Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say, my black 2003 Honda element sits right in front of my black tesla MY. When it's hot - both interiors are unbearable. In the Tesla, the ceramic Xpel XR (not just regular tint) has had a huge difference since I did it a few weeks ago. Seriously amazing, waynlre then I expected, and that's with only 70%. I can actually touch the steering wheel, and sit down without burning my legs. In the element... No chance. Not to mention all the Tesla in car & Tesla app features to vent windows, or keep cabin cool automatically. Sure you gotta charge up sooner, that's cheap and easy. Remote start in my element was OK, if I remembered to turn on AC when I parked it and gas costs a fortune to waste for AC. The Tesla glass roof has little difference that myself or my family can tell. Kids love it, and so do I. Very common place in most luxury (and non-luxury) vehicles now days (even Ford Cmax and Toyota do them). It's easy to be a downer on Tesla - Elon makes it easy with the X purchase and his opinions 😂 But hands down, the Tesla and app and features beat out any other car I've owned. Even my buddies that drive Maserati's, BMW, Mercedes etc. don't have any features that blow me away more then the MY. Plus, they're just regular cars with clunky apps and dashboards etc. I love that Tesla was a learning experience and not "just another car". That's my opinion. Heat in a car is gunna happen when it's hot out. Mitigation is all you can do, leverage features that are available and enjoy driving your sweet Tesla.

How are you planning on testing this? Some sort of thermometer?
Good question.

My initial thought was to park a car without the roof glass next to the Tesla and see how temperatures rise as the sun comes out.

Then I'm thinking I should just use the Tesla on separate days, taking measurements with and without something like cardboard covering the roof glass.

At any rate, I spend 0% of my time looking upwards while driving. I'd prefer a lighter weight material on the most 2nd most important place to reduce weight (first most important being unsprung mass in the wheels/suspension/brakes), and a material that attenuates noise instead of reflects it.

The glass roof seems like a gimmick to me, but perhaps there are engineering reasons to use it. I know glass has high compressive strength, so perhaps it contributes to structural rigidity?

Good question.

My initial thought was to park a car without the roof glass next to the Tesla and see how temperatures rise as the sun comes out.

Then I'm thinking I should just use the Tesla on separate days, taking measurements with and without something like cardboard covering the roof glass.

At any rate, I spend 0% of my time looking upwards while driving. I'd prefer a lighter weight material on the most 2nd most important place to reduce weight (first most important being unsprung mass in the wheels/suspension/brakes), and a material that attenuates noise instead of reflects it.

The glass roof seems like a gimmick to me, but perhaps there are engineering reasons to use it. I know glass has high compressive strength, so perhaps it contributes to structural rigidity?

I dont know, but I have seen enough threads of really wrecked teslas, including one that fell off a cliff and rolled down where the drivers are not only still with us, but actually pretty much ok, to think that whatever tesla is doing in the safety department for the model 3 is fine by me.

I personally know someone who had a medical episode while driving on a CA freeway in a model 3, at speed, and took their foot off the accelerator, got hit from behind by a semi truck, and is perfectly ok (car was totaled though). I always disliked even the sunroof option on cars, because I never opened it as I dont like the outside noise inside (I never drive with my windows down, either).

I had 3m crystalline tint put on the glass roof and it seems to help. I never look up there either, so would have preferred a metal roof, but I dont hate the look of the glass roof on the car either.

I always disliked even the sunroof option on cars, because I never opened it as I dont like the outside noise inside (I never drive with my windows down, either.

I dislike moon roofs 345 days out of the year, because it's either raining, not the right temperature, or too noisy to open. The main problem is some cars don't have enough headroom when equipped with the moon roof option. Would rather just pay a little less to not have it.

At any rate, I find the Model Y to be an attractive car, though I don't put much value in aesthetics.

Reactions: Skavatar
We live in Central Florida, and 2 weeks ago we had the Y tinted on all windows with EXPEL - front, sides, back, and roof. It has reached the 90's almost every day since, and I can definitely tell a big difference. Also, the tint guy said to just quickly vent the windows when coming out to the car for a couple of seconds, and then close them. He said the EXPEL would greatly help when cooling down the car after venting, and I have to say he is right. It cools down much much quicker, and the AC does not have to work as hard to do so.

this week the cabin temp got up to 134'F even with cabin protect fan only on, while checking the app around 2pm at work. the cabin protect usually keeps the temp around 119'F. the past two days the vanity mirror had fallen out when I got off work. i guess the adhesive got soft and lost its grip?

20240526_142632.jpg

this week the cabin temp got up to 134'F even with cabin protect fan only on, while checking the app around 2pm at work. the cabin protect usually keeps the temp around 119'F. the past two days the vanity mirror had fallen out when I got off work. i guess the adhesive got soft and lost its grip?

View attachment 1050899

sheesh! i'm soo glad i get to park in a parking garage at work during the day.

haven't really even hit actual summer yet in houston. this past weekend had record heat index.

Reactions: Skavatar
It can gets extremely hot in Texas is there anything you can do to prevent the heat from getting in the cabin if you cannot park in the shade? Also is that a problem for areas where it’s hot (the top is glass) The cabin protections already kicked on when it’s 80° outside.
I live in FL. 90 outside. 140 in the car. Glass roof 145 with laser temp gauge. No roof liner available for 2024 model 3. No tinted windows. Tesla needs to address this. AC works hard to maintain comfort level. Reduces battery range by 20%.