Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Teslaunch Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit🚀GIVEAWAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla enthusiasts,

How's everyone doing? 👋 We've got some exciting news to share! The long-awaited Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit has finally passed the test and is officially launched for sale, meeting everyone's expectations🚗💨. This product meets our daily needs and conforms to our muscle memory.🛡👍

To celebrate these new additions, we're inviting 2 TMC fans to put these products to the test and share their honest reviews here and write an experience post on TMC!!! Let's take a look at the latest products👇

Tesla Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit

Product link:
Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit for Tesla

Product pictures:
SX GEAR SHIFT .png

Lottery quota:

2 for Model S/X car owners

How to Participate:
Simply drop a comment below sharing why you want to try.

Requirements:
1. Own Tesla Model S or Model X
2. Share your experience and share pictures and videos in this post and on the TMC post after receiving the product.

End date:
May 4, 2024

This looks awesome and the installation looks very straight forward.
How do I get it ???? I have a 2024 MSP with round wheel (new center horn button).

Couple of questions.
  1. Any concern that Tesla might disable this in the future by securing third party adons that talk through the canbus? i.e. what if they encode or encrypt the canbus protocol on a major software update?
  2. Is there a splitter I could use so that I could continue to occasionally plug in my canbus dongle to view BMS data?
It's listed on their website: Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit for Tesla

Ryan Huber, who started this thread, said that while the canbus messages have changed over the years, the LIN bus messages have remained the same. So there's certainly a risk but it seems low.
I have a 2024 Model X (round wheel, center horn) and a 2023 Model S (round wheel, horn button). I'd definitely like to try this (I was directed here after posting this comment wishing there was a turn signal stalk: 2023 Model S is a disappointment.) . I'd have to end up getting one for each car if it works well.
The kit is listed on their website: Model X/S Gear Shift Stalk Switch Turn Signal Lever Kit for Tesla

BTW, if you include me in the give away, I'll do an installation and review video and post it within 2 days of receiving it. I don't have a lot of subscribers, but the last short I posted on youtube got over 6600 hits in just a few days:

The Linbus have changed for other things. Like the headlights. On the steering wheel side. They recently changed the timing from 10ms to 5ms or something like that. Can't remember.

Left stalk. Halfway down/up = 3 blink?
I made this on my X. And I don't have the 3 blink function. And that's annoying..

What is the source of the stalks? Are they 3/Y stalks? If so, are they new or used? If they are 3/Y stalks, what mods were required to make them work. I'm asking simply to get an idea if these are likely to be robust and reliable, or if they are a new design custom part whose reliability is not yet known.

Reactions: SilverGS and jlv1
What is the source of the stalks? Are they 3/Y stalks? If so, are they new or used? If they are 3/Y stalks, what mods were required to make them work. I'm asking simply to get an idea if these are likely to be robust and reliable, or if they are a new design custom part whose reliability is not yet known.
Hello! Thank you very much for your review. This product is brand new and produced by our own mold. Its features are similar to those of the 3/Y, for specific functions, please refer to the description below.

Function Display
Right Lever
R Gear: Push Upwards
N Gear: While in R Gear, Push Downwards
D Gear: While in N Gear, Push Downwards
P Gear: Press the Side Button
Activate Autopilot: Push Down Twice Continuously
Cruise Control: Press Once

Left Lever
High Beam Flash: Push Forward
Horn (New Function): Pull Backward
Right Turn Signal: Push Upwards
Left Turn Signal: Push Downwards
Wiper: Press the Side Button
Wiper with Water: Long Press Side Button

This product has undergone safety testing before being launched for sale. The main feature is the gear shift. When the vehicle speed exceeds 5 kilometers per hour, the vehicle system will refuse to shift gears. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and our technical department will answer them one by one. 😊

Forgot to add, I love how clean the installation is. IIRC, Ryan's mod had a box that would translate the commands from the stalks into messages that the car would recognize. I do not see that box in this install. Did you integrate it into the stalks themselves (or the cable) or did you figure out a way for the car to accept the stalk's messages natively? All that to say, well done. Looking forward to testing it out.
Hi! Our product implementation is based on Canbus protocol signals 😊

This looks awesome and the installation looks very straight forward.
How do I get it ???? I have a 2024 MSP with round wheel (new center horn button).

Couple of questions.
  1. Any concern that Tesla might disable this in the future by securing third party adons that talk through the canbus? i.e. what if they encode or encrypt the canbus protocol on a major software update?
  2. Is there a splitter I could use so that I could continue to occasionally plug in my canbus dongle to view BMS data?
Hi! Thanks for your message.
1. This risk exists, but we assess the risk to be extremely low because the products are all based on Tesla's protocols, which are related to many operations of the vehicle. The probability that Tesla will modify its protocol for the sake of the lever is extremely small.

2. So sorry that we currently do not provide the splitter you mentioned.

I installed the stalks today. I am mostly okay with it, but certainly could be happier.

QUALITY:
Overall seems solid, with the caveat below.

INSTALL:
I would love to have said that it went without a hitch, but that was not the case.

The most frustrating part of the install was the screws they supplied for attaching the stocks. They require a torx screw, but the size, or more likely, the quality, was off. It seems that a torx 10 would fit, but they kept slipping. It seems almost that it is a size 11. Of 6 different torx bits I tried, I was finally able to get one to work, though I wasted an hour digging through my drawers to find it. Also, there is very little space behind the screws to fit the screwdriver. Fortunately, I had a small ratchet that I could attach to the bit

Suggestion: provide a cheap torx driver that fits your screws.

FYI: You will need a 10mm (3/8 works too) hex key, attached to a breaker bar. As in the video, this is a 2 person job.

I highly recommend that you get a fine point sharpie and mark the receiving thread on the steering column with the notch on the yoke (pics below). This way there is no question of alignment when you put the yoke back.

FITMENT:
This was a partial fail. The top trim piece they provided hits the left stalk. The moment I touched the stock, the horn started to honk non-stop (more on this below). I ended up having to take the yoke off again and re-fit everything. I was methodical and careful, but the same problem occurred. There just isn’t enough space in the hole for the left stalk to move freely, causing it to stick back. I could manually push in forward, but that was not good for me to live with. I ended up taking my Dremel to it to give it some extra space (pics below). It is a bit messy now, and the small bottom piece does not attach as well. They need to retool this and add about 2 mm of space. If they do, I am they are so kind as to send me replacement trim pieces.

FUNCTION
:
Most functions seem to work as intended, with instant response. A couple of times I had the hit Park twice to get it to respond.

I am a bit frustrated with the turn signals. There are two steps available, but both just turn on the turn signals. This may be Tesla limited.

Suggestion (if possible): make the first step a temporary signal (several seconds), and the second step stays on.

I am unable to activate Autopilot using the right stalk. I tried single press, double press, etc. Does not work.

Pulling back on the left stalk activates the horn. I guess that is for the older yokes without a center horn button. I find it a bit annoying and have accidentally honked my horn a few times.

Suggestion: Make it function as intended: pull back to flash high beams. Push forward to keep high beams on.

Dremel.jpeg

Marked thread.jpeg

This is interesting - it seems attention to detail and fitment is not their strong suit. On a totally separate note, my wife ordered something from them for my birthday (4/22) at the beginning of April - still no sign of it and no updates, other than us knowing it is perhaps in the US somewhere.

Reactions: SilverGS
I second the suggestion that for those that have the center horn (i.e. 2024+) that the pulling the left stalk back activates the brights.

I have all the tools you could ever imagine so I'm not worried about the installation workflow. Hopefully the clearance on the cover is a glitch or something being corrected before mass production. I'm perfectly happy to grind out the difference with a dremel or trim with an xacto knife but if I'm going to make an installation video, it would be nice to not have to include that.

Hi @4SUPER9 thank you for the write-up. I agree with @terranx try turning off the Auto cancel turn signals under Settings/Lights. Because of the auto-cancel, the S/X doesn't seem to have the concept of the 3 blinks on half-push vs full on until a certain steering angle is hit.

Regarding Autopilot, have you tried changing the single click vs double click activation setting?

I don't recall having an issue with wheel alignment when I changed from the yoke to the Hansshow wheel but I will keep an eye on it. Same for the torx bit. I will do some testing before installation.

As someone without a center horn and how is currently fuming at the idea of paying tons of money to have it, I like the idea of pulling back on the left stalk for the horn. I guess it will depend on how sensitive it is. Is it possible it is still hitting the trim slightly which is making it more sensitive? Do you accidentally hit the horn more when turning right than left?

Hi @4SUPER9 thank you for the write-up. I agree with @terranx try turning off the Auto cancel turn signals under Settings/Lights. Because of the auto-cancel, the S/X doesn't seem to have the concept of the 3 blinks on half-push vs full on until a certain steering angle is hit.

Regarding Autopilot, have you tried changing the single click vs double click activation setting?

I don't recall having an issue with wheel alignment when I changed from the yoke to the Hansshow wheel but I will keep an eye on it. Same for the torx bit. I will do some testing before installation.

As someone without a center horn and how is currently fuming at the idea of paying tons of money to have it, I like the idea of pulling back on the left stalk for the horn. I guess it will depend on how sensitive it is. Is it possible it is still hitting the trim slightly which is making it more sensitive? Do you accidentally hit the horn more when turning right than left?
After driving with the stalks for longer, I no longer hit the horn. I don’t think that will be a problem, though I would still prefer it to operate as originally (for whatever that’s worth) intended. If I didn’t have a center horn button, I may want it too.
Trimming the opening was key and solved my issue. I am confident there is some car to car variation, and a little more room would make this more reliable for everyone.
It would be fabulous if we could program/customize this to our liking.
So far, so good. I happy to finally have stalks.

After driving with the stalks for longer, I no longer hit the horn. I don’t think that will be a problem, though I would still prefer it to operate as originally (for whatever that’s worth) intended. If I didn’t have a center horn button, I may want it too.
Trimming the opening was key and solved my issue. I am confident there is some car to car variation, and a little more room would make this more reliable for everyone.
It would be fabulous if we could program/customize this to our liking.
So far, so good. I happy to finally have stalks.
Thank you very much for sharing such a detailed experience with us. Could you please take a video of the trim panel's opening position? We'll have our technical development team take a look to see how to specifically address this issue. Once improved, we'll promptly arrange to send you new parts. 😊