Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said FSD 11 to the masses this weekend. Anyone gotten it outside of the limited testers?

Would love to know this, too. In danger of wearing out my iPhone screen, as I’ve been hitting refresh on my app since yesterday.

I’m In Canada though, so not sure if that makes a difference. I’m on FSD beta, just not the latest release.

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I don't think it's useful to compare 2013 Tesla with 2023 EV startups. The market is totally different: the EV market in 2013 was a rounding error and EVs were at best a novelty for environmentally-minded rich people or techie weirdos, barely elevated from a garage project.

Standards of what people expect from an EV have also shifted enormously in the 10 years since (in large part because of Tesla), and the EV market is huge now, with EV companies commanding higher valuations at earlier stages.

Comparisons of "when Tesla was doing this in 2013..." or "when Tesla had this market cap..." seem like apples and oranges.
Spot on.

In 2012, there was widespread skepticism if EVs are even a thing or just a novelty for the rich. Media was in overdrive mode spreading FUD, some out of ignorance and many just malicious and hell bent on killing Tesla that they saw as something that will hurt their pay masters - fossil industry, big auto and dealerships.

Also then there was no eco-system and supply chain that was as well developed as it is now, including ZERO long distance chargers.

Things are much better now. There is no more a question if EVs are a viable thing. There is no more a question if anyone can build it affordable for the masses and be profitable too. Now you can see copycats with cylindrical batteries, big touch screens, heat pumps, software driven, OTA updates, trying to sell direct...

Last edited:
This reminded me that some time back I read about China plans to open a rail connection to the EU that bypassed Russian states. It would be another path to deliver Teslas to that part of the world in addition to shipping via the Suez Canal.

Looking forward to seeing this ramp up of rail shipments continue to grow, because there is still that demand problem to address. Tesla can't deliver them fast enough to satisfy the demand.

Edit: Found this graphic for Show-and-Tell...

3c236dbd-50d5-44b1-916a-2a0956fcc8d8_dd4d9faf.jpg
Is there a rail line across Bhosporous?.

And is the entire stretch just one Gauge?

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Since it's the weekend:

I'm watching NCAA basketball's "March Madness" the and my TV feed here in Thailand is England's "BT4 Sports." One of the relentless series of adverts comes from AA, which appears to be the English equivalent of AAA Auto break down services in America. Their ad selling this service starts with, of all vehicles, a Tesla Model 3. C'mon, seriously?! Maybe I'm paranoid, but of all the vehicles to choose to lead off your pitch for peace of mind in case of break downs.😤🤷‍♂️ In my mind it's a not so subliminal dig at Tesla and EVs and just another example of a relentless disinformation campaign. It will NOT succeed!

We, the people, haven't had a great track record with our elected officials. Sadly, donors have disproportionate influence and politicians often choose them over what's actually good for the constituents. Elon's not the only one, but he does have a megaphone, can have influence and clearly this impacts Tesla. I'm quite disheartened by these decisions...
You are suggesting Elon should have bribed some politicians to prevent this from going through?

Umm…. No, I don’t think this is what Elon should be doing “Instead of Twitter”. Or instead of anything. Elon generally stays out of the crappy side of politics and I’d prefer it that way. Even if it means Tesla gets the short end on occasion.

Since it's the weekend:

I'm watching NCAA basketball's "March Madness" the and my TV feed here in Thailand is England's "BT4 Sports." One of the relentless series of adverts comes from AA, which appears to be the English equivalent of AAA Auto break down services in America. Their ad selling this service starts with, of all vehicles, a Tesla Model 3. C'mon, seriously?! Maybe I'm paranoid, but of all the vehicles to choose to lead off your pitch for peace of mind in case of break downs.😤🤷‍♂️ In my mind it's a not so subliminal dig at Tesla and EVs and just another example of a relentless disinformation campaign. It will NOT succeed!

Oh I don’t know. I took at it as Tesla is now mainstream and even if people buy an electric car, they don’t have to worry. I actually think this is good for Tesla.

Oh I don’t know. I took at it as Tesla is now mainstream and even if people buy an electric car, they don’t have to worry. I actually think this is good for Tesla.
Ok. It's always good to get a different perspective. Sometimes that is difficult to see after years of disinformation and the relentless and ongoing sowing of the seeds of FUD when it comes to Tesla (and TSLA).

Last edited:
Spot on.

In 2012, there was widespread skepticism if EVs are even a thing or just a novelty for the rich. Media was in overdrive mode spreading FUD, some out of ignorance and many just malicious and hell bent on killing Tesla that they saw as something that will hurt their pay masters - fossil industry, big auto and dealerships.

Also then there was no eco-system and supply chain that was as well developed as it is now, including ZERO long distance chargers.

Things are much better now. There is no more a question if EVs are a viable thing. There is no more a question if anyone can build it affordable for the masses and be profitable too. Now you can see copycats with cylindrical batteries, big touch screens, heat pumps, software driven, OTA updates, trying to sell direct...
bit of history,
1 week before Tesla officially did a cross country trip in a Tesla, a father daughter duo did a New York city to California. The dad was following supercharger activations and permits (my memory fades so apologies if vaguely incorrect) and took a chance that a link would be completed by the time they got to the charger (it was!)
here is map of extent of Superchargers back in 2013- 2014 ( only 9 years ago!), only S 85's could make the longer jumps
(see recreation of Broder run, Feb 2013)
article links to Wired article

1679233692393.png

Tesla's that recreated the Broder run Feb 16, 2013, only S 85's could do the jump from rest area superchargers in Delaware to NYC
(a young couple heard about it and joined for a lark )(few S 60's in photo)

Attachments

• Broder run recreation 2_16_2013_about_noon_tesla_rockville_maryland.jpg
    Broder run recreation 2_16_2013_about_noon_tesla_rockville_maryland.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 68
Finally, all the EU Tesla customers can rejoice!

"Looks like 2022.44.11 includes the new vision autopark for USS-less cars: Tesla Vision Park Assist provides visual and audio alerts of surrounding objects. This feature uses the occupancy network to predict high-definition outlines of objects 360 degrees around the car."

That is, if it actually works well, lol 🫣

EDIT: This may be an FSD Beta build, if so, then I guess this unfortunately won't go out to EU customers.

Finally, all the EU Tesla customers can rejoice!

"Looks like 2022.44.11 includes the new vision autopark for USS-less cars: Tesla Vision Park Assist provides visual and audio alerts of surrounding objects. This feature uses the occupancy network to predict high-definition outlines of objects 360 degrees around the car."

That is, if it actually works well, lol 🫣

Why would this be europe only). Are there not non USS cars in North America?

Reactions: hobbes