Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding Level 2 Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please help me understand the difference among level 2 chargers? I’ve read that the miles per hour can vary greatly. I’ve looked on PlugShare but it doesn’t seem as though it identifies how fast the chargers are. Thank you!

Sometimes it helps to look at the check ins people have made for the charger. There is a view all check ins button. Some people will post charge stats, ie amps, volts and how many miles per hour it equates to for their specific vehicle.

Can someone please help me understand the difference among level 2 chargers? I’ve read that the miles per hour can vary greatly. I’ve looked on PlugShare but it doesn’t seem as though it identifies how fast the chargers are. Thank you!

You have to think of charging rate in terms of amperage and voltage. Just like when you fill gas in an ICE car, you're not adding miles, you're adding energy.

the mi/hr reading you see is just a computer extrapolation of what it thinks how much range you can get in an hour of charging, but that can obviously cary.

Basically the majority of public L2 chargers out there are 30A on 208V circuits. thats ~15mph.

The higher your A and V, the faster its charging.

Most level 2 chargers I’ve used are 6kW. That means if you charge for an hour it will add approx 6kWh. If the battery is 60kWh (60D), it takes 10hrs to charge it from 0 to 100%. This is just a simplified example.

I prefer using % to represent state of charge. Rated miles greatly varies depends on driving condition.

Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA