Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Teslaunch Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit🚀GIVEAWAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla enthusiasts,

How's everyone doing? 👋 We've got some exciting news to share! The long-awaited Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit has finally passed the test and is officially launched for sale, meeting everyone's expectations🚗💨. This product meets our daily needs and conforms to our muscle memory.🛡👍

To celebrate these new additions, we're inviting 2 TMC fans to put these products to the test and share their honest reviews here and write an experience post on TMC!!! Let's take a look at the latest products👇

Tesla Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit

Product link:
Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit for Tesla

Product pictures:
SX GEAR SHIFT .png

Lottery quota:

2 for Model S/X car owners

How to Participate:
Simply drop a comment below sharing why you want to try.

Requirements:
1. Own Tesla Model S or Model X
2. Share your experience and share pictures and videos in this post and on the TMC post after receiving the product.

End date:
May 4, 2024

Thank you very much for sharing such a detailed experience with us. Could you please take a video of the trim panel's opening position? We'll have our technical development team take a look to see how to specifically address this issue. Once improved, we'll promptly arrange to send you new parts. 😊
Yes, I will try, though I already shaved the piece and it is now working smoothly. The problem is that if I play with it to make a video, I honk the horn and bother the neighbors. I will change it to a fart sound!

It was rubbing on the trim just a tiny bit, I think in the front/forward of the stalk. I shaved it all around anyway about 1-2 mm. Before I shaved it, it looked normal, but rubbed just a very very tiny bit. That was enough to prevent the stalk from freely springing back into place. If I lightly touched it, it went back.

So, just to be clear to everyone, in spite of my hyper-criticism above: I really like this product. The installation video made this very easy, and it is working well. Shipping was super fast (arrived in just a week from China). it just needs a bit more space around the stalks, and please include a small torx driver, which could double as an airbag release. I may suggest giving people the option to have the stalk do the horn or high beams when they order.

Reactions: strider
Hi! Thanks for your message.
1. This risk exists, but we assess the risk to be extremely low because the products are all based on Tesla's protocols, which are related to many operations of the vehicle. The probability that Tesla will modify its protocol for the sake of the lever is extremely small.

2. So sorry that we currently do not provide the splitter you mentioned.
Ryan Huber, who was working on a similar mod for his Plaid, reported that Tesla had changed the CAN bus messages related to indicators at least six times between when the Plaid was first delivered and June 2023 (the date of his message).

What is the plan to support customers if Tesla makes a change in the future that breaks functionality?

Ryan Huber, who was working on a similar mod for his Plaid, reported that Tesla had changed the CAN bus messages related to indicators at least six times between when the Plaid was first delivered and June 2023 (the date of his message).

What is the plan to support customers if Tesla makes a change in the future that breaks functionality?
I thought Ryan said that nothing they did had an adverse affect?
Still, it would be nice to be able to reprogram these if needed.

My hope is that Teslaunch provides a way that the buyer could update the software, in case Tesla ever makes a change that breaks things. I doubt Tesla would make this change on purpose, but they may have good reasons to change things in the future, and they won't care whether these stalks get affected or not.

Alternatively, Teslaunch could commit to updating the stalks if the user paid for return shipping. Teslaunch seems to be convinced that this issue is unlikely to occur - if this is true they would be taking little risk by making such a commitment.

Last edited:
I installed the stalks today. I am mostly okay with it, but certainly could be happier.

QUALITY:
Overall seems solid, with the caveat below.

INSTALL:
I would love to have said that it went without a hitch, but that was not the case.

The most frustrating part of the install was the screws they supplied for attaching the stocks. They require a torx screw, but the size, or more likely, the quality, was off. It seems that a torx 10 would fit, but they kept slipping. It seems almost that it is a size 11. Of 6 different torx bits I tried, I was finally able to get one to work, though I wasted an hour digging through my drawers to find it. Also, there is very little space behind the screws to fit the screwdriver. Fortunately, I had a small ratchet that I could attach to the bit

Suggestion: provide a cheap torx driver that fits your screws.

FYI: You will need a 10mm (3/8 works too) hex key, attached to a breaker bar. As in the video, this is a 2 person job.

I highly recommend that you get a fine point sharpie and mark the receiving thread on the steering column with the notch on the yoke (pics below). This way there is no question of alignment when you put the yoke back.

FITMENT:
This was a partial fail. The top trim piece they provided hits the left stalk. The moment I touched the stock, the horn started to honk non-stop (more on this below). I ended up having to take the yoke off again and re-fit everything. I was methodical and careful, but the same problem occurred. There just isn’t enough space in the hole for the left stalk to move freely, causing it to stick back. I could manually push in forward, but that was not good for me to live with. I ended up taking my Dremel to it to give it some extra space (pics below). It is a bit messy now, and the small bottom piece does not attach as well. They need to retool this and add about 2 mm of space. If they do, I am they are so kind as to send me replacement trim pieces.

FUNCTION
:
Most functions seem to work as intended, with instant response. A couple of times I had the hit Park twice to get it to respond.

I am a bit frustrated with the turn signals. There are two steps available, but both just turn on the turn signals. This may be Tesla limited.

Suggestion (if possible): make the first step a temporary signal (several seconds), and the second step stays on.

I am unable to activate Autopilot using the right stalk. I tried single press, double press, etc. Does not work.

Pulling back on the left stalk activates the horn. I guess that is for the older yokes without a center horn button. I find it a bit annoying and have accidentally honked my horn a few times.

Suggestion: Make it function as intended: pull back to flash high beams. Push forward to keep high beams on.

View attachment 1044654

View attachment 1044655
It does seem a bit strange that the fit issue would only be on one side, unless there was some left to right asymmetry in either the top trim piece or the way the two stalks fit to the column.

Is there any chance that there could have been a fit or installation issue with the left stalk, such that it didn't fit tightly to the column?

Hello! Please feel free to worry about this issue, if Tesla has really modified the system and affected the operation of this product. Our products will also be updated in time.

My hope is that Teslaunch provides a way that the buyer could update the software, in case Tesla ever makes a change that breaks things. I doubt Tesla would make this change on purpose, but they may have good reasons to change things in the future, and they won't care whether these stalks get affected or not.
I think you made your point. Multiple times. Overall, most people feel that the risk is small. If Tesla does end up breaking it, that would suck, but at least we got to use them until then. Regardless, Teslaunch said they will stand by their product. If you feel it is too risky, maybe this is not the right product for you.

It does seem a bit strange that the fit issue would only be on one side, unless there was some left to right asymmetry in either the top trim piece or the way the two stalks fit to the column.

Is there any chance that there could have been a fit or installation issue with the left stalk, such that it didn't fit tightly to the column?
Only the left stalk pushes forward and back, so the issue does not apply to the right side. It may not even affect all vehicles. Tesla is not know for their quality control and uniformity. It is really a minor issue and an easy fix, either on your own or by them.

I think you made your point. Multiple times. Overall, most people feel that the risk is small. If Tesla does end up breaking it, that would suck, but at least we got to use them until then. Regardless, Teslaunch said they will stand by their product. If you feel it is too risky, maybe this is not the right product for you.
Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't yet seen a statement from Teslaunch on how they would update already delivered products. The statement I saw was rather ambiguous, as it could be read to mean they would update the design of products they ship to address any changes Tesla makes.

Reactions: jlv1
Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't yet seen a statement from Teslaunch on how they would update already delivered products. The statement I saw was rather ambiguous, as it could be read to mean they would update the design of products they ship to address any changes Tesla makes.
Q4: Are there concerns about Tesla potentially disabling this feature in the future through third-party plugins ensuring CANBUS communication? (What would happen if they encoded or encrypted the CANBUS protocol in a major software update?)

A4: There is a risk, but we assess it to be very low. The product is based on Tesla's protocols, which are closely related to many vehicle operations. The probability of Tesla modifying their protocols for the lever is very low. Additionally, if such a situation arises, the lever supports OTA updates via smartphone, making the risk manageable.

from their site

Q4: Are there concerns about Tesla potentially disabling this feature in the future through third-party plugins ensuring CANBUS communication? (What would happen if they encoded or encrypted the CANBUS protocol in a major software update?)

A4: There is a risk, but we assess it to be very low. The product is based on Tesla's protocols, which are closely related to many vehicle operations. The probability of Tesla modifying their protocols for the lever is very low. Additionally, if such a situation arises, the lever supports OTA updates via smartphone, making the risk manageable.

from their site
This is new info. I'm glad that they have now explained that the stalks can be updated via a smartphone. Thanks!

If they can allow us to update it, I wonder if we could also customize it. For example, I'd rather push the left stalk to honk, rather than pull, and keep the pull for flashing high beams (most vehicles).

I have been using the stalks for over a week now. Sometimes the response lags a bit, but overall, seems to work fairly well.

Reactions: khorton