packed roads differently just not allow FSD to be activated.
I expect FSD upgrades for snow, off road, and trailer modes someday soon. There are so many cashflow opportunities with software upgrades.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andy O and snyder

I think Elon's hate for LIDAR is limited to installation as part of a FSD option. He's probably fine with using it for testing applications, which these cars may be.

Probably gathering data to provide another perspective to evaluate the FSD in use.

One of the big ways I imagine Tesla generates demand is through butts in seats, a Tesla owner inviting someone for a ride. The Model Y being the new kid on the block probably has fine demand now, but could be better. But as volume of production goes up, I am sure Tesla continues to make sure the demand is good and healthy for the increased production. They will probably need much less effort in this area once people are able to give friends and family rides again. This is what I believe this move points toward in a minor type of way because demand is just fine.

Tesla's historical results along these lines is that the more cars sold in an area, the more demand for cars is created in that area. As long as Tesla in particular, and EVs in general are such a small fraction of the existing ICE car business, I expect this dynamic to continue.

Selling cars CREATEs demand - it doesn't satisfy demand.

You touched on what I think more important than the time element and that is an understanding of the company's dynamics. How may analysts over the years have either ignored or failed to comprehend the significance of developments and completely missed the projections that those of us here with an either a technical or financial background see as obvious.
Adam Jonas has even admitted he's clueless but still offers guidance. Isn't that some sort of felony as a professional that affects valuations?
I guess that since everyone knows Wall Street is basically crooked, he gets a free pass.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
My brokerage's newsfeed - 51 minutes ago:

Excerpt:

Top Zacks #1 Rank (STRONG BUY) Stocks

Tesla:Yes, the electric car maker is on our #1 list this week. That means the company’s annual forward EPS estimates are rising. This stock is priced to perfection, and then some. The stock’s 5 to 1 post-split price is an eye-watering $662. The market cap is $627B. I see an obvious Zacks Value score of F, coming along with a Zacks Growth score of A, and a Momentum score of B.

Zacks - today: The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Baidu, Tesla, General Motors, Ford and Volkswagen

Excerpt:

Tesla: Tesla is set to release its full self-driving (“FSD”) driver-assistance system as a subscription service in early 2021. Tesla cars are equipped with a standard Autopilot —a driver-assistance feature that can brake, accelerate and steer automatically. The FSD package, however, gives added capabilities that enable cars to self-park, change lanes, and recognize stop signs and traffic lights.

In October, Tesla launched the beta version of the long-awaited feature to some owners. Autopilot Hardware 3.0 is the latest upgrade to the company’s FSD hardware, which happened early last year, and it has all the components necessary for FSD features. Within this upgrade, Tesla began equipping its new vehicles with a new, custom-built computer designed for partially-autonomous and fully-autonomous driving. The new hardware enabled Tesla to demonstrate further progress toward full autonomy. The company plans to use Models S, X, 3 and Y as future robotaxis.

The company currently flaunts a Zacks Rank #1.

Last edited:
Do you have a source for that 10 kg lithium / 75 KWh battery? The number I found (I know, consider the source) was 63 kg lithium / 75 KWh Model S battery, which would equate to 1-2 million cars over 5 years or 200,000 - 400,000 cars per year.

Breakdown of raw materials in Tesla's batteries and possible bottlenecks - Electrek
The percentage changes with technological improvements. Any number based on a historical number is just a guess. And of course, you would have to trust Fred to be giving the correct numbers.

Doesn't look anything like a Starlink reciever but it looks an awful lot like this Lidar unit Luminar (Nasdaq: LAZR) | Products

upload_2020-12-29_12-43-23.png

https://twitter.com/youyouxue/status/1343608956501966848/photo/2

Watching a couple FSD beta videos this morning in snowy conditions. I dont think it is wise to release FSD to masses during winter unless they have confidence in snow driving or can detect snowy conditions and not allow FSD in those conditions.
Winter driving is one of the reasons why I'm certain FSD Beta won't be generally released soon. My guess is Q2 earliest.

If Tesla sells ONE more car in Norway this year it's the second best month ever. Beaten only by March 19 when most of the preordered model 3 were delivered.

They already have. Finally a decent amount of cars to Norway after starving us for months.

Dec 2020 3,785 cars - and the day is not yet over
Jun 2019 3,762 cars
Mar 2019 5,315 cars

Norway got 15,685 Model 3s in 2019, this year 6,968 so far. December really speed things up!

Source: Tesla Registration Stats

Excerpt:

Lidar has (supposedly) been used by Tesla for ground truthing camera data already a couple of years ago. I have been surprised that lidar sightings have been so rare since radar can only be used for ground truthing the front facing cameras.

Edit; JRP3 beat me by a few minutes.

Last edited: