Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shell buys European electric car charging firm ubitricity

Shell is buying the European electric vehicle charging company Ubitricity, the companies announced this morning without disclosing the deal's size.

Why it matters: Ubitricity says it is the largest charging public charging network in the UK, with over 2,700 charge points, and operates in several cities.
The big picture: Shell has made multiple moves in the EV charging space, in recent years acquiring NewMotion, which is also in Europe, and the U.S. company Greenlots.

Looks like Big Oil is trying to stay afloat in the EV business. Can you imagine pulling up to a EV charging station with Shell or Exxon on the Logo? :confused:
Isn't that like PETA buying a steakhouse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Death of diesel looms as carmakers accelerate to electric future
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-europe-diesel-idUSKBN29U1HI
PARIS (Reuters) - The world’s biggest diesel engine factory in Tremery, eastern France, is undergoing a radical overhaul - it’s switching to make electric motors.
Electric motors only have a fifth of the parts of a traditional diesel engine, putting a question mark over jobs.
Tremery’s owner Stellantis - newly created from the merger of Peugeot maker PSA and Fiat Chrysler to help tackle the industry changes - has said it won’t close factories and will seek to protect jobs.
The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, Britain’s car lobby group, expects 29 new fully-electric and seven plug-in hybrid models will be launched in the country this year, compared with 26 internal combustion engine models - only 14 of which will have diesel variants.

Okay, I listened to it. The whole thing. Pretty useless in my opinion. Dave seems to be desperately searching for some kind of magic that determines who gets rich on TSLA and who doesn't. But it isn't there to be found in individuals or anecdotes. He keeps asking: schooling? job? life experience? I'm surprised he didn't ask whether the guy's sex life was a factor. And, of course, Jason basically said he went with his gut and just knew Tesla had to succeed because the product was awesome. Just like many of the people here, past and present. And some get lucky and get rich, and some don't. And the fields of destitution are littered with those who were impressed by great products and put everything they had into businesses that went bust.

Jason's a guy who got excited about Tesla and put everything into it. He got unlucky in that it didn't go up when it should have, but was pretty much flat for years. He got lucky in that he stuck it out and was there for the 2020 boom in TSLA. He especially got lucky that the great product was being made by what's turning out to be a great business. There's really nothing to be learned from that. There are no doubt dozens of Jasons just at Google who did more or less the same thing and made little or nothing or lost their shirts. If Dave keeps at his search for a few decades, he'll discover it's all survivorship bias. That is if he interviews the other guys, the ones who lost, and discovers they give the same answers.

Me, I've lost a ton of money on TSLA over the years. And I've made a ton of money. Right now, things are very positive. But a year ago, things were very negative. I don't think I'm any different now, nor did I change anything significant about how I was betting on TSLA, nor is Tesla particularly different. All that's really different is that Tesla's last decade of hard work is turning it into an overnight success.;)

If Dave wants to find magic, he should seek out the people who got into TSLA last January or April. They're the ones who got the most bang for the buck out of Tesla's overnight success. And then he should watch for when they get out. Because there's absolutely no doubt from listening to Jason, that if TSLA goes down the tubes he'll go down with it.

Edit: I should note that I always find Dave's podcasts to be a waste of my time. He's clearly talking to a different audience. I most recently listened to him interview Rob Maurer and it was useless compared to any of Rob's podcasts.
@DaveT, don't let them make fun of your pony tail. When I first stumbled accross TMC, I found your posts to be knowledgeable and informative and one of the main reasons I decided to invest back in late 2012. You are a valued member of the TMC community and I love your all your podcasts. Keep up the great work. And many many thanks my friend.

PS. @DaveT, After watching your latest podcast with Jason, I bought another 280 shares at morning opening today out of my 25% cash out from late last year. That is what I thought of your latest podcast. Excellent.

Last edited:
Death of diesel looms as carmakers accelerate to electric future
PARIS (Reuters) - The world’s biggest diesel engine factory in Tremery, eastern France, is undergoing a radical overhaul - it’s switching to make electric motors.
Electric motors only have a fifth of the parts of a traditional diesel engine, putting a question mark over jobs.
Tremery’s owner Stellantis - newly created from the merger of Peugeot maker PSA and Fiat Chrysler to help tackle the industry changes - has said it won’t close factories and will seek to protect jobs.
The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, Britain’s car lobby group, expects 29 new fully-electric and seven plug-in hybrid models will be launched in the country this year, compared with 26 internal combustion engine models - only 14 of which will have diesel variants.

Electric engine has only 80% less parts than a diesel engine? Wut? I know the amount of moving parts is drastically less but I would have assumed the overall structure to be also simpler.

I think the part of the story that is missing in these statistics is how much faster the charging speeds have become.
While it’s true there are more cars per supercharger now, the cars spend less time at chargers; furthermore with longer range vehicles on the road, more charging is happening at homes instead of at superchargers.

Here in California, during peak travel periods, Tesla brings out some of those supercharger semi trucks that have approximately 20 stalls each. They are quite helpful to ease the burden during high use periods like holiday weekends.

Edit: Rob did a great job on breaking down this theory a few weeks ago. Should help ease your concerns.

Very valid points.

I have asked about utilisation metrics for the Supercharger network but there doesn't appear to be much in the public domain. I would like to think that at some time they start becoming available.

(Those mobile 20-stall chargers are going to be needed in Europe for the Summer season when we all head down to the Med.)