Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think climate and nav need to be fixed icons, rather than live in the dynamic doc. an example is the seat heater icons .. Nav is very nice and I like the new concept of "minimising" the navigation side of the screen. Climate.. well.. might be more useful than swapping up in some cases

To me the biggest miss is that the dashboard app doesn't live in the icon bar at the top (along side sentry or lock). It's a waste of space to have one icon just for when you need to record a dashboard event (yes I know I can use the horn)

As for nav, not anymore with the big car on park it isn't . Hence the need for the toggle I guess.
There is still home/work options available also I think you can search from the display - haven’t explored it fully.

The one thing which is bit overcomplicated was the not so obvious media options - as it brings up the big window again and to choose from their.

There is still home/work options available also I think you can search from the display - haven’t explored it fully.

The one thing which is bit overcomplicated was the not so obvious media options - as it brings up the big window again and to choose from their.
Right.

I think along with the (useless) climate button, this nav button, and the split of Arcade/Theater/Toybox (you can't switch between the three from top menu tabs anymore) following the split of Phone & SMS a couple releases ago, they want to give each functionality its own app as a standalone button in the dock.
I don't necessarily agree with this choice as this represents an extra tap for me while switching between most used functionalities, but I guess they wanted to rationalise the UI even if detrimental to the UX...
Maybe this heralds a proper App Store for 3rd party apps along the way...

Reactions: Pink Duck
To me the biggest miss is that the dashboard app doesn't live in the icon bar at the top (along side sentry or lock). It's a waste of space to have one icon just for when you need to record a dashboard event (yes I know I can use the horn)
Oddly I noticed in a very early image of this update that the dashcam icon was always present at the top of the screen, but it seems like it didn't make it to the full release.

I am enjoying this update, no major new features but good adjustments overall.
One thing I noticed is that when I engage Autosteer it will now set the speed to the speed limit whereas before it would set it to current driving speed.
If you read the settings it says it will choose whichever is highest and that's what I experienced before.
So before I would be doing 43 in a 40, engage Autosteer and the speed would be set to 43.
The new behaviour sets it to 40 and slows down which is much preferred and prevents me fiddling with the speed manually.

Climate seems a pointless button, seems intuitive to press the temperature.
Nav seems similarly pointless, isn't the map always there by default?
I did wonder about Climate and Nav. I saw one source mention Tesla added it for new cars that ship these will be default icons down the bottom. I guess maybe they get some people that don't realise or maybe just don't like swiping down another app so they give an icon for it. Similar I guess some new to the car don't find how to get into the Climate menu so Tesla is just making it easier.

So yes pointless for current owners that are used to the car but maybe saves them a few support requests with new owners is all.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
I had the update last weekend and it's OK but this morning my wife got in the car when I wasn't home and couldn't work out why the screen was just a huge red car! As I hadn't mentioned anything she assumed she had done something wrong and called me - hadn't tried 'drive' so of course the screen had remained like that.

After I explained that it could swipe back to 'normal' from the LH edge or by selecting 'drive' she muttered something like "why does this stupid company keep messing with stuff like this, I'm already late for my hair appointment" and then cut off the call.

By the time we were reunited a few minutes ago she had discovered that 'swiping' meant that you can turn the RH side of "irrelevant arcade game nonsense" as she's always described it, into full screen. But she then complained about being distracted by the sheer volume of stuff going on all around the car! "OK don't make it full screen then" I replied. There's no pleasing some people.

(...full screen at the traffic lights in heavy traffic & a busy junction does give an amazing amount of on screen 'action' and it's a nice touch to have a close up of the relevant nav map area bleeding into the top LH corner of the screen)

Anyway, on this occasion I thought it best to comment on the hair-do and that seems to have done the trick.

I had the update last weekend and it's OK but this morning my wife got in the car when I wasn't home and couldn't work out why the screen was just a huge red car! As I hadn't mentioned anything she assumed she had done something wrong and called me - hadn't tried 'drive' so of course the screen had remained like that.

After I explained that it could swipe back to 'normal' from the LH edge or by selecting 'drive' she muttered something like "why does this stupid company keep messing with stuff like this, I'm already late for my hair appointment" and then cut off the call.

By the time we were reunited a few minutes ago she had discovered that 'swiping' meant that you can turn the RH side of "irrelevant arcade game nonsense" as she's always described it, into full screen. But she then complained about being distracted by the sheer volume of stuff going on all around the car! "OK don't make it full screen then" I replied. There's no pleasing some people.

(...full screen at the traffic lights in heavy traffic & a busy junction does give an amazing amount of on screen 'action' and it's a nice touch to have a close up of the relevant nav map area bleeding into the top LH corner of the screen)

Anyway, on this occasion I thought it best to comment on the hair-do and that seems to have done the trick.
It is annoying when UK phone networks drop calls just before our wives are about to say “Ah thanks for filling me in on all of that. You’re the best hubbie ever, love you so much.” Always seem to get cut off before that bit comes 😂

• Funny
Reactions: KennethS and Drew57
There’s been 2 bug fix releases in recent days, a .9 and a .11, but as those and .8 are all rolling out it looks like they’re for specific models/regions. As a guess that’s caused them to slow down a bit while they worked it out.