Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EQS is that 'designed from the ground up' car and still not competitive. It is decidedly much better, but is still not in the league of the S. Maybe in 2015 it would have been competitive...Maybe the EQS SUV will compete against the Model Y later this year? Highly unlikely

Much less range, much more money, much less efficiency due to much heavier. Configure one here and see for yourself.
It's still competition for Tesla.

Without any complex calculations, my estimate is that the main mechanical function of batteries in the battery pack is not that of rebar, but of something that is able to take both tensile ànd compressive forces.
The bending and torsional strength and rigidity of the pack will for a great part be derived from the outer layer, so the metal top and bottom.
For the optimal working of this the cells must be glued with great strength to the outer metal layers, so the fact that these layers are difficult to remove is logical.
I see it more akin to a foam or honeycomb core in a glass fiber or carbon fiber laminate.

If they are spending so much effort on cases like this, I wonder if this is an indication of how deep they are down the rabbit hole.

They've moved on from general cases to chasing more specific issues. Seems like that is an indication of significant progress.

Or perhaps this is just window dressing to shut up some critics.
Three things point to this being a good thing, but that is only proven by the actual output of the code (aka, how well it drives)

1. Release notes look good and they seem to be focused on the areas that I see on my drives that need the most improvement. Those being difficult left turns, keeping to the left during dynamic lane widening/thinning (US of course), longer distance path planning (I saw this in a Tweet that Dirty Tesla shared; don't have it handy but I hope this the result of Ashok's patent to more easily create ground truth) and going deep on round-a-bouts (I have four in my area that all provide very different results with the same inputs).
2. Taking on a very difficult, very public, very dangerous left turn. **IF** this solves other situations then great, if not, then it was overfit and is a waste of code; IMPO (In My Prof Opinion) this is the way to go and what I would have done.
3. Needs to be applicable to future builds and lead to single stack and unified code space. Which is appears to be doing...

It's still competition for Tesla.
Much like a horse is competitive with a car. If I can't buy a car and I can buy a horse, I'd pick it over mule.

Hopefully, one day, they'll realize they need to compete with whatever Tesla will come out with 3 years into the future.

Tesla is relentless and legacy ICE needs to be to compete.

Bullish
928E5857-319B-428D-8AAF-493AD9E60109.jpeg

My point is you can get anywhere you want without this unprotected left turn across all these lanes. You can always find a protected left eventually. Yes it will add travel time but it's also much safer because these unprotected lefts are only safe if people followed traffic laws. This particular unprotected left that is partially obscured may not be dangerous if people followed traffic laws and drove 55, however people are flying through here at 70 which increases the chance of an accident exponentially.
I think they need both.

Routing needs to be smart enough to keep people out of these situations.

FSD needs to be capable of dealing with the very small number of cases where avoiding an unprotected left is more than a 2-3 minute delay.

Much like a horse is competitive with a car. If I can't buy a car and I can buy a horse, I'd pick it over mule.

Hopefully, one day, they'll realize they need to compete with whatever Tesla will come out with 3 years into the future.

Tesla is relentless and legacy ICE needs to be to compete.
They get a bit of a free pass so long as there is a price umbrella they can squeeze under and Tesla is unable to meet demand. There is a bit of time where the people making compromise vehicles will be able to continue making a bit of money.

What's going to get crazy is when Tesla's production starts catching up to demand and Tesla starts ratcheting prices down.

It starts.
"Free money, get'cher free money here!"

As a US taxpayer, I'd rather give that money to Tesla to accomplish something. GMs track record with subsidy money isn't very good. Seems like after this investment, we'll still be on the hook to save them from bankruptcy later...

My wife delivered mail for 20+ years and her right hand drive Saturn wagon was by far the best delivery vehicle she used. She was rural, but for a big chunk of it, she delivered to suburban areas. Model Y would be fantastic for this.
A Cybertruck with a slide out vault insert would as well.
These vans by Oshkosh Defense are ridiculous.
Edit:

My wife did rural so it’s a different gig. Your point about range is spot on. Teslas are largely over-specced for this.
The electric Transit that Ford announced is likely the idea vehicle. Has an estimated 120 miles of range.
I agree that Oshkosh vans are a ridiculous choice and there are now far better choices that are commercially available.
The most troubling aspect of the USPS purchase is that only 40% of the vehicles will be electric - the rest are still ICE.

"According to a report from Reuters this morning, the US Postal Service now intends to purchase 25,000 EVs for mail deliveries, more than doubling its previous commitment of 10,019 from Oshkosh Defense. Of the first 50,000 mail delivery vehicles ordered form Oshkosh, at least 25,000 of them will be electric. Additionally, USPS shared intentions to purchase more than 34,500 commercial off-the-shelf delivery vehicles over the next two years.

It hopes that 20,000 of those commercial vehicles will be EVs, but the additional 14,500 will still be traditional gas combustion. To reach this EV goal, the company’s purchases will include “as many BEVs as are commercially available and consistent with our delivery profile.” Initially, the combined roll out of replacement postal service vehicles will total 84,500 units, 40% of which are now intended to be EVs. Again, this is welcomed news, but we’re not there yet."

Last edited:
I agree that Oshkosh vans are a ridiculous choice and there are now far better choices that are commercially available.
The most troubling aspect of the USPS purchase is that only 40% of the vehicles will be electric - the rest are still ICE.

"According to a report from Reuters this morning, the US Postal Service now intends to purchase 25,000 EVs for mail deliveries, more than doubling its previous commitment of 10,019 from Oshkosh Defense. Of the first 50,000 mail delivery vehicles ordered form Oshkosh, at least 25,000 of them will be electric. Additionally, USPS shared intentions to purchase more than 34,500 commercial off-the-shelf delivery vehicles over the next two years.

It hopes that 20,000 of those commercial vehicles will be EVs, but the additional 14,500 will still be traditional gas combustion. To reach this EV goal, the company’s purchases will include “as many BEVs as are commercially available and consistent with our delivery profile.” Initially, the combined roll out of replacement postal service vehicles will total 84,500 units, 40% of which are now intended to be EVs. Again, this is welcomed news, but we’re not there yet."

Do we know if these are real BEVs, or are they lumping hybrids in there? I would not put it past the gov to greenwash this thing.

While I agree, I suspect most US taxpayers don't understand how poorly performing GM really is, or what a liability they really are. This thread contains many highly informed investors that are the minority...

Sadly, this is true. Most of them can't even properly read the "parts content" label of Ford and GM products, and believe when they buy their cars they are "buying American".

The financials of these companies are next level compared to that, and Joe Sixpack doesn't have a clue how indebted they are, nor that they didn't pay back the bailout money.

That is also sad. He can’t even live his life and enjoy a modicum of privacy. Shame on the media whores.
I haven't been happy with some of his political stuff, but when it comes to his personal life I really agree. It's nobody's business who he sleeps with or what other consenting adult agrees to make a baby with him via IVF, surrogacy, or whatever.

He has a lot of enemies and they are getting desperate. The WSJ still pretends to not be owned by a tabloid company but clearly this was important enough to risk the curtain being pulled back.

Please, he goes out of his way to get attention. That's Elon, but that's the reality.

I'm not sure if he goes out of his way to get attention. But the richest man in the world is a genuinely interesting person. So Elon gets a ridiculous amount of attention whether he tries or not.

If Warren Buffet was the richest man in the world he wouldn't get nearly as much attention because to most people, he's just not that interesting.

Please, he goes out of his way to get attention. That's Elon, but that's the reality.
So he invited paparazzi to take pictures while on a short vacation recently? He asked the WSJ to make up a story about him and Brin’s wife? He asked the media to dig up the records about his twins with the SpaceX employee? His surrogate daughter with Grimes? He asked people to track his private jet 24/7?

Give me a break. Try a little context. There’s a difference between business attention and the crap that the original post was addressing and to which I was responding. And you know that.

Well, IF THIS WERE a thread about Mr Musk, or about Twitter, or about Mr Musk and Twitter, then it would be appropriate to dig into how often he posts there, and how it is that he has (including bots) around 100 million "followers". And then THAT would be a good start to learn how well he does go out of his way to get attention or out of his way to avoid it.

BUT THIS IS NOT SUCH A THREAD. And you all know what that means.